Increase in MOT Failures

Has the LGV MOT suddenly got more stringent, or are our fitters drinking too much tea as we’ve had about 4 failures out of 5 tests recently. The old mans’ 02 reg Foden artic failed (miserably I’m told) today; I can predict my first roadside spot-check coming up soon…

Not good…

I’d be interested to know what they actually failed on?

Muckaway:
Has the LGV MOT suddenly got more stringent, or are our fitters drinking too much tea as we’ve had about 4 failures out of 5 tests recently. The old mans’ 02 reg Foden artic failed (miserably I’m told) today; I can predict my first roadside spot-check coming up soon…

I dont know
read the failer report and see what it says

unless it is the emissions, then they have not really got any harder than in previous years

probably your fitters getting lazy

Mike-C:

The foreman of our sandpit where test lorries are loaded said there was air hissing from behind the bumper of Dads this morning. During hard frosts, Dad struggles to get brakes off and has had the suspension lower itself overnight. In fairness, all recent tests have been the oldest motors ie 02,52 and 03 regs but a few years back we had wagons pushing 15 years old sailing through…

Muckaway:

Mike-C:

The foreman of our sandpit where test lorries are loaded said there was air hissing from behind the bumper of Dads this morning. During hard frosts, Dad struggles to get brakes off and has had the suspension lower itself overnight. In fairness, all recent tests have been the oldest motors ie 02,52 and 03 regs but a few years back we had wagons pushing 15 years old sailing through…

i put my 03 plate XF Superspace through MoT at the beginning of March, 1 new windscreen, 2 new bulbs and a 5" length of wire for a side marker lamp

sailed through the MoT with just an advisory for the tacho calibration out of date on the 2 yearly

Too many test failures and the VOSA will be knocking on your door for a maintenance inspection.

cieranc:
Too many test failures and the VOSA will be knocking on your door for a maintenance inspection.

We were talking about this earlier; Then they want to see defect notes, tachos (spot the speeding) and I presume a cut in o’license beckons. Can a workshop manager have their competency questioned by a TC like a TM can?

Muckaway:

Mike-C:

The foreman of our sandpit where test lorries are loaded said there was air hissing from behind the bumper of Dads this morning. During hard frosts, Dad struggles to get brakes off and has had the suspension lower itself overnight.

This sort of answers your question for you? Unless they expected your Dad to fix this before the test?

Muckaway:
Can a workshop manager have their competency questioned by a TC like a TM can?

I’d doubt that verbatim they can. But it begs the question…if the workshop doing the inspections is missing so much when it comes to MOT time, how good are the inspections. I’d imagine you’d get the …we’re not happy with the maintainance regime. Which, in a roundabout way eliminates the duff workshop?

The sister artic had a water leak last week and coolant was dripping in to cab. The temporary solution because workshop were busy was to ask the driver not to use his demister. Thankfully, driver has many years service and told them where to go. This wagon was one of the other failures strangely…

Muckaway:
The sister artic had a water leak last week and coolant was dripping in to cab. The temporary solution because workshop were busy was to ask the driver not to use his demister. Thankfully, driver has many years service and told them where to go. This wagon was one of the other failures strangely…

Think you are answering your question about MOT test being too hard. Sounds like maintenance issues in your place. :frowning:

Don’t know about HGV tests but car MOT have been altered recentley.
Only know because I was told that electric tow connectors (for caravans etc) are now included.
Strangely only the single type multi connectors :confused:

I think that sometimes the testers decide to find something that they will fail it on if they so want to.

We had to extend the side rails on our old 6 wheeler last year, it had always been the same and there was such a miniscule gap by the crane leg that it was plain daft. The dealer who presented it and the bloke who looks after our trailer reckoned that others were passing with bigger gaps. It was an old nail of a motor and they just decided to fail it.

Muckaway:

cieranc:

Perhaps not, but as you well know it’s the TM, or more to the point the licence holder, who carries the can because it’s up to him to ensure that the maintenance is up to scratch. Put simply, if your fitters aren’t doing their job, the drivers sooner or later won’t be either 'cos you won’t have an O-licence.

Muckaway:

I’ve never heard of that happening. The TC can bollock/punish the TM for not having the trucks properly maintained, but I don’t think they can do anything to the garage. If they were that bad, perhaps VOSA could report them to trading standards, but I believe it’s all the haulage companies problem, not the garages.

Worst that’ll happen to the garage is they’ll lose the custom.

Is it still VOSA staff who carry out MOT testing at these new Authorised Test Facilities, or is it like a car MOT garage now where its a member of their staff who do the testing?

We really shouldn’t be getting failures; A lorry is taken off the road for about 10 days in preparation for it’s mot. I doubt many companies allow this much time?

cieranc:

Muckaway:

I’ve never heard of that happening. The TC can bollock/punish the TM for not having the trucks properly maintained, but I don’t think they can do anything to the garage. If they were that bad, perhaps VOSA could report them to trading standards, but I believe it’s all the haulage companies problem, not the garages.

Worst that’ll happen to the garage is they’ll lose the custom.

Or the company shut the workshops and use an outside contractor.