Info required Overland via Serbia to Greece

Hi All,

anyone have any info on running Serbia to Bulgaria then into Greece, looking for tolls/parking etc and do you need any sort of thing to Transit, i.e. T forms ?
Looking for an alternative route to Romania/Bulgaria/Greece overland. We still ship Ancona/Patra but some of the drivers like to go overland, So any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

I’ve done it but not for years. I would imagine it would cost a fair bit more than the ferry though, by the time you pay for the imaginary taxes and for having some dirty water squirted at your lorry at the border etc and I also imagine it would take a day or two longer.

It used to be the case that Serbia did bot accept the Green Card and although this has theoretically changed, I still hear of people being charged for motor insurance at the Serbian border.

Apart from the probable delays on borders, extra costs & documentation and risk of damage to trucks, why would you want to drive an extra 1000 km on expensive fuel when you can relax on a ferry. In days of a belly tank with gazole rouge the savings were worth the extra effort.

some people actually like driving through romania?

are they mad or are they ■■■■■?

Ha ha ! the spirit of adventure ! ! what’s happened to everyone, it would appear that it’s now lets take the easy life/route.
The reason that some of the drivers go overland ? women ! different ! and at this time of year, to get a ferry from
Ancona in August is ■■!!!■■
Gazole rouge, belly tanks, head board tanks, Scania 141/142’s Daf3300/3600’s Spacecabs, and Drivers who knew what they
were doing, well mine did? my god they were good days.
Yes, I know it’s cheaper, but !
regards

I fully appreciate the “sense of adventure” thing, it’s why I do the job and I’m glad that I have been that way to Greece, happy memories!

But unless you were getting a fantastic rate for the job, the extra time and expense would make it uneconomic. It’s also Crime Central down there and I couldn’t be done with it when I could be eyeing up eurototty on a Superfast ferry and doing Pivo Control.

agree with Harry Monk, save.s time trouble, and worry, less wear and tear on
the truck trailer,and driver as well…

I might be at risk of repeating myself, as I think this has been asked before but, I quite like driving through Serbia, very friendly people and the road from north to south is as good as any motorway in Greece. When I transited last they had no problem in accepting my greencard, I had to exchange some money into Serb currency at the border to pay for transit and goods during the journey. This time of year the cost of ferries will be through the roof, so I’d prefer overland myself (even as an employed driver), add in the scenery, food, craic and the fact that my job description is a “driver” and not a “sailor”……

JJSL:
Ha ha ! the spirit of adventure ! ! what’s happened to everyone, it would appear that it’s now lets take the easy life/route.

Yes, I know it’s cheaper, but !
regards

I think you have asked and answered your own question :stuck_out_tongue:

I would prefer to do the overland route rather than the Italian trudge or ferry trip, however a boss who knows his true costs would buy you a boarding pass. :laughing:

Well Guys,
thanks for the answers/info, have a nice August.
I’m off for a few weeks in the camper to Swiss and Italy
Regards

Scotchbaz:
I might be at risk of repeating myself, as I think this has been asked before but, I quite like driving through Serbia, very friendly people and the road from north to south is as good as any motorway in Greece

agreed. I could never understand why romania and bulgaria were accepted into eu and serbia and croatia were not. also a lot of greeks use the overland route through serbia as well, most of them use a TIR carnet though.

milodon:
agreed. I could never understand why romania and bulgaria were accepted into eu and serbia and croatia were not.

I think Serbia was considered to be a bit too buddy-buddy with Moscow.

ONE of the reasons for not being accepted was the fact that both countries refused to voluntarily hand over suspected war criminals following the Balkans war in the early to mid 90`s.

Today there are many men and women going about their business in these (and other European) countries who committed the most repulsive and barbaric crimes against other people,mainly women and children, who were of a different ethnicity to them.

Srebrenica, Ahmici, Stipli Dho (sp?)…scenes of barbaric slaughter and mutilation,usually of the elderly, women and young children, carried about by individuals who are freely walking around today, not even high ranking “officers” and I use the word very very lightly, but men and women who were part of different armoured factions or renegade groups,all allied to the same side and allowed to commit atrocities at will. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Some of the older and now local police / militia in the surrounding areas of these towns and villages are the very same individuals who committed the atrocities a few years ago and despite being known by the survivors who witnessed the attacks and slaughter and who are willing to identify them, nothing has or probably will be done about them!! :imp: :imp: :imp: