Indonesia/Malaysia

Hello… Just registered with the forum and thought I’d share a few photos from my time as an ex-pat in South East Asia.
I’ve tried to upload a few shots from Borneo.

We were moving from Sibu in Malaysia across the border to Pontianak on the Indonesian side.
We had to use a local barge for this trip.
There was also a lot of movement by road only…

If anybody’s interested I’ll upload more photos at a later date…
Thanks…

At Sibu dockyard, reversing on to the barge…

High tide…

No problems here… plenty of ground clearance…

E.R.F. B-series 6x4 and giant wheel centre trailer…

Just arrived in Pontianak after 3 day voyage…

Unloading…

On the site in Pontianak… B-series and Garwood winch to the rescue…

Ran out of steel plates and plyboards… Boss said, 'take here in as far as she’ll go and leave it there!!!"…Fair enough.

Nice photos keep em coming and also the wqrite up as to the whys and what,s
you were doing please,

I’ve uploaded a few more shots… not the best quality but I do hope you’ll find them of interest…

Anyway, I was working in S.E. Asia with a British funfair for almost 4 years (2004-2008)…

As well as the normal routine of ride set-up/ maintenance/operation etc. I was also a driver…
There were around 25 trailers to move on each trip, ranging from skeletal trailers with containers upto some of the bigger rides at 50-60 tons…
We often used to work in co-operation with a local transport/crane hire company at each city… If we were lucky we only had to make 1-2 trips ourselves…
However, since I left the firm they’ve sent a few more old tractor units out there and move everything in-house…

At the time I was around we had only 3 trucks… An E.R.F. B-Series, an EC Series and my personal favourite, a Foden 4000 Series with a rebuilt engine and gearbox… not exactly cutting edge technology but perfect for that part of the world… We had some nice Volvo & Scania 6x4’s on standby back home but they were considered too expensive an asset to be shipped over…

As you can imagine, I came back with a few stories to tell… Also set the record for the fastest 1000 x 200 tyre change in the history of mankind… Wish I’d had the camera with me that day to prove it…

Blew a tyre out near the town of Lahad Datu in Sabah (East Malaysia)… The time was about 6pm (daylight fading)… Pulled over near a river to change the wheel…
Cracked all the nuts with the wheel brace and was just getting ready to fit the spare when we noticed a group of crocodiles eyeing us up for their dinner!!!
Never moved so fast in my life!!!
Wished I was exaggerating but I’m not…

Anyway, here’s a few more photos…

En route from Makassar to Palopo near the famous Toraja Highlands on Sulawesi island, Indonesia…

Just pulled into Malaysian style truckstop between Tawau and Lahad Datu… These places have fire hydrants with long hoses so the drivers can cool off the tyres/hubs etc.

Sabah is a very mountainous state, most of the local trucks carry a water tank behind the cab with a sprayer system to try and keep the wheels/brakes cool…

On rainy days there can be serious traction problems too… Sabah has a huge palm oil industry… Hundreds of palm oil tankers drip their precious cargo onto the road…combined with torrential rain this can make climbing steep gradients rather difficult… The majority of trucks there are double drive…

Entrance gate to Sandakan harbour…

Don’t try this at home…

Local barge preparing to dock on the Kapuas river in Kalimantan Barat province (Western Borneo in English)…

Below I’ve got some shots from the first road journey in Indonesia (Pontianak-Singkawang)… Pulled over to check the tyres and take in the scenery as well as find shelter from the heat…
The temp. was almost 40C that day and the old foden didn’t have aircon…

Wow!

Great pics, keep em coming :wink:

Wow, what an interesting story and pics. Not many people can say they have driven a truck in Asia, (except Asians of course!, Lol.)
That foden loks like it might be originaly owned by the swiss firm Friderici? It certainly looks like it was hard work but what an experiance!

Hi I think that Foden belonged to a bloke subbing for DT’s running to Greece
Gavin

Thanks for that…

Re. the Foden, I’ll try and get some further info. from the current owner in Malaysia… The only thing I know is that it was purchased from an owner/operator in the Hereford/Gloucester area…

Apparently the engine blew in Europe (think it was northern Italy)… Anyway, the guy had it towed back to the U.K. and then spent around £8k on a recond. engine and gearbox…!!!
I’m pretty sure he had the fuel pump/injectors tweaked at the same time because she pulled like a train but was slightly thirsty…

Unfortunately things didn’t work out for him as he experienced a lot of problems with air valves etc…
Heard that he bought a newer truck, not sure but I think it was a Renault Premium 6 x 2… (again, not sure if 100% accurate but that’s the story I was given)…

However, one man’s loss is another man’s gain and we were able to pick it up really cheaply in Sep./Oct. 2005 …

1 week later it was driven to Southampton along with a load of 4 stacked artic trailers and shipped to Singapore…

The good thing about Asia was that generally speaking, the funfairs lasted between 4-6 weeks at each town and didn’t open before 6pm due to the heat and intense humidity…

This gave us plenty of time to work during the day and iron out all of the problems… after 3-4 months we were on top of it and she ran like a dream… most of the trouble was caused by the A.B.S. system and load sensing valves…

The fuel consumption wasn’t an issue as diesel on the pump in Indonesia was approx. 30p a litre at the time!!!

The first journey after I left was from Sandakan to Keningau through the mountains near Mt. Kinabalu (S.E. Asia’s highest peak)…
A Thai replaced me and he managed to rip the clutch straight out… :frowning:
Another guy got the old B-series red hot and she seized up on the side of the mountain!!!
Nothing like local labour…

Thankfully they’re both back on the road now and still attracting a lot of attention from confused locals…

I’ll try to post a few more photos of my experiences next week…

I was looking at Wire’s diary from Canada and the USA, that gave me the idea to post my story…

You’re right about a lot of hard work/stress but it was more than worth it…
Didn’t come home rich but I’m a millionaire experience wise…
I imagine it’s an adventure over there too…

Was also wondering if yourself or other ex-pats ever run through Massachusetts■■?

I spent a month in the Albany/Troy area (New York state) back in the spring this year…
A customer bought a machine from us and I had to set it up and do the staff training…

Flew into Boston Logan Airport then drove down the West Mass. Pike (think that’s I-95■■), eventually turned north towards Montreal but I only got as far as Saratoga Springs…
That’s a very beautiful part of the world too…

Sorry if I’m going off topic here but it just reminded me of one of our trucks that has been sold to an operator in Zimbabwe…

Sorry for the comparison, I know it’s not in the same league as that Pete 379 extended hood…

Think I may be taking this to Immingham or Tilbury in the next 1-2 months after the buyer has finalised the shipping…

Whats that old Freightshaker doing in the UK? Ha, ha. You sure do some interesting stuff and see some unusual trucks. Do you work for a truck exporter or are you in the fairground trade?
I usually run into the south and prefer keeping out of the Eastern side of the US if i can get away with it but i have crossed all of the eastern states except Vermont, Rhode island and Delaware. I agree New England is picturesque but mostly i find that side of the country the least apealing to drive in. Maybe i just don’t like running in traffic anymore.
Yes i love my Pete but if i could drive any truck in the world it would have to be a Volvo VT 880!

Nice 1 Duck a really great read thanks for that, croc wheel change job could have ended up a tad painful! Saratoga Springs is a nice spot had a few nights there some years back.

Regards
Fly sheet

The Freightliner has been here 11 years and was imported from Oklahoma…
The firm always used it as a towing tractor for drawbar (“A” frame) trailers…
There was a large CAT generator on the back which gave ballast and provided power for the rides…
Haven’t got any photos of that on my computer but it looked quite impressive…

The buyer wants to use it as an artic so it’s been converted back to a standard tractor…
Some bright spark got rid of the original fifth wheel from the US so I had to source another (very cheap) one…

About my work, I’ve actually got 2 jobs at the moment…
My boss is involved in fairgrounds and also the motor trade…
He sells cars, vans, 4 x 4’s, light comercials etc. from his site in north Notts.

In the morning/a’noon I work on that side of things…
Normally run to the local east mids./south yorks auctions like Coalville/Measham/Derby/Doncaster etc. to do all the collections/deliveries etc…
When I’m not driving the transporter I help get the new stock ready for sale… There’s always a lot of valeting to do… :unamused:

At night or on busy days I’ll work at the fairs… Next week it’s the big Goose Fair in Nottingham so I doubt there’ll be much lorry driving for me… :laughing:

I know what you mean about traffic… I don’t like it much either…

Don’t think you’d have liked Indonesia… those pesky motorbikes are on a suicide mission (anybody who’s been to Bangkok, Thailand would understand)…
You get used to it after a while but still…

Check this Youtube link out…

youtube.com/watch?v=b5Snj9gLdf4

Not being disrespectful but that’s the intelligence of your average Indonesian truck
driver…

This video must be from Java, I’m guessing Jakarta or Surabaya because I’ve never seen anything as good as that Scania on the other islands…

Youtube have deleted some other more graphic ones…

About those crocs… I still get flashbacks… Before I flew home I was invited to a really upmarket Chinese restaurant…
I can speak/read Malay but not Chinese, about 20 plates of strange food are put on the table and you choose what you want…
Tried the beef etc. before spying a white meat with a fish like texture… The taste was somewhere between pork and chicken…

I really liked it with a bit of fried rice so I asked the waiter what it was…
His response… “itu daging buaya…” (that’s crocodile meat…)

Don’t ask me why but I got really nervous and had all these irrational thoughts of a croc eating me from the inside out!!!
What a nutter!!!

Anyway I’m gonna be busy for a few days now at the fair… Hopefully I’ll be able to upload some more Asian shots on Tue. or Wed. night…

good story and pics duck, used to do a bit of dealing with sedgewicks from northants, and i bet you know a few of the thurstons?

Managed to finish work early and was able to upload a few more asian delights…
Bear with me as I’m trying to find one of my better albums from Thailand with lots of pictures of Thai trucks on the move from Laem Chabang to Bangkok…

In the mean time here’s a few more Malaysian/Indonesian antics…

More island hopping… this time from Pare-Pare in Indonesia to Tawau, Malaysia…

On the odd occasion I’ve spun the wheels and spat a couple of those steel plates out… Thankfully nobody was standing in the “flight-path!!”

Pare-Pare docks…

You don’t need to park this tight on SEAFRANCE do you■■?

Sick of the sight of these things… After loading it took around another day to complete the lashing… got arc eye a few times!!!

“Dalton Edward” had plenty of company in Malaysia… There’s a lot of EC’s in Borneo…

Just completed an eventful 30 hour trip east-bound across the trans-borneo highway from Kuching to Miri…

Had to change the fuel filter en-route, had an electrical short, then blew an airbag off my tag axle which had over inflated… rraggh!!!
After sweating profusely for a day and a half in the cab my armpits and groin were red-raw… Looked like a pork chop!!
Turned my phone off and went straight to the nearest hotel… :imp:

Picture from Beaufort, Sabah (pre-flooding)…

After the weather turned rough me and the lads decided to make this raft to go down the high street…

Entrance to the fair…

Traded the raft in for one of these off a local fisherman :laughing: !!!

I’ve heard of Sedgewicks but don’t know them too well… I know Thurstons however…

In Northampton my boss has a brother with some rides at Billing Aquadrome leisure park…

I took a big transformer there once from a firm in Bromsgrove…

Another time made the trip down the M1 to do some hi-ab work on a Sunday morning in the winter…
The carriages from the big wheel were going to the paintshop…
I went to find a bacon sandwich and a coffee…
When I came back I found a few red faces and one of the carriages submerged at the bottom of the lake!!!
“Anybody can drive an hi-ab” apparently…!!!

Thought they were gonna have to call a paramedic for me as I came down with a nasty bout of chronic laughter…

I get depressed with my job at times but those kinda things always cheer me up!!!

Best of luck to you in Canada, I wouldn’t need to think twice about working in another country again… UK’s just not the same anymore…

Thanks again , a nice well written post and excellent pictures
any chance of you finding some more hidden away,

by any chance did you do a fair in pattaya about 04 or 05 there was one there using uk trailers but thai trucks to pull them if i remember right

Yes, I think it was Jan./Feb. '05. Truck import was a problem at the time so we used local transport firms.