Injured, advice please

Hi folks.
A couple of nights ago, whilst at work, I somehow managed to trip over one of those big kerbs at Toddington services. This resulted in me fracturing my shoulder. The company I work for only pay SSP. This won’t even cover my rent never mind anything else. Just what the heck am l supposed to do? Hospital recommends I don’t drive for 6-8 weeks!

It’s a bit stressful.

Private landlord or council/housing association ?
Either talk to them now and explain you situation and that you’ll pay back arrears when you’re back earning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you not have a word with your company and see if you could do anything else while your off the road? Like get CPC hours done, other training like ADR, first aid, fire marshal etc (or something more job specific). Maybe you could go in the office for a few weeks, show those guys how to properly plan routes! Might not be as much money as driving, but better than SSP

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This post should be a warning to anyone who hasn’t got income protection insurance! £30 a month for peace of mind for me. Hope you get better soon mate, but to be honest, there’s little you can do. 9/10 drivers in the industry only get ssp, we just don’t get the pay and conditions that the rest of the world enjoy

OVLOV JAY:
This post should be a warning to anyone who hasn’t got income protection insurance! £30 a month for peace of mind for me. Hope you get better soon mate, but to be honest, there’s little you can do. 9/10 drivers in the industry only get ssp, we just don’t get the pay and conditions that the rest of the world enjoy

Thing is though Jay at what point do you stop getting insurance for this that and the other, …insurance, extended warranties and all the rest of it.
It soon builds up into a big chunk of your income if you’re paying 10/20/30 or more quid for half a dozen different insurances, on top of the compulsory ones for cars etc…where does it stop.

Maybe an alternative idea would be to save it, based on the gamble that every eventuality that you insure against aint gonna happen at the same time, so you still have the cash at hand if summet goes ■■■■ up.
Just my take on it.

blue estate:
Private landlord or council/housing association ?
Either talk to them now and explain you situation and that you’ll pay back arrears when you’re back earning

+1
I’m sure you will have some element of Tenant’s rights,.
And/or try the Social, they chuck money at those lazy basts who never work, so let them help a genuine case for a change.

robroy:

OVLOV JAY:

Thing is though Jay at what point do you stop getting insurance for this that and the other, …insurance, extended warranties and all the rest of it.
It soon builds up into a big chunk of your income if you’re paying 10/20/30 or more quid for half a dozen different insurances, on top of the compulsory ones for cars etc…where does it stop.

Maybe an alternative idea would be to save it, based on the gamble that every eventuality that you insure against aint gonna happen at the same time, so you still have the cash at hand if summet goes ■■■■ up.
Just my take on it.

How do you save it though? And how much is the target? I pay £30 a month for £1800 a month of cover, payable for 2 years. You can get the same cover for a year for £20. To me it’s cheaper than saving

OVLOV JAY:

robroy:

OVLOV JAY:

Just my take on it.

How do you save it though? And how much is the target? I pay £30 a month for £1800 a month of cover, payable for 2 years. You can get the same cover for a year for £20. To me it’s cheaper than saving

Hmmm…, ok, maybe it’s just me being an eternal optimist thinking ‘things’ aint gonna happen. :smiley:

I had similar conversation with my Mam who had insurance and extended warranties and the like for every bloody thing you can think of, from washing machine, tv, to suite to gas repairs to …well everything.
It was costing her a small fortune and she had zero claims for last 10 to 15 yrs, what she had spent would have made a nice little nest egg.
Chance you take I suppose.

This gives a few vauge things you might be able to claim, but in essence it comes down to universal credit these days.

Best off making an appointment with citizens advice as they have people who know the system inside out and it’ll be nice for them to see a proper claimant rather than the usual scammer.

citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ … work-sick/

They’ll also know your rights about being a tenant and things like utilities. Water for example have hardship funds quite often that will pay the next bill and I suspect electric do too.

I would cancel any near time direct debits except car insurance, and then vet in touch with citizwns advice, that way you’ve still got money for food etc.

As for income protection - seems to have more clauses than PPI did unless you pay stupid fees, and apparently HGV driver is top category so all I found were stupid fees (£100 a month +) with limited payout.

OP, as uggested before the best option would be to at least cut down your time on SSP with light duties or training.

I carried 2 income protections all my working life. One is now cancelled, the other if it’s never used will return a proportion back to me at 60 . I dont carry pet insurance or extended warranties, everyone has to make their own mind up as to what is suitable for them.

robroy:

OVLOV JAY:

robroy:

OVLOV JAY:

Just my take on it.

Hmmm…, ok, maybe it’s just me being an eternal optimist thinking ‘things’ aint gonna happen. :smiley:

I had similar conversation with my Mam who had insurance and extended warranties and the like for every bloody thing you can think of, from washing machine, tv, to suite to gas repairs to …well everything.
It was costing her a small fortune and she had zero claims for last 10 to 15 yrs, what she had spent would have made a nice little nest egg.
Chance you take I suppose.

As a rule I don’t bother with warranty or insurance for anything I can buy with less than a weeks wages. The only thing I do pay for is mine and my boys iPhones. Worth it as I’ve had 3 claims in as many years

Man up. Drive with one arm in your auto lorry. Get them to give you a second man.

I wouldn’t normally suggest going down this route but as it happened at a robbing MSA I say “F… 'em”, so how about looking to claim from them? You say it was night, was there adequate lighting? Was the pedestrian route clearly marked? We’re there any signs warning you not to walk that way?

OVLOV JAY:

Sorry but as someone that is relatively new to this industry I have worked in quite a few others over the years, we get exactly the same rate of pay and conditions as most other general workers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ask for loan off company & pay it back £10/&20 per day , I did it donkeys years ago & company we’re only too happy to oblige

Ask for loan off company & pay it back £10/&20 per day , I did it donkeys years ago & company we’re only too happy to oblige

relax. tell your landlord the score ,if he starts getting shirty ,just tell him “relax …youll get your money… EVENTUALLY” . 6 to 8 weeks will soon pass and its funny this sort of event can often have an unexpected good ending. youve got time to take stock while you are out of action, take up a new hobby or plan a holiday away and commit yourself to it -+ have a reet good clearout at home old food and old paint tins/ bits of cars you kept never will use in the shed , lob it all in a wheelie bin and bung tat on top of it to hide it

There’s, always plan B.

You tripped over a kerb, that was un-warned, no signage, I smell, a no win no fee claim.

If you only get SSP then you can claim council tax benefit and housing benefit even in private rented accommodation. You might not get the full cost but should get most of it.

That would be your first immediate course of action but it will take some time as always.

I had 3 months on sick after breaking my ankle. I got lost of my rent and all of my council tax paid.

Yes SSP is crap but thats life if you don’t have savings or insurance protection or don’t work for a company that pays sick pay.

I listen to short clips from a guy called Dave Ramey on you tube…solid advice, wish hwas around years ago anyhow, his advice to some one similar was make payments in this order, rent, food any other bills, i.e make them wait if necessary.
Hopefully you will find the true colours of your company and they will assist in someway, id absolutely pursue the chance of a claim, you might get some loss of earnings back at least.

Going forward, my advice is follow ramseys 7 steps, or at least the first three , watch some clips on his car advice i.e no car on payments, when to get of a clunker etc and save an emergency fund/ order to reduce debt. His take on warranties was very enlightening i.e they are not worth it,

Hope that helps and good luck