Incab cameras royal maik

Jimmy McNulty:

Macski:
Slightly off topic but why would any company fit driver facing cameras, what advantage to the company is there?

I would imagine there is an insurance benefit.

I would imagine that a company with a mistrust of drivers would feel a benefit.

In distribution type fleets which have a different driver in the cab every shift and everything inside the truck gets damaged or stolen I would imagine their is a benefit.

I hate them, I don’t want a camera in my face but we are our own worst enemy when we are smashing the tacho screen or stealing the 12v socket so we have a spare if we are getting into another one where the 12v socket has been stolen.

As an agency driver I don’t really recognise this. OK it happens, I lost my power pack and no one handed it in, but it happens in offices too, well they don’t smash techo screens in offices but you know what I mean.

Macski:
Slightly off topic but why would any company fit driver facing cameras, what advantage to the company is there?

Given the rise in the number of drivers watching Netflix, scrolling through Instagram and Tiktok as they’re driving down the road I can see why. You might not notice it on days but on nights they stick out like a sore thumb and they’re becoming ever more commonplace. So bad that on the A1 on Monday night I went bombing past four lorries crawling along at 40 long after we’d left some roadworks. All four of them watching somethin on their phones, I’m guessing the front one had forgot to reset his limiter and the following three had adaptive cruise control on. One of them work up out of his trance when I went flying past and pulled out behind me.

Usual one is to put your phone on the speedo binnacle so the police can’t see you…only problem is that the light on your face constantly changing brightness kinds of gives the game away.

Conor:

Macski:

Given the rise in the number of drivers watching Netflix, scrolling through Instagram and Tiktok as they’re driving down the road I can see why. You might not notice it on days but on nights they stick out like a sore thumb and they’re becoming ever more commonplace. So bad that on the A1 on Monday night I went bombing past four lorries crawling along at 40 long after we’d left some roadworks. All four of them watching somethin on their phones, I’m guessing the front one had forgot to reset his limiter and the following three had adaptive cruise control on. One of them work up out of his trance when I went flying past and pulled out behind me.

Usual one is to put your phone on the speedo binnacle so the police can’t see you…only problem is that the light on your face constantly changing brightness kinds of gives the game away.

Going through Birmingham on the M6 on Saturday, an ■■■■■■ style van overtook me in lane 2, then suddenly decelerated to above 40mph. I came up in lane 1 to see the driver holding his phone and having a right old laugh with his passenger and the guy making a video call. He was completely oblivious of the 45’, red double decker to his left. I gave him a little toot to make him aware. After ending his call, he decided drifting in to lane 1 then out again was suitable retort for being disturbed during his convo before shooting off swerving in and out of traffic and disappearing in to the distance.
And no, my cab didn’t have a driver facing camera.

So IF it is as widespread as suggested, surely the Police must also be aware ?
So why are there no Traffic Diviision patrols anymore…(generally speaking,) which would be a proven active deterrent and source of catching them, …Instead of the ‘Baby and bathwater’ policy and action practiced by firms (as an excuse) of fitting cameras, …where drivers like you and me who would not dream of doing that sort of thing, have to suffer the intrusion and indignity of having to put up with these ■■■■ things. :imp:

Mind you,.the Police are well aware of overnight truck crime also, but apart from a couple of self publicised ‘gesture’ campaigns, continue to conveniently ignore it,.and do the far end of f/all about it. :imp: :unamused:

We all know people on there phones etc is widespread.
Driving a truck you can’t help but see almost every other car driver on there phone.

Police won’t bother there short staffed have far more important things to deal with .
Which is fair enough.
But they can’t see the bigger.picture there short staffed underfunded.
So if they had a crackdown on mobile phone use imagine how much money thed make.
Then the money can be used to fill the funding gap etc

edd1974:
Police won’t bother there short staffed have far more important things to deal with .
Which is fair enough.

I was once pinged & pulled on ANPR as having no insurance (it was an administrative error that was cleared up during the stop btw) and when the copper was talking to my TM on the phone, the TM apologised for detracting him from his ‘real’, more important work. The traffic officer replied that this WAS his real work. A line that I’ve always taken.
Imo if a rozzer pulls a numpty on his mobile, he’s preventing a scenario where he’s scraping said numpties brain matter off the central reservation crash barriers and another lengthy delay to my journey. Just a thought… :imp:

Macski:

Jimmy McNulty:

Macski:

I would imagine there is an insurance benefit.

I would imagine that a company with a mistrust of drivers would feel a benefit.

In distribution type fleets which have a different driver in the cab every shift and everything inside the truck gets damaged or stolen I would imagine their is a benefit.

I hate them, I don’t want a camera in my face but we are our own worst enemy when we are smashing the tacho screen or stealing the 12v socket so we have a spare if we are getting into another one where the 12v socket has been stolen.

As an agency driver I don’t really recognise this. OK it happens, I lost my power pack and no one handed it in, but it happens in offices too, well they don’t smash techo screens in offices but you know what I mean.

When I was working at Brakes, most of the people being “sacked on the spot” - were being filmed using their mobiles at the wheel on the cameras, which managers liked to view live, having nothing better to do than look pretty and go out for yet another ■■■ all the time…

No hiding place inside or outside lorries soon! ENVA rolls out 4G telematics camera system for Scottish fleet. The new Durite Live cameras will be rolled out on its 130-strong HGV fleet in Scotland. The new cameras enable fleet managers to live stream footage from any camera fitted to its truck fleet in real time.
commercialfleet.org/news/tr … tish-fleet
They’ll be catching up with the Tesla Semi’s 26 camera telematic system before much longer. :open_mouth:

I read the article.It makes me laugh the way they say they are only doing it to offer the drivers more protection,yeah right.

Sploom:
I read the article.It makes me laugh the way they say they are only doing it to offer the drivers more protection,yeah right.

It makes me laugh more when some drivers actually believe it …AND repeat it whilst telling the rest of us of the ‘‘benefits’’.
Brainwashed yes men. :imp:

Yes,plenty of those