Instructor qualifications

Following on from another thread, and not wishing to hijack more than I already have, I thought I’d post this information to help newbies with their training provider decision.

LGV instructors only have to be LGV drivers - this is unlike cars where the instructor has to be qualified. There is a voluntary register that a minority of LGV instructors have joined. Apart from substantial fees, the trainer has to take a theory test (roughly similar to the one for drivers but including a chunk of questions on training techniques, rules and regs and driver licencing), a hazard perception test, a driving test (max 6 minor marks for a pass) and then a test of instructional ability. The last one is the “killer”. In fact I know of one trainer in Nottm who has failed this repeatedly over a number of years and has now given up. He’s still taking money from people of course.

Many trainers are let down by their lack of facilities and standards of truck. To become a DSA Accredited Centre you have to show a private reversing area, correct documentation for each and every truck and the trucks must be equipped with fire extinguisher, first aid kit and warning triangle. The trucks are checked each year by a senior examiner from DSA complete with all the records. These centres have to produce a syllabus showing the order of events during training, they must keep detailed training progress reports and all this is subject to scrutiny. Most trainers dont bother with any of this.

To achieve and maintain the status of DSA Accredited centre, the establishment may only employ fully qualified and registered DSA instructors with the exception of trainers reaching the end of their qualification process. (This mirrors the car system pretty well).

To check if a centre is actually accredited - plenty claim to be but are not - there is a certificate which has to be displayed in an obvious place eg reception area. All instructors who are fully qualified and registered have a blue badge with their photo on it displayed on the windscreen. If it’s not there, ask why not. It probably doesn’t exist. The badge also stipulates the classes of vehicle that person is qualified and registed to train on together with an expiry date. All except the photo is clearly visible from the outside of the truck. Trainers in the latter stages of qualification have certificates for each pass through the process. These people can only train once they are up to the test of instructional ability though they may not have taken/passed this. Their work has to be overseen for 20% of the time by a qualified instructor.

I hope this shows, in part, the hoops that some of us jump through to prove our worth. As always, I must make it clear that there are some perfectly good trainers out there who have yet to see the value of being registered.

From the public’s point of view, being accredited means to us that the standards MUST be maintained in all departments. The very last thing we would want is a complaint into the DSA because, for us, they have teeth. The guy trundling about and parking in the pub car park is completely out of the scope of DSA. And this, I believe, leaves the punter in a vulnerable position.

As always, buyer beware.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I guess Pete by the detail and passion of your post that you have reached a landmark

You are of course correct what you say but mate you are pushing water uphill. Your proudest and greatest achievement is not you being DSA Reg but your business being accredited. That is indeed the very top of the tree

Peter is not the only company registered with the DSA but only 9 others are. Peter constantly remarks that there are many good trainers not on the register indeed I employ one Andy.

I have said before that I would send my children to Pete Smythe training. He is the UK market leader at this game believe me.

Stick to your guns Pete we both know you’re doing it right.

P.S I am the 2nd best trainer in the UK and about the 20th best training company

Peter and all the other instructors on here.

There is actually a desire within the dsa to make the register compulsory. The task now is to come up with a scheme that is workable and not too costly so that there is chance of getting it approved by the new minister.

I have not spoken to any trainer that would be against the register being compulsory but no doubt there would be someone out there that would be against it so it would be interesting to hear their views?

Talking to my colleagues they would like to see the initial qualification remaining the same with scope that a trainee instructor can still train under the supervision of a qualified instructor. To re-register after a 4 year period the senior examiner would conduct a check test the same as the cars instead of doing a part 2 & 3 again.

Any thoughts?

I would not be against a compulsory LGV instructor register providing it was done properly where the examiner went out with the instructor and a trainee to see exactly how they did things with them and not with an examiner doing role play

I would never be able to be on such a register if the HPT was a requirement because I have a condition which means I cannot see 3D images on a 2D screen unless they are still for a few seconds (have to watch a film etc a few times or keep freezing it to get the backgound stuff !!) - there is no DSA leeway on the HPT - my MP tried for months

If you go for the check test as an ongoing qualifier, then you loose the driving ability test. Also what happens when the training vehicle only has 2 seats? It’s then impossible for the examiner to supervise the instruction. I don’t understand why the DSA would even consider the cost of operating any such register; all their costs are passed on and recouped. Dare I mention the Axis Building?

Personally, I don’t care how the system is set up - provided there is something in place that will effectively ensure standards within the industry. In a perfect world, there would be a method for ensuring “fair trading” as well as professional instruction. There seems to be a growing trend for giving misleading information - particularly in respect of driver cpc for instance.

I guess Pete by the detail and passion of your post that you have reached a landmark

You are of course correct what you say but mate you are pushing water uphill. Your proudest and greatest achievement is not you being DSA Reg but your business being accredited. That is indeed the very top of the tree

Peter is not the only company registered with the DSA but only 9 others are. Peter constantly remarks that there are many good trainers not on the register indeed I employ one Andy.

I have said before that I would send my children to Pete Smythe training. He is the UK market leader at this game believe me.

Stick to your guns Pete we both know you’re doing it right.

P.S I am the 2nd best trainer in the UK and about the 20th best training company

You say the nicest things John!

And nothing for me to argue with - what I am going to do now!

My guess is that many one man band trainers have never had any assessment of their instructional ability . Would be a good idea if this was reviewed annually .

My guess is that many one man band trainers have never had any assessment of their instructional ability . Would be a good idea if this was reviewed annually .

It’s not just one man bands - there are some really poor instructors working for larger schools.

Clearly, everyone’s performance should be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure a continuous high standard of training.