Info request Allisons Tpt Dundee & other Related Firms

I am researching for a transport project

I have lots of information already, but I can always use more no matter how small,
if you have pictures please post or message me

Many thanks

I am requesting any information on the following firms

Allisons Transport Contracts Ltd
Allisons Freightlines Ltd

Firms taken over by the above:

Kemps of Leslie
Clark and Dutch Perth
F and F Transport Blairgowrie
WW Cook Brechin
J Banks Dundee
Gateside Garage and Eng. co Fife
Sid Harris Glasgow

Midland Motors Nottingham
Browns Beverley
WES Harwaden North Wales
F and F Transport Blairgowrie
Alfred Brittain London
WW Cook Brechin
J Banks Dundee

My dad worked for Allisons in the 60s he worked out of their Nottingham depot on Glaisdale Drive Bilborough

Thanks for that,

did he work for Midland Motors prior to takeover by Allisons
(I did not know the address of the depot, so thanks for that)

wheeltapper:
Thanks for that,

did he work for Midland Motors prior to takeover by Allisons
(I did not know the address of the depot, so thanks for that)

Your welcome
He was at Midlands Storage ( a TDG company) prior to Allisons he was there when Spinks took over Allisons and he left not much long after that
The depot manager at Nottingham was called Alan Goodband

transportphotos.com/road/photos

CX00303.jpg

gazsa401:

Now just cast your eyes on the roping at the front of that load! Now that is a variation on what we termed “A Scotchman”, we would just put a rope up behind where the ropes crossed then hitched it down whereas this Allison driver has put a “tightener” on both parts of the cross ! I wonder if he was a Dundee driver or a Cockney shunter ? Or maybe that is the driver with the trilby and all he is there for is to “drive”. A bit like most of to-days jockeys if a similar situation arose ! "Sorry mate I’m only the driver, sheeting and roping ? never done it mate, the RTITB never taught that! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Dennis, that’s a good job someone’s done there. My money is on the guy in the Donkey jacket. Everybody seemed to have them back then, although before my time.

Paul

The gent in the hat is Alec Bruce, he was the depot manager of Allisons Transort @ Causwayside St in Glasgow just off London road. The shot was taken for publicity purposes at Parkhead, I think the driver is a Glasgow based driver ?, the load is probably dute ?.

wheeltapper:
The gent in the hat is Alec Bruce, he was the depot manager of Allisons Transort @ Causwayside St in Glasgow just off London road. The shot was taken for publicity purposes at Parkhead, I think the driver is a Glasgow based driver ?, the load is probably dute ?.

I was going off the lettering on the sheet ! and wrongly :blush: assumed it was London :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

wheeltapper:

I was going off the lettering on the sheet ! and wrongly :blush: assumed it was London :wink: Cheers Bewick.

It was not unusual for the Dundee details to be on 1 door and London on the other. Liverpool and Glasgow in smaller text on the vehicle, sheets had Dundee or London.

As said before, did love to watch the endless line of Allisons Freightlines heading South on a Sunday afternoon in 1969, on the A 74, as I went North, ready to load timber on Monday Morning at Biggar or Carluke. Listening to ‘Sugar Sugar’ on the radio - except between about Johnstonebridge and Abington - where there was no reception of any station!

I wonder how many Allisons’ drivers had had a refreshing pint or two with their Sunday lunch before setting off?

John.

Hi wheeltapper, one from Ronnie Cameron’s collection, also info and photos here on the Brian Edgar website
public.fotki.com/Scottishtruckp … reightlin/
public.fotki.com/Scottishtruckph … ments.html
Also fellow member backsplice spent a few years on Allison’s and hopefully he’ll twig your thread and add a bit more
Oily

gazsa401:

I’ll bet that 4 in line trailer “wobbled” a bit,didn’t like those things,had a few at Humber McVeigh’s

David

5thwheel:

gazsa401:

I’ll bet that 4 in line trailer “wobbled” a bit,didn’t like those things,had a few at Humber McVeigh’s

David

IMHO a four-in-line trailer combination was, in the day, the most cost effective artic at 24 tons gvw although I acknowledge the set up had to be treated with respect and it is in this “area” that problems IMHO were encountered but it was a “driver” problem and not the fault of the equipment. I can honestly say I never heard any of Brady’s drivers complaining about the Four-in-lines during the time I was there ! Question for our AEC enthusiasts, is that Allison unit a Mercury or a Mandator ? My guess is it was a Mercury as this would be the perfect match for the trailer ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

gazsa401:

David

IMHO a four-in-line trailer combination was, in the day, the most cost effective artic at 24 tons gvw although I acknowledge the set up had to be treated with respect and it is in this “area” that problems IMHO were encountered but it was a “driver” problem and not the fault of the equipment. I can honestly say I never heard any of Brady’s drivers complaining about the Four-in-lines during the time I was there ! Question for our AEC enthusiasts, is that Allison unit a Mercury or a Mandator ? My guess is it was a Mercury as this would be the perfect match for the trailer ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, This is a MK 5 AEC I dont ever recall a Mercury with this type of cab, Of course I may be wrong,■■?, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

gazsa401:

Now just cast your eyes on the roping at the front of that load! Now that is a variation on what we termed “A Scotchman”, we would just put a rope up behind where the ropes crossed then hitched it down whereas this Allison driver has put a “tightener” on both parts of the cross ! I wonder if he was a Dundee driver or a Cockney shunter ? Or maybe that is the driver with the trilby and all he is there for is to “drive”. A bit like most of to-days jockeys if a similar situation arose ! "Sorry mate I’m only the driver, sheeting and roping ? never done it mate, the RTITB never taught that! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Hiya Dennis I hope your keeping well my dad often used “A Scotchman” especially if he was loading for a Scottish driver who was heading back home
Or as you say for extra load security when he was loading for himself
I can remember when he worked for Kinneils he’d often rope a scotchman but some drivers would look a little bemused when he spoke in his broad Nottinghamshire accent and they were expecting a Scottish driver
Happy memories

oiltreader:
Hi wheeltapper, one from Ronnie Cameron’s collection, also info and photos here on the Brian Edgar website
public.fotki.com/Scottishtruckp … reightlin/
public.fotki.com/Scottishtruckph … ments.html
Also fellow member backsplice spent a few years on Allison’s and hopefully he’ll twig your thread and add a bit more
Oily

A pal of mine who was a owner driver in the 50/60s used to back load with these empty whiskey barrels when he was in London they were delivered to a firm in Newcastle called Sinclair & they used to refurbish them, It was a regular return load ? he said it was a good rate, He was the only one that Allison would give them to, He must have been well in with their traffic manager, The good old long gone days, Regards Larry.