Increasing 40mph limit for trucks - any news?

Looking on the net, I see there were government proposals dated late 2012 to increase the existing 40mph speed limit for trucks on single carriageways. Does anyone have any updates on those proposals? Are they still ongoing, or were they ditched?

I take no chances nowadays and stick rigidly to all the limits, as too much of a cash cow. I do think the 40mph limit for trucks on major A roads, just causes endless frustration to others though.

“We are analysing your feedback”

That means it’s gathering dust at the minute in the in tray.

gov.uk/government/consultati … eway-roads

LIBERTY_GUY:
I take no chances nowadays and stick rigidly to all the limits, as too much of a cash cow. I do think the 40mph limit for trucks on major A roads, just causes endless frustration to others though.

But that’s just road user ignorance… no different to the driver that has his fogs on when not required etc.

everyone’s rush rush rush :wink:

macplaxton:
“We are analysing your feedback”

That means it’s gathering dust at the minute in the in tray.

gov.uk/government/consultati … eway-roads

Thanks for the update Mac. :slight_smile:

There is no doubt that the brakes and handling on trucks are far better than they were many years ago, so it would certainly be a worthwhile introduction.

nick2008:

LIBERTY_GUY:

But that’s just road user ignorance… no different to the driver that has his fogs on when not required etc.

everyone’s rush rush rush :wink:

The problems come when you get hills on those 40mph limits. You just don’t have enough momentum at 40mph to climb them at a sensible speed. I used to drive Merc tippers and those could be down to 15mph when fully laden. The rigs nowadays have far more powerful motors I know, but it the archaic speed limit that is the ‘fly in the ointment’… :wink:

Anyone know when the 40 limit was intoduced…I was driving in the late '60’s and it was in then… :question:

The problem is if you increase the limits to say 50 it wont make a heap of difference as people will still want to go faster unfortunately its just human nature

Have you seen the pictures and number of truck crashes in the last 12mths particularly?

I’m not sure I want truck drivers going any quicker until they can stop crashing at the current speed limits

tin hat on :grimacing:

Seriously, I’ve really enjoyed a couple of days of running up to Workington this week, 40mph along the A66 has been lovely, sun shining, still some snow on the hills, why would I want to go any quicker?

i think '61 or '62 fergie , it hadn’t long been increased when i started in '63 .

waynedl:
Have you seen the pictures and number of truck crashes in the last 12mths particularly?

I’m not sure I want truck drivers going any quicker until they can stop crashing at the current speed limits

tin hat on :grimacing:

Seriously, I’ve really enjoyed a couple of days of running up to Workington this week, 40mph along the A66 has been lovely, sun shining, still some snow on the hills, why would I want to go any quicker?

Imm with you paid by the hour

Wonder if the government wallers have asked the manufacturers of LGV vehicles about the emissions/ fuel burn of driving at 50 compared to 40. They surely must have researched for data on recognition time plus stopping distances in all surface conditions compared with older technology lorries.

rigsby:
i think '61 or '62 fergie , it hadn’t long been increased when i started in '63 .

Fifty years ago…think what the motors were like then, hardly get up to 40 mph … :wink:
Like the motorway 70 limit, think that was over 50 years ago as well, and considering what the vehicles were like in those days, and what they’re like today…in fact the limit for lorries has gone down over the years from 60, with the introduction of the speed limiters…
Doesn’t really make sense why they didn’t limit to 60 seeing as that what the speed limit was…still nothing any government does appears to make common sense… :unamused:

Fergie47:
Doesn’t really make sense why they didn’t limit to 60 seeing as that what the speed limit was…still nothing any government does appears to make common sense… :unamused:

I stand to be corrected here but IIRC it was because it was a European directive thingy and they picked 90kph, which roughly translates to 56mph.

the maoster:

Fergie47:

I stand to be corrected here but IIRC it was because it was a European directive thingy and they picked 90kph, which roughly translates to 56mph.

That’s my understanding, and if you think it’s bad losing 3 or 4 mph in a truck (from the limit), try a coach, 70mph legal limit, limiters set around 100kph - 62mph, but usually on a sat nav you’re touching 60mph, so 10mph below the legal limit.

And they said it was for fuel efficiency and pollution, if we could go quicker there would be less time on the road as we would get there quicker :wink: :laughing:

Drift:
And they said it was for fuel efficiency and pollution, if we could go quicker there would be less time on the road as we would get there quicker :wink: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: like your theory…

Fergie47:

Drift:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: like your theory…

I cant guarantee it as my 6 CSE’s don’t cut the mustard but it stands to reason I reckon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rigsby:

Hiya Dave…i thought it was 1963 the limit was lifted from 28mph.to 40 mph on A roads even duel carriageway.
it must have been 1984 when the duel carriageway was lifted to 50.
John

3300John:

rigsby:

Hiya Dave…i thought it was 1963 the limit was lifted from 28mph.to 40 mph on A roads even duel carriageway.
it must have been 1984 when the duel carriageway was lifted to 50.
John

Got an image in my head now of 2 carriageways with single shot pistols at high noon :grimacing:

ABS, EBS B&Q, MFI, Anti-Electronic Whatyamacallits. None of them will be of any help in a head on collision. It’s the head ons that keep the limit low.

Won’t make any difference to us anyway. Any saving of time on a long cross country run will soon be factored into costing upon contract renewal so I doubt we’ll benefit in any way.