Incab cameras,one last question

Zac_A:

Sploom:

Is £200 a month a large sum to you? Assuming an average of 20 working days per month, I would value my privacy and dignity at more than £10 a day.

I’d put driver facing cameras in the same grouping as: enhanced DBS requirement, micro-management, max-hours-minimal-rest, phone calls on rest days, holidays cancelled because it’s now inconvenient for the company, unwanted OT forced upon you, and all the other things that say “you’re not a person to us, you’re just a resource to be timetabled” .

And I’d put myself in the grouping of: “If you want me to accept this, my wage has just exceeded that of the boss of the company”.

Like so many things in this industry, DFCs are dehumanizing, and I would sooner leave than consider it as even remotely acceptable.

Indeed, and you know that the usual suspects would include the bribe as well as night out money (probably parking and toll reimbursements too :unamused: ) in their gross pay.

the maoster:

Harry Monk:

the maoster:
As for having a price you are correct to a certain extent; after much haggling I’m sure I could agree on a price requirement for me to perform oral ■■■ on a homeless man. The amount would probably be in the ball park of what a transport company would need to pay me to be monitored thus.

As a liveaboard narrowboater, I’m technically homeless. Could you PM me with a few more details of this offer? :wink:

Everything is open to negotiation H. For instance we need to establish whether or not surgical wipes will be employed either before or after the heinous deed, whether or not we’d be dressed as our favourite superheroes, whether or not you’d be willing to shout “dirty boy” every five seconds, whether there’d be basic foodstuffs involved? So many variables I’m afraid.

Part of the negotiations will have to include whether Robroy tags along with the Maoster to shout instructions as to the correct way of doing things! :open_mouth: :blush: :unamused: :wink:

Zac_A:

Sploom:
And if it was an extra £100 a month for example.Or would it have to be an extra £200?
How much would it have to be?
We all have a price…

Is £200 a month a large sum to you? Assuming an average of 20 working days per month, I would value my privacy and dignity at more than £10 a day.

I’d put driver facing cameras in the same grouping as: enhanced DBS requirement, micro-management, max-hours-minimal-rest, phone calls on rest days, holidays cancelled because it’s now inconvenient for the company, unwanted OT forced upon you, and all the other things that say “you’re not a person to us, you’re just a resource to be timetabled” .

And I’d put myself in the grouping of: “If you want me to accept this, my wage has just exceeded that of the boss of the company”.

Like so many things in this industry, DFCs are dehumanizing, and I would sooner leave than consider it as even remotely acceptable.[/quot
e]
Yes,£200 is a lot if you add up all your outgoings,then how much is left at the end of themonth

Sploom:

Zac_A:

Like so many things in this industry, DFCs are dehumanizing, and I would sooner leave than consider it as even remotely acceptable.

Yes, £200 is a lot if you add up all your outgoings,then how much is left at the end of the month

Fixed your broken quote code for you.

At the risk of awakening the “wouldn’t get out of bed for that” crew, even at a mediocre wage of £12.50ph, £200 would be two days of OT at flat rate.
Assuming time and a half (as it should be) that drops to 10.6 hours of OT

Lets factor in 30% for tax and NI deductions (round figure to keep it simple) that now becomes roughly 21 hours at flat rate or 14 hours at time and a half.

I’d price my privacy and dignity higher than, what could be for a truck driver, just one long shift or two shorter shifts, or for those who make claims about the size of their wad (oo-er missus!) far fewer hours than that.

It’s your call how low you go, but I think you’re in a minority.

Sploom:
If you use the self checkout or so many other things we do,we are being filmed all the time.
Is this an issue for you?

But that’s not really relevant, is it? At a self checkout you are in a public place, if you are driving a truck you should have a reasonable expectation that you are in a private place.

Our lot fitted driver facing cameras in December, every single one was broken within a week. I got a bollocking from the TM for not defecting mine and I said “Show me where it says ‘surveillance camera’ in the defect book”.

Harry Monk:
if you are driving a truck you should have a reasonable expectation that you are in a private place.

The smoking rules don`t accept that a company work vehicle is in any way a private place, do they?

Zac_A:
It’s your call how low you go, but I think you’re in a minority.

For what its worth I couldnt care less whether or not a driver facing camera is used whilst I am driving.
I don`t accept that makes me in any way “lower”.

Minority? Majority?
Those who object will…object! Those who dont care will (unless they are gobby!) say nowt. The www isnt full of people saying: “Hmm, alright I s`pose”. :smiley:

Ok,if it was an extra £500 a month,would that be enough?

Sploom:
Ok,if it was an extra £500 a month,would that be enough?

Ffs mate. :unamused:
What exactly are you trying to prove here exactly?
You sound like 2 of my little granddaughters,.they play these ‘How far would you go/what would you do’’ type of games also (but they are 8 and 6 years old:) …
‘‘Which would you rather do eat a worm or stick a pin in your hand’’
‘‘How much would you give me to hold a spider’’

Are you just going to keep increasing the hypothetical amount of cash until someone caves in,.so you can prove your point ? :unamused:
Grow up man ffs.

For me on this subject I’d find another job, even if it paid less. I put up with having my hours analysed, my driving style analysed, being permanently tracked, having cameras all round the outside of the vehicle - all of which can be used to help build any case against me along with other factors such as witnesses and phone data etc - so there’s enough to proverbially nail me into a coffin without then need to be monitored as though I’m in some 1984 dystopia.

Yes,fair enough

toonsy:
For me on this subject I’d find another job, even if it paid less. I put up with having my hours analysed, my driving style analysed, being permanently tracked, having cameras all round the outside of the vehicle - all of which can be used to help build any case against me along with other factors such as witnesses and phone data etc - so there’s enough to proverbially nail me into a coffin without then need to be monitored as though I’m in some 1984 dystopia.

but you still get your T points dont ya… :wink:

I’ve always said I won’t drive a truck with a driver facing camera .
If you want its a line in the sand I won’t cross .
I’m well paid were I work and get on well with the office bods and the Boss man . He knows my position and he knows I’m serious .

There is no amount of money that will make me change my mind on this . Its about being trusted to do the job and get on with it .
Any time I have felt that I’m not wanted at a job I work the week out get the truck home and clean out my stuff , clean the truck for the next driver , give back the fuel cards , sort out my paperwork and wish them all the best , I’ve done it twice so far and won’t hesitate to do it again if needs be .Dignity and self respect can’t be bought or bartered for .

OK,I got the answer to my question,but I must admit,I cant believe drivers would refuse big pay rises in order to have a camera.if that was the situation.Well,I do believe it but Im just astonished.Dont get me wrong,I dont like them or want them but when you consider other proffesions what people have to do to like police or firefighters servicemen and so on who have to risk their lives.In my case,there are companies local without cameras,same money but that means pushing heavy cages or pallets,nearly hurting my back sometimes.Or heavy curtains which are always jammed and I end up hurting my back trying to free them.

Sploom:
OK,I got the answer to my question,but I must admit,I cant believe drivers would refuse big pay rises in order to have a camera.if that was the situation.Well,I do believe it but Im just astonished.Dont get me wrong,I dont like them or want them but when you consider other proffesions what people have to do to like police or firefighters servicemen and so on who have to risk their lives.In my case,there are companies local without cameras,same money but that means pushing heavy cages or pallets,nearly hurting my back sometimes.Or heavy curtains which are always jammed and I end up hurting my back trying to free them.

So if you are so keen to comply to defecting cameras that have been blocked out,.as your other thread, why not defect the curtains and refuse to take it out.

And apart from that, no firm is going to offer you a 'big pay raise ‘’ to accept their ■■■■ cameras, it dies not work like that, it is just plain ridiculous, you either accept them or you don’t, and if you do you decide yourself how you are going to deal with them,.which gets back to your other thread again.where non approving drivers are blocking them out, and drivers like you are making a fuss and a big thing of it…so it’s gone full circle

The curtains arent on the check list.I dont know if its a legal requirement for the curtains ti be there like it is a legal requirement for the night heater to be working.But if there is an incident and they cant view the footage,Ive already signed to say the cameras are clean and working,so I could be in trouble

How do the camera’s work in our trucks? If it only records while you are driving, I don’t really have a problem with it. Much like dashcams it can save your arse (or prove you were doing something stupid) at the time of an incident. However, if it’s constantly recording there must be some privacy issues. I mean I should be able to wash my balls in privacy after a long day unless they really want to see my hairy arse!

My truck has a camera in it, but the driver who had it before me has covered it with black tape. It’s not mentioned on the defect sheet and as far as I’m concerned “I thought it was something to do with the tracking system”

The bus company i used to work for introduced driver facing camera monitoring system following a bunch of fatalities on the A47 (one of our buses T-boned a fully loaded artic at 50mph). Rumour was the driver fell asleep, no skid marks, just straight into the side of the trailer at 50mph but obviously we never heard the official outcome of the investigation. I think the camera system was called “Guardian” or something like that and it would basically detect “microsleeps” when the driver nodded off for a split second, the driver’s seat and steering wheel would vibrate and it would trigger an alert system which emailed managers and supervisors in the region. You’d be surprised how many drivers actually trigged this with underlying medical conditions they were not aware of… Obviously a few abused the system, closed their eyes a few times and got signed off sick on 80% pay for a few weeks/months which the doctors did their investigations :smiley: I’m all for a system like this, once you’ve seen it in action and witnessed drivers nodding off and being completely unaware of it makes you realise how easily this can happen.

Robroy,it was just a hypothetical question just like your grandaughters might ask you how much you would eat a spider for.I know,in reality,the firms with cameras arent offering big bonuses in return.
Yes,the discusion has ran its course,I realise.

Jibber:
Obviously a few abused the system, closed their eyes a few times and got signed off sick on 80% pay for a few weeks/months which the doctors did their investigations

Im in! Where do I sign? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Jibber,I think they get cheaper insurance if they have the cameras fitted.And given that transport is such a cut throat business,its not surprising they will try and cut insurance costs.I didnt like the camera to start with but I got used to it now.

m.a.n rules:

toonsy:

but you still get your T points dont ya… :wink:

T points?