infringements

hi all,just lately i seem to be getting flagged up with insufficient break from driving,it seems to be that sometimes when i turn up for work ill be waiting for a unit sometimes upto 3hrs,so when i get to my unit i will maually record a 20min break on the old digi jobbo before i actually move and will complete the 30min later but always well within the 4.30hr driving limit.I do this to get away from the 6hr wtd,am i doing something wrong!.

Yes. :wink:

Breaks interrupt periods of driving therefore you cannot take a break, that counts toward the required 45 minutes, before you have done any driving. You are getting the infringements due to exceeding 4.5 hours driving because you are only taking 30 minutes of break not the 50 minutes you think you are having.

What are you recording the 3 hours as, if you are doing no work and just waiting it should be POA or Break, and it seems you are only recording 20 minutes as break, and neither of those count as work toward the WTD 6 hours thing.

I might be completely wrong on this, but I don’t think you can complete a ‘tacho’ break until you have actually driven somewhere. Sitting waiting for a unit is not technically a break from driving, as you haven’t turned a wheel yet.

The rules say you need to have a 45-minute break after no more than 4.5 hours of driving, not while sitting on your backside waiting for a set of keys. :smiley:

I suspect someone (probably Coffeeholic) might well tear my theory apart however … :stuck_out_tongue:

Doh! :blush:

FH16Globetrotter:
I suspect someone (probably Coffeeholic) might well tear my theory apart however … :stuck_out_tongue:

No, I’m agreeing with you, you are spot on with the reason. In fact I’m that good I agreed with you before you even said anything. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:

whoops :confused: yet when i show the supervisors that i have infact taken sufficient break as stated on printout they agree with me,for example
1- i start at 0600
2-i get in cab at 0800
3-i manually record 0600-0740 x
4-then 0740-0800 rest
5-then at some point before the 4.30 i take 30min
if this is wrong i best be changin my ways :unamused:

ps i try not to use poa as this comes off my weekly hours

Coffeeholic:

FH16Globetrotter:

No, I’m agreeing with you, you are spot on with the reason. In fact I’m that good I agreed with you before you even said anything. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:

:smiley:

:blush:

quork:
whoops :confused: yet when i show the supervisors that i have infact taken sufficient break as stated on printout they agree with me,for example
1- i start at 0600
2-i get in cab at 0800
3-i manually record 0600-0740 x
4-then 0740-0800 rest This break cannot be counted toward the required 45 minutes driving break as you haven’t done any driving yet.
5-then at some point before the 4.30 i take 30min
if this is wrong i best be changin my ways :unamused:

It is wrong if you are doing more than 4.5 hours driving in the shift with just that 30 minute break.

Your supervisors are trumpets and shouldn’t be supervising anything as they are clearly in need of some training. :wink:

quork:
ps i try not to use poa as this comes off my weekly hours

You’ve confused me now.

Recording the time from 06:00 to 07:40 as other work if you are doing nothing but waiting for the unit is eating into your 48 hour average/60 hour maximum weekly WTD allowances as that 1 hour 40 minutes will count toward both those totals. Recording it as POA or break would not.

Unless you mean you don’t get paid for POA and/or break for some reason in which case recording it as other work makes sense.

that clears that up then :smiley: ,we are on salary so poa is bad,to much poa means less hours and longer runs the following week :wink: cheers mate.

If you could get brief access to another truck before you actually get yours you could do 1 minute of driving during your wait and then do as you have been doing and you wouldn’t get the infringements you are getting now. Not in the spirit of the regulations but it would be legal.

Out of curiosity why do you book 20 minutes for the WTD instead of 15 minutes which would suffice for the 6 hour rule.

we are told to take 5 extra on a 15 or a 30 because for some reason they think that if you take the minimum it might not register correctly on microlise.

quork:
we are told to take 5 extra on a 15 or a 30 because for some reason they think that if you take the minimum it might not register correctly on microlise.

So Microlise can’t be trusted to get it right then, you have to wonder why any company would pay to use an analysis system they don’t trust with something so simple :wink:

There seems to be a common misunderstanding about digital tachographs, if you time the 15 or 30 minutes by calculating from the start and finish times displayed on the tachograph display clock you may get robbed of a couple of minutes, but if you check to see if the tachograph display is actually showing 15 or 30 minutes break then it will record a full 15 or 30 minutes break on the driver card and the tachograph head.

Still if it gets you an extra 5 minutes per break why complain … as long as you don’t want to get home 10 minutes earlier :wink:

quork:
that clears that up then :smiley: ,we are on salary so poa is bad,to much poa means less hours and longer runs the following week :wink: cheers mate.

Your gaffer is having his cake and eating it and you’re letting him! TRUMPET!