Info/tips/advice wanted re: Car Transporters

So I’m considering trying to get into tramping on car transporters in the relatively near future. I’ve read through plenty of existing threads on here and fully appreciate all of the hardships that come with the job and that it’s not for everyone.

I’m really up for the challenge, young, in decent shape and like to think I’ve got my head screwed on. I’m absolutely willing to learn it from scratch and that it can take a very long time to get anywhere near the competence of the more experienced drivers.

I’ll really appreciate any tips, advice or pointers to get me off in the right direction. What are the companies looking for on your c.v and at an interview? Can the pay be as high as come figures ive seen quoted on here? Which companies are more likely to take on someone without any transporter experience?

I’ve seen some vancanies stating that after a successful probation period you will be entered into the bonuses and extras on the earnings. How long would that take typically if you went into it with the right attitude and were really willing to graft and learn?

Any genuine and helpful advice will be greatly appreciated. PM me if you’d rather.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I realise that my title isn’t complete but cant seem to edit it…

talknonsense:

Changed it for you if that’s any better?

Reef:

talknonsense:

Changed it for you if that’s any better?

That’s blinding. Thank you very much!

The first thing to do is join a union, when I was on mobile car parks it was compulsory I think the one to join is Unite, and attend the meetings. I retired 11 years ago so I am a bit out of touch with things now but I would imagine its the same in princible. It was always friends and family first strickly no agencies or non union labour.l had 35 great years on that job working out of the midland car factories.If you do get a start you will be given probably 2 weeks training, and don’t try to keep up with the old hands. Its cold and wet loading up but you usually get top gear to wear. Good luck with search I think you will need it.

WaggerWagger888:
The first thing to do is join a union, when I was on mobile car parks it was compulsory I think the one to join is Unite, and attend the meetings. I retired 11 years ago so I am a bit out of touch with things now but I would imagine its the same in princible. It was always friends and family first strickly no agencies or non union labour.l had 35 great years on that job working out of the midland car factories.If you do get a start you will be given probably 2 weeks training, and don’t try to keep up with the old hands. Its cold and wet loading up but you usually get top gear to wear. Good luck with search I think you will need it.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try my best!

You need some decent vehicle control skills, a modern car transporter doesn’t drive like other lorries, on a typical outfit the prime mover is a low cabbed tractor unit with a body built for 4 vehicles on it, 1 on top 3 at angles behind the cab line, but the trailer hitch is behind the drive axle so its a wag n drag not an artic combination and the trailer is both bigger and heavier than the prime mover being designed to carry 7 and sometimes 8 vehicles and its three axle’s centre line only just past the centre line of the trailer, so depending on load configuration it can be quite a handful on the road, tail wagging the dog syndrome, so you need to have a feel for what’s happening down at the road surface, not a job for someone recently passed their test IMHO.

Anyway, you have the right attitude, you know it isn’t going to be a week’s training and hey presto skilled up here i come £50k salary.
Some take to it like a duck to water, and in 3 months its like they were doing it all of their lives, some take up to 2 years to feel confident, reckon on a year at least before you are up to speed, but its a job you never stop learning no matter how long you do it.
Don’t give up a good job to do it and there are jobs out there that pay just as well without the graft of transporters (never advertised), the drop out rate mere hours days or weeks after starting is horrendous, by the time a year has elapsed only a few new people will still be there, you will make ■■■■ ups and cause some damage, every new bod does it without fail but if you make a habit of it without showing improvement they will get rid of you.

Its a lot more complicated now than when i started, when the vehicles were relatively simple, thank the Lord, that isn’t the case now and you will more than likely be thrown in the deep end learning straight off on an 11 car carrier.
You don’t rely on a pratnav either, they don’t show low trees which is your worst enema, you will have to learn your way around, and whenever you pull up outside a main road dealership you immediately become public enemy number one.

If you like it the job is great, especially in the summer, its a filthy horrible winter job.
Yes the money is there, but you will earn every penny of it.

Those jobs you mention about bonuses after a while are sensible, they pay you a high basic for so many months, its designed so you can learn at your own pace and still earn a wage without having to run before you can walk properly, that sounds like BCA and you could do worse than start there, good training provided.
There are better companies (though there is more than one pay scheme on BCA) but not all will want to know inexperienced drivers.

I’ve been out of it a good few years now like Wagger (and agree with him, the union is proper on that job) so not up top date on the current pay deals etc and i have no idea how the present and looming downturn is going to affect recruitment, again don’t give up a good job to do this just now would be my advice.

It’s a marmite job. You will either love it or hate it but you have obviously thought long and hard about it so the chances are you will be fine after learning. It has its ups and downs like any job, winter days can be tough at times. I did the job many years ago but a lot has changed since.

I have two mates back in the UK who have both been driving transporters for a while now and they both love it. Of course it takes a little learning but anyone with half a brain and plenty of common sense will adapt fairly quickly. One of my mates ain’t exactly the brightest spark and he has managed fine. Main secret is take your time and think then check again. It’s like most things it gets easier with more practice.

Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it if you go ahead.

Juddian:
You need some decent vehicle control skills, a modern car transporter doesn’t drive like other lorries, on a typical outfit the prime mover is a low cabbed tractor unit with a body built for 4 vehicles on it, 1 on top 3 at angles behind the cab line, but the trailer hitch is behind the drive axle so its a wag n drag not an artic combination and the trailer is both bigger and heavier than the prime mover being designed to carry 7 and sometimes 8 vehicles and its three axle’s centre line only just past the centre line of the trailer, so depending on load configuration it can be quite a handful on the road, tail wagging the dog syndrome, so you need to have a feel for what’s happening down at the road surface, not a job for someone recently passed their test IMHO.

Anyway, you have the right attitude, you know it isn’t going to be a week’s training and hey presto skilled up here i come £50k salary.
Some take to it like a duck to water, and in 3 months its like they were doing it all of their lives, some take up to 2 years to feel confident, reckon on a year at least before you are up to speed, but its a job you never stop learning no matter how long you do it.
Don’t give up a good job to do it and there are jobs out there that pay just as well without the graft of transporters (never advertised), the drop out rate mere hours days or weeks after starting is horrendous, by the time a year has elapsed only a few new people will still be there, you will make ■■■■ ups and cause some damage, every new bod does it without fail but if you make a habit of it without showing improvement they will get rid of you.

Its a lot more complicated now than when i started, when the vehicles were relatively simple, thank the Lord, that isn’t the case now and you will more than likely be thrown in the deep end learning straight off on an 11 car carrier.
You don’t rely on a pratnav either, they don’t show low trees which is your worst enema, you will have to learn your way around, and whenever you pull up outside a main road dealership you immediately become public enemy number one.

If you like it the job is great, especially in the summer, its a filthy horrible winter job.
Yes the money is there, but you will earn every penny of it.

Those jobs you mention about bonuses after a while are sensible, they pay you a high basic for so many months, its designed so you can learn at your own pace and still earn a wage without having to run before you can walk properly, that sounds like BCA and you could do worse than start there, good training provided.
There are better companies (though there is more than one pay scheme on BCA) but not all will want to know inexperienced drivers.

I’ve been out of it a good few years now like Wagger (and agree with him, the union is proper on that job) so not up top date on the current pay deals etc and i have no idea how the present and looming downturn is going to affect recruitment, again don’t give up a good job to do this just now would be my advice.

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. You’ve given me plenty to think about. You’ve certainly helped me in my way towards making a decision on whether to persue it further.
If anything else pops into your head at any time, please send me a message. The more I know, the better!

jakethesnake:
It’s a marmite job. You will either love it or hate it but you have obviously thought long and hard about it so the chances are you will be fine after learning. It has its ups and downs like any job, winter days can be tough at times. I did the job many years ago but a lot has changed since.

I have two mates back in the UK who have both been driving transporters for a while now and they both love it. Of course it takes a little learning but anyone with half a brain and plenty of common sense will adapt fairly quickly. One of my mates ain’t exactly the brightest spark and he has managed fine. Main secret is take your time and think then check again. It’s like most things it gets easier with more practice.

Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it if you go ahead.

It’s good to hear that you know people who enjoy doing it. It’s been something that has appealed to me for a very long time. I’ll make my mind up soon as to what to do. That’s been a great help, thanks.

on monday i saw a transporter driver using a height measuring stick checking the top front car presumably just before setting off at a Renault dealer in Colchester . made me wonder what hed have done if it was reading ++ on the high side maybe take a different route ? iv also observed they never have anyone standing nearby chatting/helping saying pointing left a bit etc when it comes to loading or unloading or waving them off i spose thats in the rules

The varying height is a massive factor in that job I would have thought. I was having a look today and noticed that even on some major roads there would be branches that could potentially cause problems. How do you factor that into your route planning? I guess that’s why it doesn’t hurt to pick up the phone and ask another driver for some advice first…

It’s a very rewarding job once you crack it with loading but don’t panic if you get stuck there’s alway another driver willing to help out, you do have to watch your height as it varies with each load plus it’s top heavy almost all the time unless empty, the best part is you load and unload it so no waiting around on bays, as with routes they are planned out for you so no maps needed just follow the instructions and you’ll be fine, any damage cause on route don’t worry about it as you’re on route but if you go off route and say hit a tree with the top deck and smash a window then you could be sacked for it, parking don’t worry I used to park outside dealerships most of the time as services and truck stops can be tricky due to the lengths you run, pay is usually minimum wages with bonus for each car put on or off your wagon so the more you do the more you can make on a good day with about 5 loads on a plus 11 can expect about £200 so can easy do a grand on a 6 day week with a good company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talknonsense:
The varying height is a massive factor in that job I would have thought. I was having a look today and noticed that even on some major roads there would be branches that could potentially cause problems. How do you factor that into your route planning? I guess that’s why it doesn’t hurt to pick up the phone and ask another driver for some advice first…

Its knowledge you pick up over time hence why the best companies want only experienced staff and are prepared to pay for them, your driving style alters completely on this type of work because you pay as much attention to what’s above ahead of you as you do the road, and you are watching the road for different things, ie that set of undulations which set a bounce up might not even feature on a normal lorry driver’s radar, but that same set of undulations could cause an excessive bounce which heaves the car on deck 10 up so far it hits the deck above, in practice these issues affect motorways and main roads more than normal A roads (even if the 2 way A roads are cratered like after a bloody war) so knowing you are going to be going over these sections creating excessive bounce you would set certain decks higher to take account of the extra uplift.

Note some trainers will try to tell you cars only bounce down not up, this is box ticker ■■■■■■■■ and i’d like a £ for every time i’ve heard it and took the ■■■■, it wasn’t such an issue when we used to tie the cars down properly, ie underbody, but the suits got involved and now everything is tied down with chocks and wheelstraps which don’t prevent bounce because suspensions are fully active and free.

As G79 says there are approved routes, but on a multi drop as you skill up and learn where and when you can’t go, you might spend 20 minutes re-arranging the load layout after getting shot of 4 cars, reducing the total height from 15’9" to 14’6", because you will have learned the rest of the route is OK at what would be called flat deck but impassable due to low trees with flipped up cars…well OK passable when dry weather but maybe not when its wet which brings the trees lower still.
Sometimes the approved route might be 60 miles further due simply to tree issues on a 120 mile run, just how it is.
This tree issue on multi drops is why some old hands including me were so reluctant to lose our 10 car Lohr mk4 (cake stand) bodies, often you only needed to deliver three cars and move one back to reduce your height from 16’ down to 14’, plus it was completely stable on the road no matter how it was loaded.

As you first mentioned in your OP, there is a hell of a lot to learn, and thats why it takes years.

As mentioned the pay schemes can be complicated, once off the guaranteed learning pay you will need to deliver metal efficiently to make the job pay, some companies like ECM are hourly pay based and don’t rely so much on bonuses, this should reflect in lower damage rates as people can take their time and not rush round like their arse is on fire.

Thank you. You have all been a great help, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Got plenty to consider now so will sleep on it for a few more days and decide whether to keep pursuing it, as it stands I’m swaying more towards giving it a try.