Insurance Checks?

I have tried looking through and searching the forums for an answer but haven’t come to much so hope this is the best place for it.

So I have been driving class 2 trucks since last July and class 1 since about a month ago.

I’ve recently scored myself what I think is a sort of dream job…

However last I have spoken with them was they were going to put me on the insurance and we’ll get started. That’s about as far as it’s got now so as disappointed as I am I’m going to have to start thinking about alternatives.

We had been in contact since around November and have touched base at least every few weeks. It’s been around a month since I have last been over there and filled a form out. I’ve called 3 times since and popped an email the start of the week. Now here’s my predicament…

I filled the form out quite quickly as we were chatting at the same time and was really mega tired. Lol still am. Being on the agency with no time off for the past year has slowly ground me down and killed me completely lol. Finally have a week off in a week’s time as I’m finally employed somewhere full time now. But that’s not the job I want to stay at.

Anyway I said that I had no accidents to him and rightly he questioned it. So I said I had no proper accidents, which is correct in my eyes. Probably not the insurer mind. But I told him of the two incidents I did have. I had one on my literal first day driving a 7.5 tonne on agency. Dodgy company sat nav sent me down a small estate and I clipped a van with the larger back end. And another in a 21 tonne rear steer when it had clutch / drive issues and I lost all power. Pulled in quickly and again clipped a van. Second one there was just a light lense.

My concern is what checks are involved when you give your details to be insured? I gave my national insurance and believe perhaps my driving license number I cannot remember 100%.

On top of that I hadn’t mentioned 2 incidents in my personal car. It was over a year ago and I think at least the form wanted the past year. One where an old lady drove straight in the side of me in a car park. Another where one broke for no reason ( I wasn’t paying enough attention too) and I went into the back of her. Again though this was so minor my car still has the same bumper and you cannot notice lol. Was like at 4mph. Up until recently I have had no incidents!

Anyway waffling on. I’m aware I probably should have wrote these down now but I never have paid too much attention to these things previously and haven’t had any issues, but lesson learnt if this is the case.

Now am I being ghosted here because of whatever has come up or am I being paranoid? At this stage I don’t want to bring these things up if he has been genuinely busy. However if it is something that would of affected things I would like to know to approach him again. At least say my piece, lesson learned and find somewhere else.

Sorry for the wordiness there.

Thanks,

James.

No such thing…

As a ‘proper’ accident. You’re either involved in a collision or your not.

My understanding is the insurance companies cross reference everyone involved in RTCs so, you’re going to be in the database, which will include your incidents with your car too.

As to whether or not that’s the reason behind you not getting your dream job only the company can say.

Avoidable incidents is what he classes them as too lol.

Thank you for the quick response though.

Well unless any further information comes through here I will try and sit tight for the next couple of weeks before a last bit of contact. Then I shall move onto plan B.

Cheers.

They’re stringing you along, they don’t want you.

Both of those things you listed are claimable accidents. You might not think they are in your mind but they are and I’m sure if someone caught your car with their truck you’d be wanting to claim against their insurance.

For future reference the insurance industry have a database known as the Motor Insurance Bureau Database. All claims are put on, whether you’re at fault or not and regardless of what you’re driving, that so whether you’ve had a claim on your car or in a truck for an employer your name will be on there in association with a claim. Insurers will do a search for that if a claim is made in your name in the future and can use non-disclosure when you take out the policy as a reason not to pay out and / or cancel the policy.

You may also be unaware that any claim you have as a truck driver, even on employers insurance, must be declared when taking out or renewing car insurance too because of the above. Whilst many don’t and think they’re getting away with it it’ll be when they put in a claim that they’ll find out they wish they had when the insurer turns around and says no.

Being on the agency with no time off for the past year has slowly ground me down and killed me completely lol.

If you are on PAYE you are entitled to 5.6 weeks holiday even on agency and you should be taking them, your employer should be making you take them. Regardless of that if you’re feeling mega tired now after just a year of it is truck driving really for you? The hours aren’t going to get any better being employed.

Thank you for your information there.

With regards to holiday entitlement my agency have taken all of that to make up my hourly pay. It’s really not great. My other half is an accountant and looked over it and even what they are doing is heavily rounded down / probably not legal. But I’ve funded this myself and have bills to pay and have to work hard until it pays off.

Regarding hours I was doing much more previously but I am doing a lot of heavy lifting now (dray work) but you gotta climb the ladder.

Cheers again though.

Lesson learned, I did my best and was not meant to be.

James64h:
With regards to holiday entitlement my agency have taken all of that to make up my hourly pay. It’s really not great.

If you are on PAYE, that’s called “rolled-up holiday pay” and it’s illegal, no ifs, no buts.

Oh okay.

Yeah I have just looked at my payslip now and it states PAYE.

Well I have just recently left them for a full-time position now. Although I do still do odd bits for them.

Be interested to look further into that though if you have any more information? Would definitely like to be back dated something. I won’t hold my breath though lol.

Thank you again though.

Did you laugh out loud during the interview as often as you post?

They might have thought you was a bit simple.

For anyone that probably wasn’t wondering… I got the job okay and was over worrying. Been there about 6 Months and going lovely.

Thanks for the update. Too often people don’t leaving things hanging and it is nice to hear the outcome. Glad it is going OK for you.

You should also look into claiming the holiday pay you are owed from agency. Its YOUR money.
gov.uk/make-money-claim
gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- … ntitlement