Insurance rip off

Had a wagon blown over in January and completley written off, but not the trailer, Our Insurance began on on 23.12.2011, and its a fleet Insurance! so the wagon had only been insured 3 weeks, got a replacement vehicle staight away, and asked for the Insurance from the written off vehicle to be put over to the the replacement vehicle, guess what because the wagon had been written off you dont get a return premium,(so they say) so the replacement vehcile was added on to our Insurance as an additional vehicle and another £2500.00, as anyone else had this or can anyone give me advice, is this the norm in the circumstances?

this is the norm where write offs are concerned, it is exactly the same where your car insurance is concened

But shouldn’t it have gone on to the replacement vehicle, surley once a vehcile is written off you dont pay for two on your insurance cover till the expiry date.

Unfortunately not: effectively once the vehicle is determined to be a Total Loss (i.e. written off) effectively that cancels the policy effective on that vehicle, and as they have had to pay out on that to you, there is no return premium.

Had my truck stolen 3 weeks after renewing the insurance and was expecting to lose the money but when I spoke to my broker about insuring a replacement they just charged a bit for the extra value.

shuttlespanker:
this is the norm where write offs are concerned, it is exactly the same where your car insurance is concened

are you sure its the same for cars :question: ,we had a car wrote of 8/9 months ish ago and we just changed the insurance over too the new car we bought,the insurance was with 1st central,maybe some cancel it,make you start again but they didnt,im fairly positive there was not even any extra to pay as cars were very similar.but we definately didnt have to start a new policy

ady1:
are you sure its the same for cars :question: ,we had a car wrote of 8/9 months ish ago and we just changed the insurance over too the new car we bought

Who was at fault in the accident? Someone on your insurance or a third party? If it was a third party then the policy will always carry on as the loss is claimed off their insurance. If it was your own fault then more often than not the policy ends when they’ve paid out.

Paul

No one really was at fault, it was blown over in the wind and thank fully no 3rd party was involved.

red95xf:
No one really was at fault, it was blown over in the wind and thank fully no 3rd party was involved.

yeah, so, as Repton said, it was your fault, but not your fault, the insurance will still pay out, but it is you claiming off your policy, not someone elses, so, it’s technically your fault

that is why the insurance was cancelled

if it was someone else that caused the write off and you could claim off there insurance, then it would carry on because your insurance havent paid out

It has always been this way. you insure the vehicle against accident damage and or total loss, you totaly lost it, they paid you as agreed, why do you think they should then give you a credit note to be used against the insurance on another vehicle?

makes me think paying insurance premiums in monthly instalments could be a good idea :wink:

Denis F:
makes me think paying insurance premiums in monthly instalments could be a good idea :wink:

Not sure it works that way though, especially with HGV insurance. I paid monthly my first year but the finance was with a 3rd party company which presumably would still want paying regardless.

Paul

red95xf:

No one was at fault. This is what they call “AN ACT OF GOD” So therefore you have to claim of your insurance and the minute they pay you the policy is ended and you have to take a new one out for the new truck.