Inspecting a load

Hi,

I’m in the process of doing my HGV training and just had a quick question. I no some RDC’s and warehouses make the driver stay in the cab for health and safety reasons when (un)loading. Obviously its a legal requirement for the driver to observe this task to ensure they are happy before they go on the road as the driver takes legal responsibility for the loading. So how does that work in real life? Are the drivers just expected to break the law or are there opportunities to inspect the load before closing the doors/curtains?

Cheers

Nothing to worry about because you haven’t ventured onto to the public highway. When you’re done loading, either stick your head around the back of the truck of pop a curtain. If you aren’t happy with it, don’t move off the dock and go back to see the loaders. Can’t say they will be happy but as you say, it comes down on your head if something were to happen.

There isn’t an easy answer to this.

If you consult the HSE website regarding transport safety and load safety http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/loadsafety/ it gives us some clues. On the whole it suggests your employer should provide loading plans and advice/help. It suggests the consignor should ensure the load is secured etc. it is all a good evening reading.

Ultimately in the UK none of that stuff above happens and the driver is basically dumped on and blamed for everything. Radar19 has given just about the best advice you will get. Only problem is that in reality sticking your head through the back doors doesn’t achieve a lot as you can’t see most of the load. Opening the curtains probably puts you in danger of something falling out! But there is little else you can do.

I personally would insist on a loading plan if the trailer was sealed. No loading plan or details of how it is all loaded and secured then it aint going on the road. I would try my best to be present during loading so that I can direct the loading to be as I want.

Here’s the problem. Whilst you are in the customers yard you come under the Health & Safety at Work act and THEY are fully responsible for your safety (hence H&S rules on some sites) and can be prosecuted should you be injured etc. Once you leave the site you are under road traffic law which makes YOU responsible.

Here’s a snippet from the HSE website. if only it worked like that!!

Planning your load
Planning how you secure the load is an important step to keeping workers safe.
Loading plans can help to flag up issues before they become problems.
Things to be considered will vary but could include:
Whether the driver will witness loading.
Who will apply the load restraints and what they should be.
How the load will be placed on the trailer bed.
Who will unload the vehicle and what equipment will be required.
Who the driver should report to on arrival.
What the driver should do if the load shifts during the journey.
Your employer should give you a loading plan - Full written details about every load you carry
The consignor – the person responsible for sending the load – is responsible for ensuring that the load is loaded so that it does not present a danger to others. It is important that the driver knows how the load has been secured, especially if he has not seen it loaded. This information should also be available to the delivery site.
Don’t just rely on word of mouth.
Planning
Time spent thinking about safe loading can help prevent all the problems of an unsafe load so make sure you:
Have the correct equipment on your premises to load vehicles safely.
Prepare a loading plan for each journey, to include information about:
how the load is to be secured; and
the location and layout of each delivery site, including unloading equipment and facilities.
Delivery plan should travel with the load
If you are a driver, you should keep this loading plan with you at all stages of the delivery. If there is anything you don’t understand in the loading plan, ask someone before you drive away.
How you can help make loading and unloading safer
Look at what other companies do – if you see a good idea, suggest it to your safety advisor or supervisor.
Report all ‘near miss’ incidents.
Ask your employer about training.

Think most loaders will get it right to begin with… as they don’t really want drivers making waves about how your trailer has been loaded…

Can’t answer for warehouses but regularly go into the Cooperative RDC at Newhouse and can tell you that I’ve always seen the guys loading there secure the load well once they’ve finished.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I was mostly in the mind set of if I’m in their yard I cant set foot on the tarmac at ANY time. So id be backing onto the bay, waiting then getting a green light and setting of. That made me a bit nervous about how the load was secured etc.

Thanks again

Jonny

Some places can be really ■■■■ about you wandering around but if you are working on your trailer then you should be ok. One thing to watch for though is places where you can’t jump up on your trailer bed. Most places will have these steps on wheels and they expect you to use them, don’t go thinking you can ignore this. I did once and did I get a bollocking from the site foreman!