Incorrect tacho

We currently have a 61 plate Scania with a stoneridge tacho on hire and had the "pleasure"of using it on my Monday nightshift, My Tuesday shift starts at 4:30pm so I needed to be done at 5:30am to get my 11 off. I was finished for 5:45am I ejected my card at 5:43am and simply told the office I would start my next shift at 4:45pm to get my 11 off, not a problem, but when I put my card in at the start of my shift to do a manual entry it said the end of my shift was 5:47am. So it’s 4 minutes out from the displayed time, I’ve spoke with the driver that has it tonight and he did a print out of his shift and confirmed this. Now it’s got me down as only having a 10:57 rest, I just wondered if this was a common thing with these tachos as I’ve never used Stoneridge ones before. Also would you count it as a reduced or fill out a defect for it and keep it with you ( only really needed if you reduce more during the week) ■■

By working past 05:30 you reduced your daily rest regardless of any tachograph issues you had or the actual length of your daily rest.

Not used a stoneridge for a long time but would the 4 extra minutes be accountable for time difference of you pressing eject and the time the card actually ejected

kevin0410:
By working past 05:30 you reduced your daily rest regardless of any tachograph issues you had or the actual length of your daily rest.

I think you’re confused, my Monday nightsift wasn’t anywhere near 13 hours and because I finished at 5:45am I told the office I would start at 4:45pm as this would give me 11 hours rest so not a reduced

Whirlwind:
Not used a stoneridge for a long time but would the 4 extra minutes be accountable for time difference of you pressing eject and the time the card actually ejected

No, the card ejected straight away and was still on the same time as when I pressed eject :question:

Whirlwind:

Also I asked the driver tonight to note exactly the time he put it on break. He said it was 10:15pm but when he did a print out it stated his break had started at 10:19pm.

1630 to 0545 is 13 hrs 15 mins , you need 11 hrs rest in a 24 hr period to avoid a reduced rest . I.e you needed 11 hrs by 1630 Tuesday

Darb:

kevin0410:

I think you’re confused, my Monday nightsift wasn’t anywhere near 13 hours and because I finished at 5:45am I told the office I would start at 4:45pm as this would give me 11 hours rest so not a reduced

Whirlwind:

No, the card ejected straight away and was still on the same time as when I pressed eject :question:

You started at 1630 and finished at 0545, therefore you’d worked MORE than 13hrs, therefore you’d reduced your daily rest period, no matter how long you had off.

Now, personally, if I’m going home, I like to have NO LESS than 10hrs off, pref 11 or more, so can’t knock you for that, but don’t worry about not having 11hrs rest recorded because it’s a reducer anyway.

I can’t possibly see how a tacho could be recording and printing times different to it’s own display though, but if it is, then it’s ■■■■■■ and wants replacing, but I don’t see how it possibly can - not by 4 minutes anyway, 30 minute increments could be you looking at ‘local time’ and not ‘utc’ which is what all tacho’s report in, but there is no timezone that’s 4 minutes different, they’re in 1/2 hr increments.

That was my TUESDAY start time, not Monday, my Monday Shift started at 6:30pm so my shift was actually 11:15, sorry if this wasn’t clear.

MONDAY

6:30pm …5:45am. 11:15hrs

TUESDAY

4:30pm

^^^^ this 4:30 start was changed to 4:45 so I would get 11 off and not reduce

waynedl:
I can’t possibly see how a tacho could be recording and printing times different to it’s own display though, but if it is, then it’s [zb] and wants replacing, but I don’t see how it possibly can - not by 4 minutes anyway, 30 minute increments could be you looking at ‘local time’ and not ‘utc’ which is what all tacho’s report in, but there is no timezone that’s 4 minutes different, they’re in 1/2 hr increments.

I understand all this and this is what I was trying to explain the the office in a call last night but I don’t think they got it, but it is defiantly printing and downloading on cards a difference of 4 minutes

Darb:
MONDAY

6:30pm …5:45am. 11:15hrs

TUESDAY

4:30pm

^^^^ this 4:30 start was changed to 4:45 so I would get 11 off and not reduce

Gotcha… You can see how it was mis-understood though right?

Darb:
My Tuesday shift starts at 4:30pm so I needed to be done at 5:30am to get my 11 off. I was finished for 5:45am

My bad though. Ok, can understand your frustration now. BUT, still don’t possibly see how the tacho can record 4 minutes out from it’s displayed time.

The displayed time is what is known as ‘local time’, whereas the tacho records in UTC. ‘local time’ is your current timezone, we are in British Summer Time (BST) which is UTC+1 - so the display MAY show 1hr ahead of UTC - ie currently showing 06:05 but UTC and tacho recording would be 05:05.
There is no timezone that’s UTC + 4 mins, so either the tacho is broken, you’re looking at a clock that isn’t on the tacho itself, or you’ve just screwed up (we’ve all done that.

Darb:

waynedl:
I can’t possibly see how a tacho could be recording and printing times different to it’s own display though, but if it is, then it’s [zb] and wants replacing, but I don’t see how it possibly can - not by 4 minutes anyway, 30 minute increments could be you looking at ‘local time’ and not ‘utc’ which is what all tacho’s report in, but there is no timezone that’s 4 minutes different, they’re in 1/2 hr increments.

I understand all this and this is what I was trying to explain the the office in a call last night but I don’t think they got it, but it is defiantly printing and downloading on cards a difference of 4 minutes

You’re definitely looking at the tacho clock and not some other clock in the truck? Most are set off the tacho clock, but not all.

waynedl:
Gotcha… You can see how it was mis-understood though right?

Yeah, I suppose there could be two ways of reading it, my way and the wrong way :grimacing: :grimacing:

waynedl:
You’re definitely looking at the tacho clock and not some other clock in the truck? Most are set off the tacho clock, but not all.

Yes, our trainer was in the office when I got back so I explained it to him, we went and looked at it with his card and he confirmed its recording 4 minutes different to the display time so he’s going to contact the hire company and suggest a calibration

We currently have a 61 plate Scania with a stoneridge tacho

Gallon of diesel, box of matches. Both problems sorted in 1 go :smiley:

I had a stoneridge in my 13 plate DAF. Best tacho I’ve ever had, clear display, no sitting about waiting for it to wake up, counted down rather than up, and even alerted me to how long of a rest period I needed to have (ok, that was a bit of overkill, but better to be safe than sorry I guess)