Inconsiderate or not

Normally I don’t bother stopping at Truckstops or MSA’s. Mainly because of the tossers who when they get up in a morning the first thing they do is switch on the engine. They then leave it running for 15 - 20 minutes until they leave, not giving a dam that other drivers are still asleep nearby. :imp: :imp:

Well last night I thought I’d chance, thinking Friday night would be quiet.
Yea you guessed it I was wrong. I was woke up at 4o’clock by some ■■■■ reving his engine, he finally left at 4;20, if i’d have known he would be that long I’d have got dressed and turned his engine off for him. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

When I got up I turned engine on tickover, tacho in, 2mins air built up, lights checked, engine off. Loo, kettle on flasked filled took me 20 mins. I couldn’t resist walking 3 trucks down and asking the driver who was parked between 2 sleepers if there was a prob with his lorry as he’d been running his engine since before I got up," just warming it up he said"," ■■■■■■■ I said and walked away.

So rant over are you a ■■■■, or do you try to leave as quitely as possible.■■?

Never been able to understand idling engines myself. Over here it’s still considered normal to leave engines running all the time at high idle, 900 rpm or so. Drivers pull up, get out, go for whatever with their motors still roaring, and they leave them running for heat in the winter and aircon in the summer.

I have idled mine one night since I got here, when the night heater froze up and it hit -48. I’d have frozen to death if I hadn’t.

Then again, more and more places are making it illegal so it is improving. In summer, you don’t lose your fuel bonus unless your total engine time exceeds 15%, in winter 25%, but my idle time is always below 2% because I can’t abide idling engines.

I was amazed one morning when a driver freewheeled away from the parked trucks before starting his engine…

That’s what I call considerate — a bulk tipper to boot :open_mouth:

As quiet as possible . Never leave it running . If i can i,ll get the speed up and then switch off and freewheel to a halt if i,m going in between overnighters in the services .

These threads make me laugh. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. WHY THE [ZB] do you do nights out if you can’t tolerate noise? :unamused: If it bothers you that much go and pay to sleep in a Travel Lodge.

For the record I leaving the truck idling for 10 minutes or so before I leave and if anyone has a problem with that they can [zb] right off. The same message applies to people who park near me when I’ve got a reefer on and say “I hope you’re going to turn that off”.

Accept the fact that there are going to be annoying noises from time to time or quit doing the nights out. It’s as simple as that. :unamused:

agree with rob on this one, its part and parcel of the job

Rob K:
These threads make me laugh. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. WHY THE [ZB] do you do nights out if you can’t tolerate noise? :unamused: If it bothers you that much go and pay to sleep in a Travel Lodge.

Which is why I said at the beginning I don’t normally use truck stops because of inconsiderate ■■■■■■■■

Rob K:
For the record I leaving the truck idling for 10 minutes or so before I leave and if anyone has a problem with that they can [zb] right off.

you obviously voted as an inconsiderate newark then. Don’t park near me cos I will say somat :smiling_imp:

Rob K:
The same message applies to people who park near me when I’ve got a reefer on and say “I hope you’re going to turn that off”.

Reefer noise I can accept, they got a job to do. Its needless inconsiderate noise that anoys me :smiley:

David5l:

Rob K:

Which is why I said at the beginning I don’t normally use truck stops because of inconsiderate [zb]

But YOU ARE the inconsiderate one by expecting everyone to creep around like mice because you can’t sleep through normal noise.

I think you’d be better packing up and getting a 9-5 job. :bulb:

Rob K:

David5l:

Rob K:

Which is why I said at the beginning I don’t normally use truck stops because of inconsiderate [zb]

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

But YOU ARE the inconsiderate one by expecting everyone to creep around like mice because you can’t sleep through normal noise.

didn’t ask anyone to creep around like a mouse. think you need to read what i said again, All I ask is that you dont leave your engine running needlessly, that aint me being inconsiderate.

Obviously you also don’t realise that modern engines don’t need to be warmed up. Infact the vehicle should be moved and driven gently until it is.
You know driven with consideration.
Perhaps you’d be better off in a job that doesnt require you to be considerate to an expensive engine, or burn costly diesel needlesly. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

David5l:

Rob K:

David5l:

Rob K:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

didn’t ask anyone to creep around like a mouse. think you need to read what i said again, All I ask is that you dont leave your engine running needlessly, that aint me being inconsiderate.

Obviously you also don’t realise that modern engines don’t need to be warmed up. Infact the vehicle should be moved and driven gently until it is.
You know driven with consideration.
Perhaps you’d be better off in a job that doesnt require you to be considerate to an expensive engine, or burn costly diesel needlesly. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

How exactly does one “drive gently” on the M1/A1 for example, after leaving an MSA? Hmmm. Yep, that’s why people warm them up beforehand! :bulb:

Rob K:
How exactly does one “drive gently” on the M1/A1 for example, after leaving an MSA? Hmmm. Yep, that’s why people warm them up beforehand! :bulb:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

SWA’s they spread everywhere, free lesson for you here.
Just keep the revs down son, you know keep the needle in the green. You dont have thrash the backside off it just cos you don’t own it

David5l:

Rob K:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Just keep the revs down son, you know keep the needle in the green. You dont have thrash the backside off it just cos you don’t own it

:unamused: Well I prefer to warm them up. Engines last longer when they’re at operating temp before driving them. I bet your Twingo belches out blue smoke every time you fire it up and set off - that’s because you’ll have [zb] it with driving about with the engine cold.

Rob K:

David5l:

Rob K:

:unamused: Well I prefer to warm them up. Engines last longer when they’re at operating temp before driving them. I bet your Twingo belches out blue smoke every time you fire it up and set off - that’s because you’ll have [zb] it with driving about with the engine cold.

modern engines warm up quicker and last longer if not allowed to idle cold.
My twingo runs well thanks, and surprisingly, even though its the oldest in the fleet and does the most milage in a week doesnt have bits falling off or rattling, perhaps thats because you haven’t driven it :bulb: :bulb:

Whilst on the subject of noise.

Anyone stayed at Plymouth lorry park (bus station), stayed on Monday night never again, the place is full of tramps drinking cider and shouting all night.

And they have the cheek to charge 6 quid

David5l:
modern engines warm up quicker and last longer if not allowed to idle cold.

Source? Another one for the urban myths thread me finks.

brit_mark:
Anyone stayed at Plymouth lorry park (bus station), stayed on Monday night never again, the place is full of tramps drinking cider and shouting all night.

You really shouldn’t drink and drive Mark. :laughing: :laughing:

the source for that is simple.

Look in almost any vehicle handbook.

Even the handbooks for the Mini dating from the 60’s state it!

Basic principle is that if you leave an engine at idle when cold, the oil pump is only running at low revs so the oil pressure is low, which starves the engine of lubrication until the oil warms up and becomes thinner, thus needing less pumping effort.
Of course you could just bring the revs up with the throttle to boost the oil pressure until the engine has warmed, but that is just as waste of fuel because if you’re going to do that you may as well just drive the thing and warm it up as you go using fuel that you would use anyway.

So yes you;re right an urban myth busted, you ‘dont’ need to warm an engine up before you drive. :wink:

Rob K:

For the record I leaving the truck idling for 10 minutes or so before I leave and if anyone has a problem with that they can [zb] right off. The same message applies to people who park near me when I’ve got a reefer on and say “I hope you’re going to turn that off”.

Accept the fact that there are going to be annoying noises from time to time or quit doing the nights out. It’s as simple as that. :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Dont mince your words Rob.
I stopped at Cherwell valley a couple of weeks ago,it was absolutely packed with wagons.I got up around 7 ish and the park was virtually empty.I did’nt hear a thing and i sleep with the windows and sunroof open.I dont like people being inconsiderate,but on the other hand if your gonna sleep in your cab all week you gotta be able to put up with noise,and if you work hard enough you’ll sleep :wink:

I’ll start the engine 5 -10 minutes before I leave

dennisw1:
Look in almost any vehicle handbook.

:unamused: I’ve never seen it mentioned in any hand book. I can’t remember which truck make it was but at least of the hand books says to allow the truck to idle at low revs before moving off and then keep the revs low until the engine warms up.

Whatever. Back to the argument, I don’t see there’s anything wrong with letting the engine tick over for 5 or 10 minutes before setting off. If the bloke at the side of you doesn’t like it, tough [zb]. Get a job in a different industry.

bikemonkey:

Rob K:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Dont mince your words Rob.
I stopped at Cherwell valley a couple of weeks ago,it was absolutely packed with wagons.I got up around 7 ish and the park was virtually empty.I did’nt hear a thing and i sleep with the windows and sunroof open.I dont like people being inconsiderate,but on the other hand if your gonna sleep in your cab all week you gotta be able to put up with noise,and if you work hard enough you’ll sleep :wink:

I’ll start the engine 5 -10 minutes before I leave

Same here. Never had ANY noise prevent me from sleeping. In fact the noise of an idling engine helps me sleep, if anything. Certainly where reefer trailer are concerned anyway.

I think Dave’s in the wrong job. :confused: