In the battle of high vs low

Low will always win :smiley:

getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20921 … der_bridge

WTF was that driver on :unamused: :unamused: :exclamation: :exclamation:
In the last pic it looks like he’s tried to disguise the bridge height sign to boost his case when he’s called in for his ‘Pick your new post bag, bike and shorts up, yer back on a regular delivery round from now on’ interview :unamused: :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:
What a BLURT :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

surely you would remember you had a 16’ ft trailer on.

Methinks that female reporter’s boyfriend has been lying to her.

…it tried to go underneath a Guildford railway bridge that was almost two feet too low for it.

…it clearly says 16.2 feet high on the lorry, and on the bridge it says 15 feet.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

jessicas dad:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If everybody where the perfect person, then yeah. But the worlds full of humans that make errors!

The bull ■■■■ reporting is a bigger crime in my book

Stevie (never hit a bridge, but has abit of sympathy for those that have)

I’m sure the Royal Mail used to pay good money for HGV drivers, it’s a pittance nowadays I think, you get what you pay for…

Silver_Surfer:
I’m sure the Royal Mail used to pay good money for HGV drivers, it’s a pittance nowadays I think, you get what you pay for…

I can vouch for this as they have a large depot in Avonmouth, around the corner from where I work.

And as I understand they have a job and finish system of working which leads to incidents such as these, we are talking of a minority of drivers who race around all day saving themselves around half an hour, sadly the rest get tarred with the same brush.

Height detection equipment would help cut these incidents and then so would slowing down.

mike68:

Silver_Surfer:

I can vouch for this as they have a large depot in Avonmouth, around the corner from where I work.

And as I understand they have a job and finish system of working which leads to incidents such as these, we are talking of a minority of drivers who race around all day saving themselves around half an hour, sadly the rest get tarred with the same brush.

Height detection equipment would help cut these incidents and then so would slowing down.

What, like a triangular sign with red borders and numbers in the middle of it? And HEY, how about putting a sign in the cab that says the height of your trailer on it■■?

The Sarge:

mike68:

Silver_Surfer:

What, like a triangular sign with red borders and numbers in the middle of it? And HEY, how about putting a sign in the cab that says the height of your trailer on it■■?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Excellent Sarge

We aim to please :smiley:

if you look at the 2nd pic it shows that he cleared that overpass so i think he thought he could clear the bridge too… :sunglasses:

stevieboy308:

jessicas dad:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If everybody where the perfect person, then yeah. But the worlds full of humans that make errors!

there is no way im any where near a perfect driver in fact im pretty appaling at times, but do worry when i have a 16ft trailer on and it never leaves my mind.

The Sarge:

mike68:

Silver_Surfer:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: very good, but when you do 56 on a S\C things like signs tend to be overlooked.

Royal Mail cant make them trailers anymore idiot proof…

Then, when you neeed to work with this tall double decker, you just give it quick squirt of air from a dash-mounted control in the CF85 and hey presto it pops up to its full running height and the air goes smoothly over the high trailer. What’s more the top of the trailer has a sensor fitted to it which automatically detects what height the trailer is running at and that’s displayed in the cab in a special display… Before the driver decides to take an unscheduled detour under a low bridge! And to let him know he’s got a ‘BIG’ trailer the front bulkhead has been deliberately painted white… Simple but effective.

them tailers have white fronts to make them stand out plus the height in fairly big numbers in new and old money so i think this ones down to numpty driver this time

I work for Royal Mail, and we have had a briefing about that crash, the driver was a mechanic and it was going for service. From the picture we have seen approaching the bridge, the height limit sign is totally obscured by the trees before the bridge, i admit it was driver error, but if you don’t know the area and bridge height signs are covered in trees, what can you do?

Royal mail tells me all i need to know, they’re reputation proceeds them.

prdcb1:
I work for Royal Mail, and we have had a briefing about that crash, the driver was a mechanic and it was going for service. From the picture we have seen approaching the bridge, the height limit sign is totally obscured by the trees before the bridge, i admit it was driver error, but if you don’t know the area and bridge height signs are covered in trees, what can you do?

Well for a start you don’t go under a bridge if you don’t know the height of the bridge, thats what you do.

prdcb1:
…but if you don’t know the area and bridge height signs are covered in trees, what can you do?

I don’t know, it’s a puzzle.

Here’s a thought though, maybe you can pay attention to one of the other signs before you get to the bridge which aren’t covered by anything and leave you time to divert. That just might work. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Depending which way he approached the bridge he will have passed at least two of those signs and possibly all three of them.

To miss one sign may be regarded as a misfortune; to miss two or three looks like carelessness. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

prdcb1:

If in doubt stop or at least slow down !!

It looks like he hit that bridge at a fair speed to do that much damage. You as a Driver must have an idea of what is going on around you !