info on union

hi any one no of a good union, not the gmb as you pay them and when you have a problem thay dont want to help you.
thanks

URTU … United Road Transport Union. I’ve been in for a few years … FREE advice from your area Officer … often leave a message and he will phone you back.

The Rustler:
URTU … United Road Transport Union. I’ve been in for a few years … FREE advice from your area Officer … often leave a message and he will phone you back.

Not canvassing but I agree.

yes URTU + no political affiliation or levy, good solicitors good free advice which I believe that family members can use, and their only speciality is transport,and don’t do bun fights with members money.

The name of the union is not important, mind you the RMT gets good deals for its members…who happen to stick together which lorry drivers are incapable of doing.

The most important choice you will make is when you select your shop steward.

A good SS wears two hats.

One when they are representing the genuine worker (not the usless shirker who will put you all out of work), strong enough to stand up to management bullying, honourable enough not to accept the uspoken bribes such as the cushy easy work which happens to be the most lucrative which some companies manage to send their way, the easily bought steward won’t rock any boats.

The other is worn when maintaining discipline in the ranks, to stop idiots taking the P or pulling sickies every couple of weeks, a unprofitable company won’t be in business for long so a good steward should make sure that the company gets a fair days work for that fair days pay.

The union is you members sticking together and having a shop steward you can trust implicitly to represent you, thats not to say the steward has to be your best mate (too much of that goes on) the steward needs a good sense of whats right and fair play for all, including themselves and the management.

Agree that URTU would be a good first call though.

URTU is excellent.
if you have a problem, you are not on your own!

I’m in URTU, but as Juddian has already written, it’s only as good as the Members and Shop Steward, so if you find you’re working somewhere and they have a good shop steward from another union I’d consider joining that one.

On a side note Unions have become a dirty word in for many workers in the UK, partly because of their activities in the 70’s and mostly because of years of right wing press brain washing.
But remember a union is there to help you when you need it, and it doesn’t matter how good your boss is and I’ve worked for some really good people. But if the ■■■■ hits the the fan, they’ll be looking after their own back, if they are a big company then they’ll have a full legal department to help them if it’s a small company they might have access to a trade body legal department, if this happen you’ll need somebody with the legal knowledge so you can look after yours.

Im in unite.ive been dealing with them lately.very sharp,on the ball and helpful but as said only as good as the ss available.

The mothers union are nice to deal with.