Indicator lights rant

What is it with these designer bods? So many cars now have front and rear light clusters the size of Desperate Dan’s Cow Pie dish and yet can you see the indicators clearly when some numpty actually does use them, but at the last moment? No you can’t, because not only is the lens not amber, but the orange bulb is buried behind a clear or fancy-wavy lens, often inside the reversing light or some other light. On top of that unlike previous practice, the indicator isn’t the lamp at the outer extremity of the cluster, which is the one that you tend to be looking for at say, a roundabout. It may meet Construction and Use, Lighting Regs and Euro mumbo-jumbo Type Approval, but it ****s me off.

Which vehicles are the worst offenders I can’t say, because other than my ancient Alfa I have practically no interest whatsoever in cars since they all look alike.

One of them was made by Fritz though.

Feeling a bit better now.

Have to agree with you there, some are so small as well you barely notice them. them and brake lights should be big enough to be seen clearly. :imp:

Totally agree it’s something that annoys me. Poor design as long as they think they look good it’ll do

Clearly a manufacturers cost saving measure. Not a manufacturers life-saving measure.

Also agree and think it is made worse when they have the day running lights on.

Thought these must have been downgraded to “optional use” these days.

But you’re right, total pain

was thinking the same,just the other day

I think also the current practice of indicating and breaking simultaneously means your eyes are drawn to the brack lights and not the lower intensity indicator normally set within the break light!

I seem to recall all new cars have to have mandatory daylight running lights now…

I have a simple rule on roundabouts, no indicator no respect, just pull out and say thanks as I go if they end up coming towards me with no signal going, problem sorted, and as it is on video in full HD there can be no argument. (used with a bit of common sense of course)

i always thought they were optional extras on cars anyway

gasman:
i always thought they were optional extras on cars anyway

Not just cars :open_mouth:

From the sublime to the ridiculous.

We’ve got Mercedes and others with ■■■■ interrogation standard LED brake lights that dazzle you completely and because they flicker (some people can see this effect some can’t) you cannot judge rate of deceleration, overkill likely to get them rear ended.

Then Audi/VW who are one of the worse for silly little sliver size indictor lights in the rear that fade to nothing beside the brake lights, then put the front indicators beside the headlights so they can’t be seen either.

Other makes as said use the lights as fashion statement, mirrored reflectors and a teeny bulb somewhere behind 3 or 4 layers of plastic, impossible to see once the sun shines on them.

Don’t get me started on DRLs, the latest Volvo lorry fitments have gone as camp as Range Rovers and Audis.

Victims of fashion.

Juddian:
Don’t get me started on DRLs, the latest Volvo lorry fitments have gone as camp as Range Rovers and Audis.

Victims of fashion.

:smiley: I make you right there.

Has any one noticed how small in size the National Coach rear lights are? You would have they’d gone overboard on the safety issue.

Juddian:
From the sublime to the ridiculous.

We’ve got Mercedes and others with ■■■■ interrogation standard LED brake lights that dazzle you completely and because they flicker (some people can see this effect some can’t) you cannot judge rate of deceleration, overkill likely to get them rear ended.

Then Audi/VW who are one of the worse for silly little sliver size indictor lights in the rear that fade to nothing beside the brake lights, then put the front indicators beside the headlights so they can’t be seen either.

Other makes as said use the lights as fashion statement, mirrored reflectors and a teeny bulb somewhere behind 3 or 4 layers of plastic, impossible to see once the sun shines on them.

Victims of fashion.

Agreed, VW group cars are the worst, can hardly see front or back indicators, especially if it’s sunny.
Bernard

Phantom Mark:
I have a simple rule on roundabouts, no indicator no respect, just pull out and say thanks as I go if they end up coming towards me with no signal going, problem sorted, and as it is on video in full HD there can be no argument. (used with a bit of common sense of course)

^^^this^^^

I don’t read minds…

Phantom Mark:
I seem to recall all new cars have to have mandatory daylight running lights now…

Some 30 years ago this, picture Newport Pagnel mini roundabout basically a T junction, my mate Michael in a rolonoff skip lorry going straight over, bloke in car coming the other way suddenly decides without indicator to turn right, so leans on the horn to teach Michael a lesson.

Mike (who never used expletives) stops dead blocking the road off and gradually winds his window down, waits till matey finishes gobbing off, then calmly…‘‘i’m everso sorry but i think the bulb has blown in your offside front indicator’’…then winds window up and calmly drives off leaving geezer speechless.

I too no longer carry a crystal ball, no indicators? expect to stop.

using indicators… i thought that went out of fashion years ago.

… a long long time ago in a far away galaxy there was a civilisation and they had driving manners… thats a fairy tale for another day. :frowning:

What about indicator stalks/sensitivity?

The new DAF I drive is a nightmare for giving correct signals. 9 times out of 10 (literally), I’ll indicate, then realize a few seconds later that my indication has been cancelled! This to the point that I check every second or so with my hand that the stalk is still where I want it to be!

Is this a HGV thing? I’ve only driven the DAF…

My DAF does that, but the other one I drive from time to time, doesn’t. Very strange, and as you say, highly annoying

cav551, there aint nothing wrong in having an old Alfa, I’ve got an '82 Spider :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: