In the nick of time ...maybe!

Hi

I am another newbie here. Hi everyone.
I have fallen for the ‘too good to be true’ scam of the big LGV training outfits.

I just paid £199 deposit to STERLING in Basildon for their all in C - C+E - CPC and ADR course.

Reading the posts here ( Just came accross the forum today) I am realising that I have made a classic error.

If I cancel I will lose my deposit - I am thinking that it maybe cheaper in the long run.

Any advice on other training outfits in south Essex would be gratefully recieved.

Matty :frowning:

The company I used was excellent, it was Chelmer Valley Driver Training. However they seem to have disappeared although his unit and trailer are still parked at the same place now branded as truk skool :unamused:

If it’s the same people behind it (which I’m sure it is) you could do a whole lot worse.

Someone I know has just done his class 2 with Hyway one and was quite pleased with the outcome.

Qualitas also feature quite a bit around here but they are part of / same as Sterling.

Ring these various people up, have a chat and ask what you actually get for your money. Whoever you use it’s going to be a fair slice of cash, a cheapish course might not be so cheap if you need a couple of retests. A slightly more expensive course might give you a lot more training.

Some companies will offer 1:1 training some 2:1 I trained most of the time 2:1 and found it better than the 1:1 sessions. Everyone has there own opinion on it, but don’t neccessarily rule it out thinking it to be a lesser choice. You can learn a lot from watching another trainee,

I seem to recall my instructor thinking that Crowlands were OK, but I don’t know of anyone who has trained with them.

I heard mixed reports on Stevand but I think they have disappeared now.

Welcome MattyGB :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857
ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote: “Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what I have to do to start with so I can tick off on paper?”

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:
Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:
Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training School. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
For some idea of cost try trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

welcome matty, i very nearly fell in that trap, i also still have pathway ringing me and talking like they know me and are my best mate, even though i have since passed class 1 & 2 with another training school, if you wanna ask me any more info feel free to mail me, but if this firm is not too far for you i would really recommend www.1stclasstrucking.co.uk they are based in enfield.

Cheers for the replys guys,

I have my theory test next week - have been practicing with CDrom etc. so not too worried about that.

As I am employed already I am not in any rush , but want to get lgv before EU dumps any more hurdles in the way.

I was thinking of hiring a 7.5T for a day to get some experience - would that make sense!!

I have emailed some companies requesting assesment drives which they say are free!!! so thanks again for the advice - I have a feeling I will get to know you quite well in the next couple of months!!! LOL

Cheers

Matty

Just got off the phone with a training company that was recommended by a local haulier - he put his sons through training with them. What a pleasure to speak to a bloke that has been training and driving for many many years and understands what is needed for driver training and the requiremnents of the job that they will be doing.

So once the Theory is out of the way this week I will book up my training

Thanks to this forum I have seen the error of my ways ( Stirling)

Matty :laughing:

Thanks for this thread…I came on here to post a thread about Sterling…my question was going to be how do they manage to put together such cheap packages!.. now I know

I have my theory on the 9th Oct and hope to take my Class C in late November.

I work full time shift work so getting a block of 4/5 days off is not too difficult. I have been looking at various local driving schools and I am peased to hear 1stClass being mentioned. I was chatting recently to a recently qualified driver and he learnt with IstClass. Though he said in his opinion that all Driving Schools are very much alike in quality and price he was pleased with IstClass, So thanks again!

The problem with Sterling - as with most big companies - is that they are out to make as much profit as possible with the minimum of input for the learners.
I used to work for 1st class and you do get value for money - providing you go direct to them and not via the likes of Pathway who will take their cut and cost you more in the long run.
Good luck with the training.

Hi Matty, i did my class 2 training with a company called Newcroft in Purfleet. Cost me about £750. I did hear that Crowlands in Romford are supposed to be good aswell. Good luck. Tom