Infringement letter

hi all,

I have had an Infringement letter for insufficient rest. As i understood it i could have 2 weeks of reduced as long as i have a full weekly rest before and after the two weeks.

But have just recieved an infringement for it.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Lee

leegti6:
hi all,

I have had an Infringement letter for insufficient rest. As i understood it i could have 2 weeks of reduced as long as i have a full weekly rest before and after the two weeks.

But have just recieved an infringement for it.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Lee

I assume you’re talking about weekly rest periods.

I’ve no idea where you’ve got that information from but it’s completely wrong.

For weekly rest periods:
In any two weeks you should have either 2 regular weekly rest periods or at-least one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period.

In other words you should have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at least every second week.

yes sorry, I am talking about weekly rest.

Found the information on another website, am i ok to copy the link where i found the infromation?

leegti6:

Found the information on another website, am i ok to copy the link where i found the infromation?

Yes that’s fine as long as it’s not another drivers forum.

edit: If you’re not sure about posting a link to the site feel free to PM me the link :wink:

tachograph:

leegti6:

Yes that’s fine as long as it’s not another drivers forum.

edit: If you’re not sure about posting a link to the site feel free to PM me the link :wink:

Hopefully i managed to send you a pm?

Lee

The confusion often arises because people don’t realise that when the regulations say any two week period it’s not just weeks 1+2 and weeks 3+4 that are tow week periods. Weeks 2+3 is also a two week period. So, you cannot do a reduced and a regular in weeks 1 and 2 and think you are clear to do the same in weeks 3 and 4 if it means that weeks 2 and 3 only have reduced, which appears to be the situation you have encountered.

Coffeeholic:
The confusion often arises because people don’t realise that when the regulations say any two week period it’s not just weeks 1+2 and weeks 3+4 that are tow week periods. Weeks 2+3 is also a two week period. So, you cannot do a reduced and a regular in weeks 1 and 2 and think you are clear to do the same in weeks 3 and 4 if it means that weeks 2 and 3 only have reduced, which appears to be the situation you have encountered.

The confusion in this case is because of the diagram on TransportFriends website which to be fair is a little misleading in my opinion, unfortunately there’s no real explanation that the regular weekly rest periods count for weeks 1 and 3, I imagine people see 2 consecutive reduced weekly rest periods and assume that it’s always OK to have reduced weekly rest periods on two consecutive weekends.

if I remember correctly there’s a similar diagram in GV262 which has on occasions caused the same confusion.

TransportFriendWeeklyRests.PNG

Have also got a copy of Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs, which it is in there but i’m guessing then it has been changed since this was printed?

Revised 2009 GV262-02

Lee

leegti6:
Have also got a copy of Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs, which it is in there but i’m guessing then it has been changed since this was printed?

Revised 2009 GV262-02

Lee

No reason to change it. The example from the site and from GV262 is legal because both the reduced rest periods are in the same week so one of them is there for no other reason than to prevent the driver exceeding 144 hours between weekly rest periods.

In the diagram the two consecutive weeks 1+2 have a regular and a reduced rest period while the other two consecutive weeks 2+3 have a reduced and a regular.

Your situation, from the info given, was over 4 weeks and while weeks 1+2 and weeks 3+4 met the minimum requirement of a regular and a reduced weeks 2+3 did not as they only had reduced rest periods.

week one i worked Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and was off Saturday and sunday plus the wendesday finishing on friday at 18.07

Week two
starting monday 06.45 and working tuesday, thursday, friday and finsihing saturday 16.30 off sunday

week three

starting monday at 06.45 and working tuesday, thursday, friday and saturday off sunday with this week being when i got the infringement for.

week four

working monday, tuesday, wednesday and finishing thursday at 16.20 and off friday and saturday and in at 07.30 on sunday.

so my understanding is week one being ok and week two and three having the reduced i would be ok as long as i have my weekly rest no later than when i did.

Hope you can make sense of it.

Many Thanks

Lee

leegti6:
week one i worked Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and was off Saturday and sunday plus the wendesday finishing on friday at 18.07

Week two
starting monday 06.45 and working tuesday, thursday, friday and finsihing saturday 16.30 off sunday

week three

starting monday at 06.45 and working tuesday, thursday, friday and saturday off sunday with this week being when i got the infringement for.

week four

working monday, tuesday, wednesday and finishing thursday at 16.20 and off friday and saturday and in at 07.30 on sunday.

so my understanding is week one being ok and week two and three having the reduced i would be ok as long as i have my weekly rest no later than when i did.

Hope you can make sense of it.

Many Thanks

Lee

Yeah, makes sense Lee but there is no regular weekly rest for week 2 or 3 and at least one of those two weeks needs a rest of at least 45 hours. it looks like with the Wednesdays off in weeks 2 and 3 you’ve had 2 reduced weekly rests in each week so 4 in a row but it’s the crucial regular rest that’s missing, hence the infringement.

You can never have two consecutive weeks with only reduced rests.

Bit of a mind field grog to get my head round it all.

So I’m probably better off sticking with weekly rest, reduced rest followed by weekly rest again?

Lee

leegti6:

So I’m probably better off sticking with weekly rest, reduced rest followed by weekly rest again?

Lee

Having a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second week is the easiest way, and will keep you legal as long as you can pay back the compensation.

leegti6:

Lee

Probably, it means you won’t get any letters. But all you have to do is look at any two week period and make sure you have at least one full rest. Compensation for the reduced rests doesn’t look like it will be a problem if what you posted is a sort of regular pattern for you, those midweek days off should take care of those.

Thank you to everyone that replied, Think i’m slowly getting it.

Shall stick with my regular weekly rest for know untill i fully understand.

Many Thanks

lee