Info required.

Well im currently working as a car delivery driver. I love being out on the open roads and am still looking at doing my HGV License. I am looking to do my Class 2 first and I have decided to stay well away from some of these training companies. Some guy at EASYHGV called Pete continues to phone me on a daily basis, leaves the same message each time, just goes to show how desperate they are for the business.

Can anyone recommend a decent training school in the North West? Also, how much work is available for newly qualified drivers? Is it best to go through an agency for immediate work? Realistically, what sort of hourly wage can I expect as a new driver?

Cheers

Stu

Take a look at the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

which is full of training schools recommended by members of TruckNet.

And Welcome

Good Luck with whoever you choose to go with. Keep us informed of your progress

Dean

it might be a bit too far into wales for you. but ive just passed with chevron in flint.
who i can definetly reccommend.

chevrontraining.co.uk/

my training diary is on here too if u wanna read how i got on

thanks for the replies. I believe that I am willing to pay the money out for my training, however, again what opportunities are out there for newly qualified drivers? Are there companies who will take these drivers on as I dont wish to be in the position of not being able to get work after spending so much on gaining my license…

Stu

I’m sorry I can’t really give you any answers mate but as others will tell you, drivers with years of experience are struggling to find work at the moment.

What I can say to you is that I used a company similar to easyashgv to fund my training and have had a terrible experience with them so please try and avoid training brokers and go to the trainer directly. I now deal directly with Ritchies Training, Springburn, Glasgow. Great bunch of people and their prices are reasonable too. They also provide accommodation for people travelling from far and wide although I don’t know how much this costs. When I was there I met people from Manchester, Liverpool etc all doing their Cat C and CE training with them.

Keep us posted

Craig

I can’t really answer that question either, but i’m about to find out. laying out all this cash is unfortunately something of a gamble.

from what I understand, there are agencies that will take on inexperienced or newly qualified drivers. how much work there is though i don’t know. i’m planning to apply direct to companies too.

it seems that things are picking up a bit now though, if you compare the forum now to how it was just after christmas, there seems to be a definate trend in people finding work a bit easier.

personally, i’ll be willing to accept absolutely any work offered, be it a sporadaic day here or there or driving plus manual labour, anything.

RSTurbo50:
Well im currently working as a car delivery driver. I love being out on the open roads and am still looking at doing my HGV License. I am looking to do my Class 2 first and I have decided to stay well away from some of these training companies. Some guy at EASYHGV called Pete continues to phone me on a daily basis, leaves the same message each time, just goes to show how desperate they are for the business.

Can anyone recommend a decent training school in the North West? Also, how much work is available for newly qualified drivers? Is it best to go through an agency for immediate work? Realistically, what sort of hourly wage can I expect as a new driver?

Cheers

Stu

Some time reading the longer threads in this forum is advised. One of note -

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67223

If you still want to continue and are prepared for the possibility of not being able to get a job for 2 years and only doing all the crappy agency jobs that the blue eyes boys refuse to do then you can expect around £6 - £6.50/hr for class 2 and a bit more via agency. Overtime rate will vary depending on company/agency. Some pay a flat rate all the way through, some pay time 1.5 after 8 hours, some pay 1.33 after 50 hours etc etc.

Best off staying in whatever job you’re currently in imho.