Instructed to go down 7.5t road on test

Passed my class C test with 3 minors the other day. Whilst I was warned by my instructor, I still found it odd that on the test I was asked to turn into a road clearly marked with 7.5t limit.

Apparently it was a test route before the restriction was put in place and council had given permission for it still to be used on Test only. BUT not for tuition purposes!! So I was unable to practice the road.

But surely it goes against everything when the DSA allow you to drive a 12t truck down a road with 7.5t limit. Why not just leave that road out of the route??

Oh well I still passed, just thought it was silly really.

Well done on your pass.

In the real world you will have loading / unloading points within a 7.5t limit and its up to you to make the decision of whether you should use that road or find another access road (if available)

dar1976:
Well done on your pass.

In the real world you will have loading / unloading points within a 7.5t limit and its up to you to make the decision of whether you should use that road or find another access road (if available)

Makes sense actually, To be honest I didn’t think of that. So cheers :slight_smile:

Many years ago the routes at Derby test centre (long since defunct) all used 7.5. limits. It was impossible to do “test route training”. (The value of this is a discussion for another time!).

Congratulations on the pass.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I had the same thing on my test.

There’s a test route when at Botley which uses a 7.5 limit. Examiners have special dispensation to use the road.
I think its a good idea as the examiner can see how you react to a real situation instead of a test route you’ve spent the past 3 days learning.

When I did my class 2 training, instructor told me one day that he’d be taking me through a weight limit on day, to see if I noticed it or not.

I didn’t. Stopped me dead in my tracks, and gave me a bollocking.

On my test 2 days later, examiner brought me to the same place, but from the other direction.

I saw the sign, and it didn’t actually specify a weight limit, just said “HGV route to Newcastle” with an arrow pointing left, so I chucked on my indicator and thought, “this bugger’s not having me”

“Whoaaa, STOP THE VEHICLE” he yelled.

Asked me what the blazes I was doing. I informed him about the sign, and my knowledge of the weight limit from the other side.

“Not here to catch you out mate, got better things to do, carry on straight”

Got down to the junction about 500yds down the road, and some disabled numpty had parked up alongside an island with a keep left sign on it, no way in this world would I have fitted through, so I just said it as I saw it, “can’t get through there, going to have to go around the other side of it”

To be honest, thought after he’d stopped me in the middle of the road, for failing to follow an instruction, I’d fluffed it anyway, and was proper peed off.

■■■■ me, could have knocked me down with a feather when we got back to the test centre and he passed me with 3 minors. (Nothing to do with anything mentioned above)

My test they tried to catch me out,

He told me to continue on , but 700 yards ahead the road went to 7.5t so I veered right the instruction on the sign for prohibited traffic, exactly what you should do,

Allowing access for test conditions is wrong in my opinion if you can’t go down it in every day situation you can’t on your test.

mikey-t:
My test they tried to catch me out,

He told me to continue on , but 700 yards ahead the road went to 7.5t so I veered right the instruction on the sign for prohibited traffic, exactly what you should do,

Allowing access for test conditions is wrong in my opinion if you can’t go down it in every day situation you can’t on your test.

There is a big discussion going on about the army using these roads as test and training routes, this incident will just strengthen their case

thisishullandeastriding.co.u … z2f46Jw6Gx

hi, it may have been one of your minors,might have been testing your vigilance