Inexperienced Drivers

I’m as mechanical as a bag of hamsters but you can’t have everything. :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing:

I’m just curious… I don’t like NOT knowing… I could do with a Haynes manual for Trucks… :smiley:

There’s a good chance that even if you did know what was wrong, if it broke on the side of the road, then you probably wouldn’t be able to fix it with your swiss army knife anyway… :laughing:

I was all over the Merc Rigid when the alternator fell apart and it was taken to the garage… I’m in awe at the shear scale of it all… Massive lump, intercooler (MMmm will that fit on my ■■■■■■… :question: :wink: )
Unfortunatly, at 9pm on a Friday night, the mechanic wasn’t as enthusiastic as me, which was made clear with ‘grunts’, so I couldn’t pester him for info… :frowning:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Hey chrissie…theres nothing wrong in being curious…and because it was late at night the mechanics were not wanting to teach you…when i was a youngster my dad bought me a meccano set…and i made a Guy Warrior with turbo intercooled engine, and an air drier for the air system to stop it freezing in winter.and …what a load of baloney on my part…but its nice to take an interest .i used to play with cars and take them to bits to see if i could…thats how i learned…when i entered transport i used to go in the fitters shop as often as i could.(we were allowed in those days) the mechanics were mechanics in those days and not fitters…for example if something didnt work they would take it to bits and rebuild it with new parts…today theyre only fitters and just order a new one of everything and fit it on…keep asking questions…and you can only learn…i did…now i can do almost any job on a truck or car that doesnt have a computer…but i`m not afraid to attempt it…good luck
have a nice day

I’m not having a go TruckyBoy - although I don’t think you’ve taken it as such anyway, and your right, it is good to be curious and god forbid I should ever stop anyone being so. Just that I’m not, never have been, never will be :wink: .

WOW :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: according to truckyboy when i was a fitter iwasnt … i was a mechanic :open_mouth:
when it broke id find the offending bit ,remove it ,price it up,then the boss would say “im not paying THAT tec it appart an see if you can fix it”
and i usually could :smiley:

Ragtop:
I’m in awe at the shear scale of it all… Massive lump, intercooler (MMmm will that fit on my ■■■■■■… :question: :wink: )

Had an intercooler of a new holland CR980 massive it was & a £3500 price tag :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ragtop:
Unfortunatly, at 9pm on a Friday night, the mechanic wasn’t as enthusiastic as me, which was made clear with ‘grunts’,

Are you sure you’ve posted on the correct website forum, Chrisie?? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ragtop:
I’m in awe at the shear scale of it all… Massive lump,

yeah i think you have got the wrong type of forums here :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

mezzzz1211:
WOW :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: according to truckyboy when i was a fitter iwasnt … i was a mechanic :open_mouth:
when it broke id find the offending bit ,remove it ,price it up,then the boss would say “im not paying THAT tec it appart an see if you can fix it”
and i usually could :smiley:

Thats why your a driver now your over qualified :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

simon

SimonRS2K:
I found a new driver at my old firm checking the oil level with the engine running :open_mouth:

simon

Caterpillar engines had to be checked with the engine running :slight_smile:

Stupidest thing I saw :exclamation: was a motorcyclist waving his arms at the cashier to turn the pump on :open_mouth:

Cashier decided that Suzuki hadnt yet made a diesel engine on a bike.

Rider convinced BP diesel pump was unleaded :blush: :blush: :blush: Honestly

A couple of months ago I was given a hired Stralis to drive for a week. It was white, the box on the back was white and I was coming over the Avonmouth bridge one windy night. This bridge has a very bumpy road surface on it and you tend to bounce about a bit. I was going over the high part of the bridge when I hit a largish bump. At the same time I heard a loud banging from behind the cab. When I looked in the mirrors on my passenger side all I could see was a large white wall jumping in and out from the back of the cab. My first thought was “Holy zb the trailers come adrift!” Somehow I managed to stop without losing the trailer completely. I got out, checked my pants and crept round the nearside to see what the damage was. How stupid did I feel when I found out it was the side fairing that you pull out to get up to the suzies that the wind had blown out and had been flapping around in the wind.

And these people are on the road?? oh maybe they work for the transport agency :laughing:

i was given a drop in caldecote cambs,8 meters of concrete,address was a non starter!!!,so i drove round and round and round…asked a few people,never heard of it mate was the reply.
Then as i’m going past this building site,a man flags me down and i thought thank god for that.he backs me up a tight lane for about half a mile!!!,up to some foundations,i show him the ticket,and remarked how crap the address was(which he agreed),he then said to wet it up,and stick it in the hole which i did.
Then another one of our trucks arrive,so i went up to my mate to ask him if he had a dodgey address?,he looked at my ticket,and then informed me that i had in fact delivered to the wrong address!!!
end result being…that the concrete was no good for foundations,and my company had to pay lots to get it out,after it had set

smallp:
i was given a drop in caldecote cambs,8 meters of concrete,address was a non starter!!!,so i drove round and round and round…asked a few people,never heard of it mate was the reply.
Then as i’m going past this building site,a man flags me down and i thought thank god for that.he backs me up a tight lane for about half a mile!!!,up to some foundations,i show him the ticket,and remarked how crap the address was(which he agreed),he then said to wet it up,and stick it in the hole which i did.
Then another one of our trucks arrive,so i went up to my mate to ask him if he had a dodgey address?,he looked at my ticket,and then informed me that i had in fact delivered to the wrong address!!!
end result being…that the concrete was no good for foundations,and my company had to pay lots to get it out,after it had set

did u not know the difference between concrete’s :question: this is genuine question m8,as i thought concrete is concrete,all does the same job :confused: :confused: don’t it

think its all down to The mix strength and water content ect. The concrete used in the footings for a tower block would vary slightly from your garden path :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

0300 - Agency driver takes a fully loaded trailer from Nottingham to Ashford, Kent.

0800 - Agency driver phones transport up for directions.

12.30 - Agency driver pulls into Nottingham yard.

Transport - How did you get on then?

Driver - I couldn’t find it.

Transport - Yeah, I remember, but you found it OK in the end?

Driver - No, I couldn’t find it so I bought it back.

Transport - @&%$$%$##!!!

I’m pretty certain they didn’t use the driver again!

Jesus!

I must admit I’ve taken some drops back during my agency time, but that’s sort of 2 or 3 outta 20 odd drops, especially the places where they don’t have a phone in the truck but seem to expect you to use yours.

But going halfway across the country then coming back with it is insane.

i saw a guy top off the hydraulic tank on a tipper with diesel. even better, the culprit had about 30 years of tipper experience under his belt.

I must admit that I once took back 39 out of 40 drops but that was because the vehicle they decided to give me wouldn’t do over 15 mph on the flat. I’m not sure wether it was because it was so old or overloaded. When I got back they said in desperation that they could load it onto a brand new sprinter van that was parked in the yard. If a 3.5 tonner was overloaded, then how would it fit into a Sprinter? And why didn’t you give me that one in the first place? I declined.

Btw, I phoned the agency and told them of my intentions. They refused to pay me for my 2 hours that day. I saw this as the agency condoning companies like that.