infringement question

sorry for the possibly silly question. I was given an infringement notice to sign this morning. I went over 10 hours driving by 17 minutes. The scary thing is I wasn’t aware I had ever done anything like 10 hours driving.

The question is how have I managed to get an infringement for going over driving time when I haven’t got an infringement for insufficient breaks.

coop

Dead easy; scenario… drive for 4 hours, take 45 minute break, drive for a further 4 hours, take another 45 minute break. 8 hours driving completed but you can drive for a further 4 hours without a break and only fall foul of the 10 hour drive rule, but not the insufficient break rule.

Edit to add; seems crazy I know, but that is the reality.

Assuming you were on a digi tacho, the head unit should have been flashing like billio.
If a tacho disc you need to read it with an old fashioned disc reader and prove the overdrive to yourself.

This is one to make a point of not doing, DVSA will not look kindly on it if they have reason to go through your records.

Did you screw up a manual entry either at the start of the shift or the next day?

sorry should of explained it more thoroughly. I only ever take 2 half hour breaks. one after about 1.5 - 2 hours driving and one before the first 4.5 hours is up

cooper1203:
sorry should of explained it more thoroughly. I only ever take 2 half hour breaks. one after about 1.5 - 2 hours driving and one before the first 4.5 hours is up

You should have 2 problems then: exceeding 4.5hr, plus exceeding 10?

oh here we go again, can see why some of our older generation drivers find it so laughable that so many now get the idea that you’re going to do a spell inside for going over by a small margin. Do a printout, write an explanation, job done. As long as its only 17 mins and you’re not exceeding drive time on a regular basis it’ll be fine. My last one was coming down M42, pulled into Tamworth, lorry park was full. Went back out, parked at Hopwood at 10hr 16m. Did printout, wrote on back the reason for exceeding 10hr. If they really wanted to check cctv they would see me going into Tamworth which would back my statement up. I’ve not been driving years and years and even I can see the clear difference between the odd infringement and taking the ■■■■. Not saying by any means dvsa don’t give a toss about infringements, just no need to lose sleep because you’ve run over a bit which is a one off.