Innocent Brit Trucker held in France

Hi, all you truckers out there, I’m in need of help.
To keep a long story short, my brother (Paul Watson) who had his own haulage business (Principal Logistics) in Leeds was arrested in France on the 25th Sept 2003 after a large amount of cannabis was found in a trailer which he had picked up in Barcelona and was bringing back to the UK. My brother knew nothing of this as all the paperwork for the load was in order and all the pallets were already sealed when he picked it up.
I’m sure all you guys know that in the transport business a lot of work is done on trust without the driver knowing exactly what their load consists of. This is something that I’m trying to get across to both ours and the french government.
He is now being held in prison in Lille in disgusting conditions, has not yet been charged and in fact can be held for 2 years without charge and he has had death threats from Iraqui prisoners also being held there. He has had no legal representation since his arrest mainly because the French are dragging their heels. My family and I have been in touch with the British Consulate and the Home office (a complete waste of time - they say there is nothing they can do), we have also got Fair Trials Abroad on the case but there is nothing they can really do until his case goes to trial, although they have been in touch with my brother. We have also been in contact with or sent emails to the BBC, ITV, SKY, local & national newpapers, local radio stations and so on but nobody seems to really want to get involved.

So, I’m trying to get in touch with British truckers or their families who have or have in the past been in this situation or from anybody else who is willing to give me their support. I’m trying to do this not just for my brother but for all the Brit truckers who are being held all over Europe in similar circumstances wether they are innocent or not and whom it seems to me are being completely ignored by the British government who are basically trying to sweep them under the carpet.

Anyway guys, I want to try and get some sort of national campaign going where we can make not only the government but also the public aware of what is going on so if you can give me your support that would be great.

Contact me either by posting a reply here or get in touch through my email address,

Steve

Hello Steve and welcome to TruckNet.

Could I suggest that you visit the “Blue Ribbon” forum, which you will find by scrolling down through the main Roundtable board?

Paul`s situation is already known to us, and there is a journalist from Commercial Motor seeking a contact for a member of his family.

You will find her message in the thread entitled “Paul Watson”.

I wish you all the best in your efforts.

Vince

sounds very much like john vaseys case going by what you have posted yet again looks like the french are at it
not sure as what ordinary driver can do appart for sending large amounts of emails to mps or meps

Good luck with your campaign Steve. The British Governments advice of ensure you check what is going on you truck, shows how little grasp of haulage they have. The same goes for most memebers of the public which is why you haven’t had much luck with the media.

muckles:
The British Governments advice of ensure you check what is going on you truck, shows how little grasp of haulage they have. The same goes for most memebers of the public which is why you haven’t had much luck with the media.

Totally agree Muckles, would they suggest that a driver opens every box and package on a trailer? also they really dont seem to give a ■■■■ either!
Its a sad catalogue right now of blokes being held that may well have even been thrown to the lions to ensure the big cargo’s of drugs get through anyway.

Mal.

Mal:
Totally agree Muckles, would they suggest that a driver opens every box and package on a trailer? also they really dont seem to give a ■■■■ either!

You`re absolutely right Mal.

The logic they seem to use is this.

1. We have found some drugs.

2. We have put someone in prison.

3. Therefore we have achieved a successful resolution to the case.

Well, I don`t think so myself. I use the same analogy, and have repeated it again and again, and will continue to do so. Here we go.

“Imprisoning a lorry driver for the drugs he unknowingly carries in his trailer is like imprisoning the postman for the letter-bomb he unknowigly carries in his mailbag”

Vince

Just sorting your quote out!L. :wink:

it is a sad sad state of affairs that our guys get treat lke this abroad. it seems to be mainly french related… my sympathy,s lie with the family,s that are affected by this treatment. and although there isnt a lot we as individuals can do it highlights the pitfalls of doing our daily toil. it is certainly making me think twice about wanting to get into euro work i can tell you… it seems every other week or so some one is being incarcerated by the frogs.it does kind of make a mockery of this euro/partnership bull doesnt it though…once again we are let down by our government… not one of them are worth a ZB.anyone in contact with the lads in goal, all you can say is keep ya chin up, our thoughts are with you…terry

The only way I think we can raise the profile of such cases might be to have posters on the back of trucks with the Drivers face and slogan Imprisoned in France without trial. Then a relevent web address.

muckles:
The only way I think we can raise the profile of such cases might be to have posters on the back of trucks with the Drivers face and slogan Imprisoned in France without trial. Then a relevent web address.

What an excellent idea.

Vince

casecrusader’

Check your E-mails

muckles:

I have a poster, with photo, of John Vasey (A3) on the back of my van with A5 size handouts and it causes a lot of interest from all quarters where ever I go.

But this is not only about John, there are about 30 other Brit drivers in Perpignan with John and there are more than 40 prisons in France apart from the rest of Europe.

If ALL drivers contacted ALL the Truck magazines and organisations such as RHA, FTA etc then they MIGHT organise themselves to pressure the government.

Casecrusader,

Sorry to hear about your brother. I live in St Omer, just 60kms from Lille, if I can help in any practical way please let me know.

Regards,

Craig

If your that close Craig111, maybe an occaisional visit or note if possible :question: I know it would be a boost for my spirits, if I was in that position.
I’ve got no idea what visiting rights are like for French prisoners, or any of the other rules. Only an idea :bulb: .

Craig 111:
Casecrusader,

Sorry to hear about your brother. I live in St Omer, just 60kms from Lille, if I can help in any practical way please let me know.

Regards,

Craig

Craig 111,

Paul will have to give his permission for an old family friend to visit him then you have to apply to the Juge de Instruction for a visitors permit, you will need
2 passport photographs (signed)
Birth Certificate (Copy)
Copy of Passport
Proof of Residence

And a statement that you are an old family friend

You may then be issued with a temporary visitors permit after which you can apply for another one

I do not know Paul or his family but grateful thanks to you for your generous offer of help

Ken Vasey

Anyone can write to him once they have his prison number and the address of the prison.
Magazines and newspapers can only be sent by subsciption and are always welcome and are well read by all prisoners.

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies to my message, it’s nice to know that we are not alone in all this. Thanks for all your advice and suggestions, it’s all been taken onboard. Paul is actually getting visits from his girlfriend at the moment and the rest of the family have applied for permits to visit him. If anybody would like to write to paul, his address is:

Mr Paul Anthony Watson
Ecrou 6667
Maison D’Arret D’Arras
12 Rue Des Carabiniers D’Artois
BP 915
62022 Arras Cedex
France.

I’m sure any correspondence would be appreciated by paul and would help boost his spirits.

Once again, a big thankyou,
Steve

Steve,

I am very distressed to hear of yet another driver imprisoned in dubious circumstances in France. I have worked, and now live, here and the fact that I have been welcomed with open arms into this society makes it all the harder to bear and I cannot understand this judicial attitude. I feel ashamed for my adopted fellow countrymen.

I now live in retirement in SW France, too far away from Arras to be of much practical help, but I am sure that Craig will do anything he can from St. Omer.

I will write to Paul but also to the “French News” which is an English language newspaper published near to me. It does have national coverage and is widely read by the English speaking community and others. I don’t think it will have much effect but what else can we do?

Salut, David.

Mal:

muckles:
The British Governments advice of ensure you check what is going on you truck, shows how little grasp of haulage they have. The same goes for most memebers of the public which is why you haven’t had much luck with the media.

Its a sad catalogue right now of blokes being held that may well have even been thrown to the lions to ensure the big cargo’s of drugs get through anyway.

Mal.

Maybe you have the answer there Mal, if ever any of us have a load from a Govt dept or British Embassy or Consulate abroad we should suggest that they first open ALL the containers boxes etc as we don’t know if there are any illegal items inside…If they refuse we could ask them to first provide a letter of responsability for all contents of the load and then explain how it is their superiors can wash their hands of their responsability to those drivers incarserated abroad who could not check fully what was loaded onto their vehicle, but as always the buck stops with the driver, well short of where it should do.