Insomnia NOT sleep aponea

Good Morning all, can anyone assist with some information regarding insomnia, specifically does anyone know the GP’s and DVLA’s policy on LGV Drivers reporting with this problem? The sufferer in this case is plagued by insomnia and is afraid to seek help in case the knee jerk reaction is to suspend his licence, and/or means he does not pass the medical next time round. I am informed he is not suffering from sleep aponea (although I don’t know if it is a genuine medical diagnosis which has ruled this out) and is not inclined to fall asleep unwittingly once awake, but is adversely affecting his energy levels and quality of life. I am genuinely concerned for his welfare in this regard but can totally understand his reluctance in letting the genie out of the bottle. Most grateful for any information

Stop worrying, that may be the cause! Insomnia can be cured and there are many ways. Go an see a professional and get it sorted.

Tell him to get amnesia.Problem solved.

Southpaw1971:
Good Morning all, can anyone assist with some information regarding insomnia, specifically does anyone know the GP’s and DVLA’s policy on LGV Drivers reporting with this problem? The sufferer in this case is plagued by insomnia and is afraid to seek help in case the knee jerk reaction is to suspend his licence, and/or means he does not pass the medical next time round. I am informed he is not suffering from sleep aponea (although I don’t know if it is a genuine medical diagnosis which has ruled this out) and is not inclined to fall asleep unwittingly once awake, but is adversely affecting his energy levels and quality of life. I am genuinely concerned for his welfare in this regard but can totally understand his reluctance in letting the genie out of the bottle. Most grateful for any information

Given the amount of help given if one is put out if work, temporarily or permanently on loss if licence, it’s easy to understand a reluctance to see a Doc.
But it really is necessary.
Unlikely though it is in the case you’re describing, what if he turned into the next Glasgow bin man?
Encourage him to get help. A competent Dr won’t write to the DVLA without good cause. And continuing as he is without medical help obviously isn’t working for him.

Franglais:
Unlikely though it is in the case you’re describing, what if he turned into the next Glasgow bin man?

He got let off just like the tram driver that fell a sleep in London so stop needlessly worrying people.

mrginge:

Franglais:

He got let off just like the tram driver that fell a sleep in London so stop needlessly worrying people.

Aye.
One wonders about justice sometimes.
Maybe we are discussing someone with a bit of a brain and a bit of a conscience in this case?

For sleep insomnia, if he goes to see his GP, he will likely be prescribed 75mg of Amitriptyline tablets, which is a common dose for sleep insomnia issues.

You keep yourHGV licence and don’t need to inform the DVLA while on that specific medicine, as long as you are comfortable in yourself and do not believe your driving is affected.

It will likely knock him out for a good 10-12 hours, so probably best to start it on a couple of break days to see the effect, then schedule when he takes them around his shifts - As he’ll almost certainly need 12 hours off while getting used to them

If he really wants to avoid the GP, he can take a trip to Boots and try their sleeping tablets. Be warned, if you take them often, you will become reliant on them and it’s a ■■■■■ to get off of them with even more insomnia.

Might be better to leave medication as a last resort. Once you start taking pills to get to sleep, it can be a slippery slope.

Maybe try some of these methods first…

healthline.com/health/healt … e-remedies

Hyh:
For sleep insomnia, if he goes to see his GP, he will likely be prescribed 75mg of Amitriptyline tablets, which is a common dose for sleep insomnia issues.

That stuff is Evil zb.Can remember my late mum refusing to take it and the hospital ‘doctors’ effectively forcing her together with Pregablin among others.

If your body wants to stay awake then let it biology wins out in the end.While there’s a responsibility as a driver in that regard.Loss of wages is better than a crash.

Could try Melatonin pills. Mate says they’re good and you can get them over the counter I think without a prescription.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I can paraphrase the late, great Dipper Dave, (And I mean this in all seriousness) having a quick knuckle shuffle before bed can work wonders, so I’m reliably informed.

Seriously if it isn’t for you I wouldn’t expect you to recommend that to a fellow driver but if it is for you, crack on and see what happens, free too! :smiley: :arrow_right: