Insurance,Where do i stand?

My father in law is a transport manager and he just told me once they had an agency driver sent to them with Drink driving on his licence.He called the insurance company and they did the same and asked for an extra 500 quid to insure this agency driver.The company agreed and never once mentioned it to the agency driver.The company knew the risk.If they would swallow it for an unknown agency driver then it amazes me that my company would ask me.Sums my company up though.ALways trying to recoup cash for parking tickets etc from the drivers.The boss that asked me this is basically just a depot manager of sorts.He is middle management so the decision was probably made and discussed with people above him anyway.I’ll keep you posted when i get home tomorrow.I dont see that they really have a leg to stand on anyway.I think he knew that if he blindsided me,i would agree as they know i am desperate to drive again as having to rely on other drivers getting me around is driving me nuts.But i dont want it this way.The risk of damage is too high given my job and area i work in

On your related topic Konceppt:
I’ve had a couple of scrapes in my 6 years of London driving.Most of those were in a 7.5t, in which i’d
tear around trying to get all the pallets off.

Since i’ve been in a 26t i’ve slowed down a lot,and feel safer and more in control.

Slow down a bit is my advice, especially when you’re in a tight spot.

[and as others have said, don’t swallow that insurance excess.]

bigvern1:
Who the hell pays to go to work?

You will be suprised :laughing:

Easter-Star:

bigvern1:
Who the hell pays to go to work?

You will be suprised :laughing:

DCPC perhaps :open_mouth:

So i spoke to the boss.I recorded the conversation and we came to an agreement.It also turns out that there are 5 other drivers with similar agreements.I played the victimisation card and thats when that came to light.The guys with drink driving bans and those that have had more than 2 accidents have similar agreements (Though they are paying more excess than i was asked to)

So he said in the beginning the insurance company flat out refused to insure me and they had to fight for 4 weeks to even be offered this resolution.He said they looked into trade policys and private commercial insurance just for me and only to drive my lorry but the directors wouldnt accept it.In the end he said they were coming towards the conclusion that they may have to terminate my contract.He said that it wouldnt be unfair dismissal as the insurance companys reason for not insuring me was due to the 2 accidents and not the driving ban so effectively i put myself in the position.

So we negotiated.I agreed to pay the second 500 quid of the 1000 excess but only on damage to the company vehicle and not any third party damage.9 times out of ten the company vehicle doesnt get any damage anyway.He said any broken mirrors,lights etc would be covered by the company not me.We also agreed that i would only have to pay if there was evidence that the damage was caused by my negligence i.e) driving like a knob etc.
He said if i damage the vehicle getting into or out of the jobs we do that are in really tight places then i also wont have to pay as it was them that put me in that situation.He basically said that the agreement was mainly to satisfy the insurance company and that the chances that he will ever actually ask me for it will be slim to none unless of course i am drunk or negligent.
The company is also re-insuring in june so he said that they will likely not force the same stipulation at that time.He said this current insurance company seems to keep singling out one driver every month (basically any drivers that have accidents)
Also as a company we have been to no longer contact the insurance brokers directly when we have any incidents and to call the office and let them deal with it.I’m thinking they are probably regretting choosing this particular insurance group

In a situation like this it’s always a good idea to ask them to confirm the details in writing (so we all know where we stand etc) Perfectly reasonable to ask but you can bet they won’t

Pearl fisher:
In a situation like this it’s always a good idea to ask them to confirm the details in writing (so we all know where we stand etc) Perfectly reasonable to ask but you can bet they won’t

In a way,it kind of empowers me equally by not having anything in writing though doesnt it?

Your boss appears to be a decent approachable bloke.
He also appears to be a bit of a fool.
Why did this go through the insurance? They are minor things that could have been dealt with without informing the insurance company, The payout would be less than the excess.
Why didn’t he read the policy? He should know what the maximum number of points the insuance company will accept.
The insurance company are just trying it on, They can’t say £500 excess today, Then move the goal posts as soon as a claim comes in.

I’d ring the insurance company and claim to be a new customer and ask how many points they take into account.

limeyphil:
Your boss appears to be a decent approachable bloke.
He also appears to be a bit of a fool.
Why did this go through the insurance? They are minor things that could have been dealt with without informing the insurance company, The payout would be less than the excess.
Why didn’t he read the policy? He should know what the maximum number of points the insuance company will accept.
The insurance company are just trying it on, They can’t say £500 excess today, Then move the goal posts as soon as a claim comes in.

I’d ring the insurance company and claim to be a new customer and ask how many points they take into account.

Agreed the boss is a bit of a fool, he needs to forget that insurance company and go to a proper broker who will search round for the best deal for him. These comparison sites are only any good for a 50 something driver with null point and a secured garage and a cycle lock.

Seems to me that the person who has caused this situation is the one who came up with the policy of drivers ringing insurance company directly. I dare say that’s what the insurance company wanted.

Knocks and scrapes are part of the course and if your company had handled the damage and paid for the lens, then they wouldn’t have put themselves in the position

Remember that once the insurance company has been informed then a claim has been generated. If their driver was at fault then a claim has been made then it dos nt matter if its a tenner or millions looks just the same to them.

Glad to see that you have managed to sort out with them though, Ideals are fine but when you have a family there often a luxury you can’t afford

My wife had a minor accident some years back. She slipped off the clutch and did a little damage to another car.
I phoned the insurance company with a “hyperthetical” scenario of the event. I decided to pay for the damage myself.
The following year the renewal was double what we had paid before. They told me it was because of my wifes accident.
Trying it on is what insurance companies do.
I told them to get stuffed and went elsewhere.