Indecision and LGV doubts

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and really just looking for some views from other people on their experiences.

I am currently driving buses and have done so for the last 6 years, I am now considering doing my cat. C and then cat C+E. There is a haulage company just down the road from me who seem to be always looking for drivers and I think I am ready for a change in career.

The thing which is putting me off is I constantly hear of people who have forked out thousands of pounds to get their licence and then they cant get work because of lack of experience. So I suppose my question is what are your views to the truth in this statement?

Would 6 years driving coaches go anyway towards a potential employer cutting me some slack?

Look forward to your Honest replies to help me make my decision weather to go ahead with it.

NS

I spent 6 years driving buses. I went for my class 2 and because I had experience of driving large vehicles agencies were happy to take me on.
Going from C to C+E might be a bit harder for you to get a chance.

Night Spirit:
There is a haulage company just down the road from me who seem to be always looking for drivers and I think I am ready for a change in career.

If you’re hoping to work there it may be a good idea to find out why they’re always looking for drivers, are they expanding at an unusual pace or is it simply that no-one wants to work for them for whatever reason.

Thanks for your input M1cks it is greatly appreciated. I have reached the point with driving buses where I can’t take anymore, it’s not the driving itself but the hassle with the passengers I can’t take.

Tachograph, I understand that the reason the company near me are looking for drivers is a combination of expansion and the rural location in which they are located.

NS

Night Spirit:
Thanks for your input M1cks it is greatly appreciated. I have reached the point with driving buses where I can’t take anymore, it’s not the driving itself but the hassle with the passengers I can’t take.

Tachograph, I understand that the reason the company near me are looking for drivers is a combination of expansion and the rural location in which they are located.

NS

I found the rude passengers a grind. Just be prepared for a culture change. It’s not like having a duty sheet that says you will come off the road at a certain time.
Last minute nights out, variable finish times (dependant on how competent the office bods and delivery points are) and miserable other drivers who will never be happy with their lot (a bit like bus drivers!)

I am on the buses as well,I do lorries in the school holidays.I think that goods in clerks and FLT drivers are just as bad as school kids.Some people say that bus experience doesnt count for haulage,find out why vacancies keep on cropping up and if they would give you a job without haulage experience.

I would contact company and see if they will take you on when you pass C

Thanks for the replies guys, I will maybe drop them an email and see what they say.

NS

I have decided to go ahead and get the ball rolling and go for the cat. C and then straight after do the C+E. I don’t see myself driving buses for the next 20 years so the financial outlay on doing the LGV training will be an investment in my future.

I have decided to start a thread on here to document my progress through the whole process, it will be a way for me to keep a record of what I have done and when and may be of some use to others, and the advice and comments from you guys on the different stages I am at will be invaluable.

You can find my story here:

NS