Information on Spainish and French driver CPC

One of the other truckies on the circuit ask the question about his drivers CPC as he believes he cannot drive after september 10 without it. However he’s French with a French HGV licence but works for a Spainish company and he also lives in Spain. He co-driver who is also French as the French qualification for doing haulage (FCOS? he said it was a 3 day course), so can continue to drive.
SO my question on his behalf is:
What does he need to do to be able to continue to drive?
Can he still drive after Sept 10 without taking the CPC until 2014?
What country does he need to take the CPC in or are all the courses the same anyway so it doesn’t matter?

Hope this make sense as we had all had a few beers when he was explaining it to me. :laughing:

If he is using a French driving licence and has FIMO and FCOS he is covered

kerbut:

And if he hasn’t got them he couldn’t be driving a French truck for hire and reward but Muckles game is different.

I think a Spanish truck with a French driver on a race transporter will be exempt anyway.

I will watch this thread with some interest

i’ve been confused about this for sooooooo long.
i drive a spanish truck with spanish licence but have held my uk licence long enough to qualify on so called grand father rights but i still don’t understand if that means i get a cpc card now or just in five years time i have to have done my 35 hours training?
is there a card or certificate or is it just assumed you have it after having held your licence for long enough?
the training in spain is expensive i am reliably informed by vascoingles :imp:

welshboyinspain:
i drive a spanish truck with spanish licence but have held my uk licence long enough to qualify on so called grand father rights but i still don’t understand if that means i get a cpc card now or just in five years time i have to have done my 35 hours training?

As an EU LGV driver you have until 10 Sept 2014 in which to get in 35 hours of ‘training’.

Before that date you do not need a DQC (driver cpc card) as the date on your licence will show that you have aquired (grandfather) rights - in the UK there is no need for a driver to carry their licence as the authorities can check with DVLA database for any info they need - I don’t know about other EU countries.

I don’t know if you can take the 35 hours in any EU country or only the one that you have on your licence - I will try to research that…

thanks rog you are a gent :smiley:
so as long as i can prove how long i have had my licence i’m covered until 2014 :exclamation:

welshboyinspain:
so as long as i can prove how long i have had my licence i’m covered until 2014 :exclamation:

YES, but I don’t know how they do that outside the UK.

If there is a law in your country of residence that requires you to carry your LGV licence at all times then that should not be a problem.

just called the Driver cpc hot line 0191 201 8112

The 35 hours of periodic training MUST be taken in the country of residence.
Training done out side this will NOT count.

If using an EU licence from one country but resident in another EU country then the licence will need to be exchanged to that of the country you are resident in for the training to be logged for that licence.

I bet that last bit of info will cause probs for some !!

ROG:
just called the Driver cpc hot line 0191 201 8112

The 35 hours of periodic training MUST be taken in the country of residence.
Training done out side this will NOT count.

If using an EU licence from one country but resident in another EU country then the licence will need to be exchanged to that of the country you are resident in for the training to be logged for that licence.

I bet that last bit of info will cause probs for some !!

Hi ROG, I hope you have your GB sticker in place now that you’re posting in here… :laughing: :grimacing:

It’s very interesting to read your post, because the rule you mentioned seems to fly in the face of another EU rule on the free movement of labour. How are the people who migrated supposed to get trained in their new host-country when they don’t all have the necessary language skills? :confused:

The folks might be able to ‘get by’ with fairly easy day-to-day stuff like asking their way, ordering food and writing addresses of backloads, but the language skills needed to undertake some formal training might be beyond many migrant workers, so what are they supposed to do?

dieseldave:
Hi ROG, I hope you have your GB sticker in place now that you’re posting in here…

Yes - I am being a Good Boy :wink: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

kerbut:

And if he hasn’t got them he couldn’t be driving a French truck for hire and reward but Muckles game is different.

I think a Spanish truck with a French driver on a race transporter will be exempt anyway.

I will watch this thread with some interest

This seems to be the case as the other guy who drives with him and is French has the qulification needed as he used to drive for haulage companies in France before getting into Motorsport.

I tend to agree with Dieseldave on the point about free movement of labour, not so much about the lanaguage barrier, but because if you gain the CPC in one country and then move and change you licence to you new host country do you need to retake the CPC or does you present one last for the full 5 years.

However with the FIMO and FCOS the French have been doing this for years, I suppose thier is no barrier to the free movement of labour just you are required to learn French, no bad thing if you plan to work in France.

However so far it seems to continue driving he has to either change his licnece to a Spainish one and take the CPC there over the next 5 years.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

muckles:
I tend to agree with Dieseldave on the point about free movement of labour, not so much about the lanaguage barrier, but because if you gain the CPC in one country and then move and change you licence to you new host country do you need to retake the CPC or does you present one last for the full 5 years.

Hi muckles, This is getting more and more interesting…

As soon as one question is answered, it seems to raise another. :grimacing:

IMHO, it would be much simplified if the licencing authorities in each country would communicate (securely) with each other.
This is already in place for ADR licences, because there is the option for a driver to return to their native country to take an ADR course in their own language without having to go through the hassle of swopping driving licences back and to. Our UK ADR exam authority (SQA) will provide certified evidence that the candidate passed the ADR exams, then a ‘host country’ ADR licence is issued to the driver from the local/national authorities. The new ADR licence then tallies with the driver’s driving licence. :smiley:

muckles:
if you gain the CPC in one country and then move and change you licence to you new host country do you need to retake the CPC or does you present one last for the full 5 years.

I might phone the DSA driver cpc hotline and see if they know…

And they do know-
If you have done the 35 hours in the UK and got the DQC (driver cpc card) and then move to another EU country where you take up residence and change the licence to that country - no problem - you get an exchange DQC with the same expiry date on it.

WARNING
Some EU counties are not recognising aquired rights as there is no evidence (DQC) so you may have problems.

I don’t think there is any need to change his French licence for a Spanish one, if he has FIMO in your line of work I would hazard a guess he would be OK, I have a French licence and a UK licence ( they handed me back my UK licence when I applied at the Hotel de Impots for a French one ) the only difference is with the French one is I don’t have to have a medical at 70 years of age.

kerbut:
I don’t think there is any need to change his French licence for a Spanish one, if he has FIMO in your line of work I would hazard a guess he would be OK, I have a French licence and a UK licence ( they handed me back my UK licence when I applied at the Hotel de Impots for a French one ) the only difference is with the French one is I don’t have to have a medical at 70 years of age.

I think that’s where the problem is is that he doesn’t have the normal qualifications that a French truck driver would have as he’s never driven for a French haulage company, unlike his co driver who gained his licence in the French Army and then woorked in haulage before ending up in motorsport.

I’ve said to him as he lives in Spain and works for a Spainish company the best option might be to change his licence for a Spainish one and then do what is required in Spain for a Drivers CPC. There is no language problem as he speaks Spainish and English. Unlike me who just about knows a few phrases :blush:

It might pay to send a PM to Vascoingles as he is a Transport Manager for a Spanish/Dutch operation,he is very up to speed with Spanish laws.

muckles:
I’ve said to him as he lives in Spain and works for a Spainish company the best option might be to change his licence for a Spainish one and then do what is required in Spain for a Drivers CPC. There is no language problem as he speaks Spainish and English. Unlike me who just about knows a few phrases :blush:

speaking a language and being conversant enough to read and write enough of it to satisfy someone teaching on a course are two completely different things, the only reason that he has not changed his licence to a Spanish one is probably so that the Spanish cannot take points off of him if he does anything wrong. Well now he has to make a decision

Vascoingles:

muckles:

speaking a language and being conversant enough to read and write enough of it to satisfy someone teaching on a course are two completely different things, the only reason that he has not changed his licence to a Spanish one is probably so that the Spanish cannot take points off of him if he does anything wrong. Well now he has to make a decision

I don’t think the language is a problem for him spoken or written, but you’ve hit the nail on the head as to why he never changed his licence over. it’s was to do with avoiding losing points? (is that how it works in Spain)
thanks to the comments on here he knows his options and will probably get a Spainish licence.

So what will the Spainish drivers CPC consist of? I’ve heard it’s going to be expensive to do compared with here in the UK. I’ve looked into it a bit and it seems to be about £90 for a 7 hour training session.

muckles:

Vascoingles:
So what will the Spainish drivers CPC consist of? I’ve heard it’s going to be expensive to do compared with here in the UK. I’ve looked into it a bit and it seems to be about £90 for a 7 hour training session.

the last quote that one of my drivers got in San Sebastian was 1500 euros for the complete 35 hours

:open_mouth: I’m not sure what I should be doing?

I moved to Madrid 2006 and I work for a frozen fish company in Getafe Madrid. (Own Account transport).
I passed my HGV class one 1977, I got my CPC’s national and international in 1985, I’m not sure what I should be doing if anything. I Have a Spanish license and Spanish resident and my employment is legal and above board.

P.S. Vascoingles. do you know what a TC2 document (form)? Every month the secretary gives me a new one, its something to do with the Department of Work and Immigration