Info on driving in Europe

Hello,
I have just started a position in the Czech Republic with a logistics company and I would like to find out about drivers hours and regulations in Europe?
Also, any info on vehicle makings, etc would be of a great help.
I have tried to look for links to some sites, but I am having no luck.

Thanks.

Neil

www.vosa.gov.uk
by following the links you should find some useful info
how did you end up in getting a job in Prague is it driving etc etc

Hi,
thanks for your reply, but it seems all on this site is related to the UK and not to Europe in general.
I know we are now supposed to all be in one union, but there does seem to be differences in what you can and cannot do!!
Interesting to see the new laws coming into effect in the UK.

As for Prague, I am married to a Czech, so…

Thanks and have a good Christmas.

Neil

Hi ,as to yur request about information ,what are you looking for ,the rules for
the EU apply to drivers from all countries so you will be able to use the info from VOSA but have you thought of asking at you local traffic office as to what you are allowed to do,give us here a idea as to what you wish to know and the
members who come from all over the european area will do there best to give you the right answer also what about the cezch trucker sites have you thought to try their sites,as stated we need to know what you require in order to reply.
so get posting your questions in full .

Hi Pete,
well, I thought that it would be the same all over EU, but it seems that it is not!
I have seen different rules for tachographs already here compared with the UK!! Unless things have changed since I was there?
It would be good to find out about double drivers regulations, as this is something I have never been involved with.
I am also looking for info on the EU Green and White round stickers that are on the front of some trucks here. I think, they are for low noise and taxes, but would like to confirm this?
And then there is the weight limit(s) and different categories?
I have found sites for Hazchem ( ADR) and feel OK with that part.

So, anything you can think of that I have not asked for, but could be of help to me, then please let me know…

Wishing you all the best regards for Christmas and a happy new year.
Neil

The green disc with a white “L” on it is for “Landarmschutz”. That is for extra quiet truck and trailer. It is tested in the annual roadworthy test and needs extra documentation. You are only allowed to use certain, specified tyres, there is extra sound proofing round the engine and gearbox, extra quiet exhaust etc.

Having it allows faster night running in Austria, on the Autobahns. 60kmh instead of, I think, 30 kmh. However, on the run from Kufstein through to Italy on the Brenner, there is an overtaking ban all the way, so having the Larmschutz isn’t going to be much help.

I have seen a lot of Hungarian wagons recently, with a yellow disc and a white “H” on it. I don’t know what that one is for. I haven’t had the opportunity to find out. yet.

The VOSA site gives you the EU Drivers Hours and Tachograph rules, in English. These rules apply to all truck drivers in the EU. But each country also has its own Domestic hours rules, at least I expect they do. We have the UK Domestic hours rules and I can see no reason why other EU countries wouldn’t have something similar. Domestic hours rules are only applicable to very restricted types of jobs. Each countries police force interprets these rules slightly differently too. Some, like the UK, are very strict on all of them, some others are more relaxed on some parts of the rules. For example, a French Gendarme doesn’t like to see a solid driving period of 4:30 then a 45 min break. They much prefer shorter drives, but if you take plenty of breaks, they don’t worry so much about driving for more than 9 or 10 hours in a day.

There are also other local restrictions. For example, in Germany, Italy, France and much of Spain, only limited types of goods are allowed to be transported by truck on a Sunday, eg fresh or chilled food can be moved, frozen cannot. The rest of us have to be parked up for the day. In Switzerland (which isn’t EU), trucks have to park up for the night by 10pm.

Pete,

Quite a few months ago (when I was still living in Germany) either you or me posted a link to a Czech site that was in English. I thought it was me but can’t find it anywhere now!?! Must’ve been you?? :confused:

Hi Simon,
thanks for that info on the green plates, but is there some site that explains all of them?
So in Austria, the night speed limit is only 30km/h and 60 km/h with sticker!!!

HI marcustandy,
If this site does exist it would be helpful.

Thanks all for your help.

Neil

try this connection it will bring you to a site with more than one choice,i will look for a better site as regards trucking and rules and regs ,and will post asap when found,

google.de/search?hl=de&q=tra … ch&spell=1

Hi Niel

A few new rules which are now law in Chez since 01.01.01.

In the winter daytime driving with dipped headlights

if you are involved in an accident ,and there are no injuries and the damage does not exceed 20000Kr (about 500euros) you donot need to call the police

If there is a Hazard in front of you, you must switch on the warning flashers

When 2 lanes go into 1 you have got to let the other vehs in.(zip method)

you are allowed to overtake"kolonen" on the right

Speed limits

M/ways Urban Towns

Cars 130 90 50

Cars with Trailers 80 80 50

Trucks and Bus 110 90 50
under 3.5t

Trucks 80 80 50

Vignette
Needed for all M/ways and National roads

Vignette types up to 3.5t 3.5-12t over 12t

“R” = 1 year 800kr 6000kr 12000kr

“M” = 1 Month 200kr 1000kr 2000kr

" D" = 10 day 100kr 400kr 800kr

" J" = 1 Day only available for trucks over 12t 300Kr

When you buy a Vignette check they have punched the right date

The Vignette comes in 2 parts fill in BOTH with your Reg Nr

Stick the “Sticky One” only in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen

You are only allowed to have 1 vignette in the windscreen, remove all old stickers

Geoff

Hi niel

Green Plates

“L” (Larmarm) low noise needed in Austria to drive between 10pm and 5am

“G”( gerauscharm) low noise under 80db not allowed to drive in Austria betwwen 10pm and 5am

“S” (schadstoffarm) low emission only needed for Austrian platted Trucks

“U” only for Austria combination of “L and S” (green lorries)

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

A couple of points to ask?

With the green and white circles, do they only apply to Austria and no other country? And I also see the number 3 on some trucks as well?

When an accident occurs, I thought that the police should always be called, even if it is little damage?

What is “kolonen”?

With truck speed limits, I am told of two upper limits on highways! 80 and 90, so I am abit confused?

Regards Neil

Hi,

The other major issue of finding info is about road weight/ axle weight regulations here? i.e. Max limit, combinations??

I cannot seem to find a reliable source, so if you can help with this I would be grateful.

Thanks Neil

Green Plates are only needed in Austria

the Nr 3 on green plate is Euro 3 motor

the only difference in speedlimits
cars 130kph m/ways ,trucks and buses up to 3.5t 110kph
both are allowed 90kph on national roads

Thanks,
Not sure of the answer to speed limits?

Can trucks do 80 or 90 on highway/motorways??

Cheers.
Neil

vehs over 3.5t are only allowed to drive 80kph on M/ways
geoff

Thanks again.

As I said I am being told that it is now 90, but did not think it was right??

I am keeping to 80, which seems to be the norm, but not everyone.

Cheers.
Neil

Hi Niel

here is a list of axle weights in Europe

Geoff[/url]

Thanks,

You have been of Great Help.

Will study this now and leave you in peace

Enjoy the holiday, if you have one!!

Neil