Info for new Volvo FH drivers

Ok I heard it third hand but it’s true apparently a brand new Peter Green Volvo came off the road and ended up buried in a hedgerow so obviously initially the driver gets the blame as usual. After some investigations the new Volvo with 17 miles on the clock never had any kind of locking pin on the steering wheel or something along those lines so sounds like it could have been so so much worse.

They had a couple in Europe at the time but phoned them to immediately park up as they’re getting Volvo out to look at them. Anyone heard of this type of problem ?

Apparently Peter Green are taking it much further.

I don’t quite understand what you mean about a locking pin BB. Could you please clarify what it is and what its supposed to do?

May be, its the little gadget that locks the steering wheel when you take the keys out, and possibly, it malfunctioned, and locked the steering wheel whilst in motion, or something along those lines.

truckyboy:
May be, its the little gadget that locks the steering wheel when you take the keys out, and possibly, it malfunctioned, and locked the steering wheel whilst in motion, or something along those lines.

Yeah, my first thought too, but Bald Bloke said they didn’t have a locking pin. If it’s missing it can’t cause grief can it?

Yeah, but he said it never had a locking pin or something along those lines…and the fact it ended up in a hedgerow, coupled with the fact that he has told his drivers in europe to park up, until volvo have inspected them. Could be a one off, or a major design fault, i doubt whether the driver would steer a brand new truck into the hedgerow, so watch this space .
Trucknet Detective RSVP. :laughing:

Could be a locking pin on the shaft going into steering box, shaft comes off no steering. ?,?

Well marmite have a few new volvos and none of there drivers have had any problems I think some one messed up and is covering there tracks but I gess the truth well come out when vosa inspect it

Or once Trucknets crack team of forensics bods either parachute in, inspect and assess the damage, then report their findings.

Or alternatively they could do as normal which is glance at a few grainy, out of focus shots and pronounce driver guilt. :wink:

ive had 4 brand new Volvos and ive seen well over 50 branc new ones never seen one yet with just 17 miles on the clock …always been with 150 at least

the maoster:
I don’t quite understand what you mean about a locking pin BB. Could you please clarify what it is and what its supposed to do?

Well i did hear it third hand but it was along the lines of what i stated and some kind of locking pin was missing so that’s all I can say really.

I got told a nut was missing off a Track rod.

M G B:

Good call, I was gonna say maybe a split pin was missing from a steering joint and the nut worked its way off.

M G B:

Yes maybe that was it, by the way who told you that ?

Sounds more like the nut behind the wheel was loose to me.

bald bloke:

M G B:

Yes maybe that was it, by the way who told you that ?

Only another driver he said it happened Frome way I think it was.

Sounds like a major ■■■■ up with quality control and PDI than any particular problems with te new new truck then.

I work at a Volvo dealership and can say It’s a factory problem during the build, the nuts are only finger tight on the track rod ends so a recall notice has been issued for certain new models.

VolvoFM:
I work at a Volvo dealership and can say It’s a factory problem during the build, the nuts are only finger tight on the track rod ends so a recall notice has been issued for certain new models.

Thanks for clearing that up.

VolvoFM:

:open_mouth: Unbelievable.

Rob K:

VolvoFM:

:open_mouth: Unbelievable.

Yes and apparently the Peter Green driver was only going 30 ish and as i stated ended up in a hedge, imagine it went on a bend with a coach load of kids coming the other way. :open_mouth: