Insomnia and anxiety

yourhavingalarf:
Anyone who…

Drinks, what is alleged to be coffee from those rip off, germ distributing objects known as ‘coffee machines’ deserves all the insomnia and anxiety they get.

If yer daft enough to pay upwards of 3 quid a cup for boiled up battery acid topped with high fat lactose bubbles, then you have earned your sleepless bed-wetting nights.

Vending machines in work environments are akin to drug dealers outside school gates.

50% of the coffee I make is with milk in my microwave, the other 50% is free from a well known outlet, which I ain’t going to reveal, nor say how I get it free.
The only time I use Costa’s …quote; ‘‘rip off germ distribution objects known as coffee machines’’ :unamused: :laughing: is on a free coffee day, …so I ain’t as ‘‘daft’’ as you think maybe eh? :sunglasses: :smiley:

Only ‘daftness’ I can see is comparing ■■■■ s selling drugs to my kids. :open_mouth: :unamused:

robroy:

yourhavingalarf:
Anyone who…

Drinks, what is alleged to be coffee from those rip off, germ distributing objects known as ‘coffee machines’ deserves all the insomnia and anxiety they get.

If yer daft enough to pay upwards of 3 quid a cup for boiled up battery acid topped with high fat lactose bubbles, then you have earned your sleepless bed-wetting nights.

Vending machines in work environments are akin to drug dealers outside school gates.

50% of the coffee I make is with milk in my microwave, the other 50% is free from a well known outlet, which I ain’t going to reveal, nor say how I get it free.
The only time I use Costa’s …quote; ‘‘rip off germ distribution objects known as coffee machines’’ :unamused: :laughing: is on a free coffee day, …so I ain’t as ‘‘daft’’ as you think maybe eh? :sunglasses: :smiley:

Only ‘daftness’ I can see is comparing [zb] s selling drugs to my kids. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Try barley coffee, and get off the caffeine treadmill. Lovely with milk…add a bit of malt for sweetness.

Ok, I’ll try anything once. :smiley:

Can you make it with milk instead of water?
Not even keen on real coffee made with water tbh. :neutral_face:

robroy:

Perhaps if truth be told you don’t actually like coffee…

I only have it with milk. I don’t think a big mug of real coffee is good for anyone.
Italians have it right. A short sharp hit and done.

Roymondo:

robroy:

Ok… :neutral_face:
I had a ground coffee percolator in various trucks for years, but it started to give me heartburn, so it’s in the loft somewhere.

I will drink normal instant with water, but only stuff like Dowe Egberts,.Azota or even Nescafe but I can take it or leave it, never the supermarket brands as they have a cheap chicory taste about them.

Not overly keen on Espresso or Americano version type coffee, although I will drink it, but I love the Connopanna version with double whipped cream…(only had that in Holland of all places for some reason. :neutral_face: )

I’ve had Turkish and similar stuff in Cyprus, but not the Turkish side of the Island, an acquired taste shall we say.

I do however love milky coffee, cafe au lait in France which always tastes different than in other countries I always think…(yeh I know :unamused: ) and the odd cappuccino, I once had a German brand that had a mild liquorice taste, but never saw it again.

Like a chocolate mocha now and again on a Sunday afternoon in a coffee shop, with a granola bar, had the Affogatto in Italy which is poured on to ice cream (never seen it anywhere else) that was delicious.

But my favourite is the plain old full milk latte, I drink far too much of the bloody stuff.
So basically mate, what I’m trying to put across to you is…
You’re wrong. :wink:
In fact I’m a bit of a coffee snob truth be known. :blush:

From a novel, but cant remember which one, a waitress asks an unhappy customer: "If ya want milk and sugar, whyd ya ask for coffee"?

njl:

drover:

Tarmaceater:
If you have suffered from lack of sleep, I have tried Dormeasan Valerian oral drops and found it to work very well to help with insomnia and feeling anxious, it doesn’t affect your driving with no side affects to worry about, the manufacturer is A. Vogel from any pharmacy without prescription .

Didn’t work for me, had to change from nights to afternoons to combat the monthly insomnia I kept getting

That’s interesting, I’ve started finding nights harder so am considering a move to 12-4pm starts and was hoping I would sleep better. Since Jan have been home at 8-9am and my sleep quality has gone downhill.

Don’t hesitate if you get the chance, best move I ever did

robroy:

Roymondo:

robroy:

Ok… :neutral_face:
I had a ground coffee percolator in various trucks for years, but it started to give me heartburn, so it’s in the loft somewhere.

I will drink normal instant with water, but only stuff like Dowe Egberts,.Azota or even Nescafe but I can take it or leave it, never the supermarket brands as they have a cheap chicory taste about them.

Not overly keen on Espresso or Americano version type coffee, although I will drink it, but I love the Connopanna version with double whipped cream…(only had that in Holland of all places for some reason. :neutral_face: )

I’ve had Turkish and similar stuff in Cyprus, but not the Turkish side of the Island, an acquired taste shall we say.

I do however love milky coffee, cafe au lait in France which always tastes different than in other countries I always think…(yeh I know :unamused: ) and the odd cappuccino, I once had a German brand that had a mild liquorice taste, but never saw it again.

Like a chocolate mocha now and again on a Sunday afternoon in a coffee shop, with a granola bar, had the Affogatto in Italy which is poured on to ice cream (never seen it anywhere else) that was delicious.

But my favourite is the plain old full milk latte, I drink far too much of the bloody stuff.
So basically mate, what I’m trying to put across to you is…
You’re wrong. :wink:
In fact I’m a bit of a coffee snob truth be known. :blush:

Far from it - I think you’ve pretty much confirmed that what you really like is a hot milk drink flavoured with coffee. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it’s rather akin to someone claiming to like a good scotch but then only drinking the stuff with dry ginger, lemonade or some other abomination thereof. Again, there’s nothing actually wrong with it if that’s your preference. My late Mum loved Affogato (one T - means “drowned”) - It is widely available in any number of restaurants, pubs etc in this country. I’ve even served it myself for a special family meal (just don’t let onto them how absolutely simple it is to make - I only made it because it takes no effort at all!)

It’s all down to personal taste …some like sugar in tea, some like abominations in their scotch,… some like lots of milk in their coffee.
That’s what makes us all different and think our way is right and others are wrong…as illustrated in our conversation. :bulb:

Well I did specifically state “Nothing wrong with that at all”… :wink:

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

robroy:
Only ‘daftness’ I can see is comparing [zb] s selling drugs to my kids. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Yeh…

You’re right, it wasn’t the best analogy I could have come up with.

What I’m trying to say is, vending machines are placed where they are to make a profit for the vendor and the firm they’re placed at. The sole design criteria is to make money by distributing sugar, salt and fat at inflated prices to drivers who have little or no other choice.

In an ideal world, we’d all have access to a clean well run canteen that served fresh tea, coffee, beverages and light snacks.

My concern with this sort of external help is that I may become dependent on it for good. I always try to find the undelying issue and address that instead. Unfortunately sometimes it’s not easily solved like in my case I work nights which i hate so sleeping during the day is hard/not as recharging as sleeping during the nights like human beings have evolved to…I might eventually have to try some of these out if my body doesn’t readjust soon. Right now I simply can’t sleep for more than 4-5, on rare occasions 6 hours/day

njl:

drover:

Tarmaceater:
If you have suffered from lack of sleep, I have tried Dormeasan Valerian oral drops and found it to work very well to help with insomnia and feeling anxious, it doesn’t affect your driving with no side affects to worry about, the manufacturer is A. Vogel from any pharmacy without prescription .

Didn’t work for me, had to change from nights to afternoons to combat the monthly insomnia I kept getting

That’s interesting, I’ve started finding nights harder so am considering a move to 12-4pm starts and was hoping I would sleep better. Since Jan have been home at 8-9am and my sleep quality has gone downhill.

I used to work nights, 6pm start finishing around 3-4-5am depending on the run. Id go to bed as soon as I got in, and Id always be awake by about 10-10.30am with quite disjointed sleep waking up multiple times in the night. Id say I averaged about 5 hours decent sleep.

Ive changed now to 11.30am start, and im done by 10.30pm every night. I chill for an hour when I get home so Im in bed by 11.30pm and I usually get up at 07.30-8am and sleep through most nights so Im now getting about 6-7 hours good sleep a night.

I can feel a massive change in how I feel when I wake up now, I used to get a fuzzy head a lot and be very irritable but now I wake up in a much better mood. Those few extra hours of sleep every night make a massive difference and I can see why long term night workers tend to die earlier!

Swordsy:
I can feel a massive change in how I feel when I wake up now, I used to get a fuzzy head a lot and be very irritable but now I wake up in a much better mood. Those few extra hours of sleep every night make a massive difference and I can see why long term night workers
TEND TO DIE EARLIER !

Insomnia and anxiety = Stress .
Insomnia perpetuates more anxiety, creating even more stress.
Stress = strokes and/or heart attacks= death.
So it’s a vicious circle, so the trick is don’t get stressed …get enough sleep. :bulb:
I know I’m stating the bleeding obvious, but many in this job either don’t see it or just ignore it, and make the job into a cluster ■■■■ of a stress and pressure laden endurance test.
I’ve been in this job a ■■■■ long time, and over those years I’ve watched these guys,.starting ridiculous times doing ridiculous hours after minimal sleep, stressing out over delivery times and schedules,.traffic, rushing their arses off to be ‘first in the queue’ and all the rest of it. :unamused:
Also, the last few years these stress levels have virtually doubled due to how the job has been tightened up by firms wanting the last drop of blood from their drivers, and drivers being stupid enough and self detrimental to co.ooerate and comply.

I have watched these guys spend years working like this, then they retire and you can sure as hell bet within one to two years …they are dead.!
Now I ain’t saying they have all died of this type of stress, but the numbers I have personally known and observed are too high to be a coincidence,.and 99% have been ex drivers rather than retired guys I have known in different careers.

So …any job related habitual stress heads on here either take heed or not…it’s up to you.

Me?
Put it this way,.I’ve purposely and consciously gone about my job creating a LONG retirement when it comes. :bulb:…draw your own conclusions.

I don’t think it’s the caffeine that is the problem. The Dutch are renowned for their horizontal attitude, and they drink the best part of a gallon of (strong) coffee a day, often black… :grimacing:

DCPCFML:

Tarmaceater:

A far easier way and it doesn’t cost you anything : http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45466

What happened to you and when are you coming back? :smiley:

Swordsy:

njl:

drover:

Tarmaceater:

I used to work nights, 6pm start finishing around 3-4-5am depending on the run. Id go to bed as soon as I got in, and Id always be awake by about 10-10.30am with quite disjointed sleep waking up multiple times in the night. Id say I averaged about 5 hours decent sleep.

Ive changed now to 11.30am start, and im done by 10.30pm every night. I chill for an hour when I get home so Im in bed by 11.30pm and I usually get up at 07.30-8am and sleep through most nights so Im now getting about 6-7 hours good sleep a night.

I can feel a massive change in how I feel when I wake up now, I used to get a fuzzy head a lot and be very irritable but now I wake up in a much better mood. Those few extra hours of sleep every night make a massive difference and I can see why long term night workers tend to die earlier!

I am almost a year into changing jobs and now do a 4am start. Finish time is variable but I can almost always be home each night and turning in about half 6. Most nights I can get a respectable sleep, It’s annoying on the occasions when I can’t get to sleep soon after going to bed, but prefer the new routine of a quick breakfast and shower before going to work, food for most of the day prepped the previous afternoon, feels better than pottering around at home before going to work then trying to sleep almost as soon as I get home as I used to.

That trick about stopping in a lay by behind a parked trailer and screaming has always been used to wake up a mate who has gone to sleep when he’s supposed to be helping you stay awake on a night shift.They can take a while to calm down though.It may also mean a lost friendship.
I worked nights permanently for over 10 years.My body got used to being 12 hours out of sync and family got used to me.I’ve been retired 8 years and i am still in the habit now.Nobody rings me up before noon and if family want a lift to/from airport/restaurant at 0300 then I’m your man.
I only ever drink strong black tea no sugar and my problem is getting out of bed.
Diff’rent folks.Diff’rent strokes.

That trick about stopping in a lay by behind a parked trailer and screaming has always been used to wake up a mate who has gone to sleep when he’s supposed to be helping you stay awake on a night shift.They can take a while to calm down though.It may also mean a lost friendship.

I used to do that to lads who behaved like arses when I was double manning!!! That and quietly shunting backwards while they watered the nearside wheel… :grimacing: