In theory the maximum is

Am I right in thinking that the max shift time you could do in a week is 86 hours.

Now with at least 26 hours POA then this should be possible.

Day 1: 15 hours, reduced rest
Day 2: 15 hours, reduced rest
Day 3: 15 hours, reduced rest
Day 4: 13 hours, normal rest
Day 5: 13 hours, normal rest
Day 6: 15 hours, start weekly rest (so no reduced rest?)

Or have I messed up somewhere.

looks good to me

Sockpuppet:
Am I right in thinking that the max shift time you could do in a week is 86 hours.

Now with at least 26 hours POA then this should be possible.

Day 1: 15 hours, reduced rest
Day 2: 15 hours, reduced rest
Day 3: 15 hours, reduced rest
Day 4: 13 hours, normal rest
Day 5: 13 hours, normal rest
Day 6: 15 hours, start weekly rest (so no reduced rest?)

Or have I messed up somewhere.

You’ve missed the fact there are only 24 hours in the day. Day 6 you appear to have 26 hours. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

You are coming at it from the wrong end. Don’t do the calculations based on the maximum work you can do in a 24 hour period, base it on the minimum amount of rest you require in the same period. You used 3 reduced daily rests over the first 3 days of your scenario but by working more than 13 hours on day 6 you have again reduced your daily rest. You can only reduce 3 times between weekly rest periods and under the scenario you outline you require 11 hours daily rest on day 6 and therefore can only work 13 hours on that day.

The fact you are starting a weekly rest period doesn’t alter the amount of rest required in each 24 hour period. You still must take a daily rest, which is then extended into a weekly rest. If you started at 06:00 on Day 6 you need to have taken 11 hours continuous rest by 06:00 on Day 7, you have used all you reduced rests on the first 3 days of your working week so a 9 is no longer an option. You could of course work a split rest where you take a period of 3 hours rest during the shift and 9 at the end but that would mean you are only working 12 hours in the 24 hour period anyway.

Bugger! - thanks Coffee, I missed that one :blush:

Dammit nearly.

Not that I want to do those hours it was just theoretical exercise!

will this still apply in a leap year or when there are two tusedays in race week