In My Day…….

Being the industries great, some say greatest, philosopher*, I said a selection of words constructed them into sentences to talk about the above line. vm.tiktok.com/ZMFpp15t9/

*insert usual ‘I’m actually a [zb]’ disclaimer here

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional. I refuse the latter.

Not bad, but no Troy Hawke :smiley:

I don’t think I’ve ever used the phrase ‘‘In my day’’, ok fair enough I’ve done a bit in the job, but I still don’t feel my age, (but often get reminded if I ask ‘‘Do you remember xyz’’ and get the answer from younger mates ‘We ain’t as old as you!’ which kinda brings you back down to earth.) :slight_smile:

My younger fit Mrs has always ‘‘kept me young’’ in my ways…(some may even say immature. :blush: :laughing: ,.) that, and the fact that in my head I’m still late 30s, stops me from coming across as a boring old ■■■■…I hope :smiley:
I can feel the rush of the queue on here to come on and contradict me on that. :laughing:

If I ever did tend to use the phrase ‘‘In my day’’, it would refer to my late teens, carefree,.fearing nobody, a bit unpredictable,.and ALWAYS out for a good time,.and simply not giving a ■■■■ about most stuff in life.

(Come to think it, after I’ve just said that it’s just kinda dawned on me like a lightbulb moment that I ain’t changed much since then. :laughing: :laughing:

I never say “In my day”, but at the relatively tender age of 43 I often find myself saying “back when I started…” then usually list the following:

Paper tachos
Twin splitter gearboxes
No cameras or any other surveillance
Paper maps, no sat navs
No (or very few) smart motorways
Fibreglass cabs where on occasion I could see the literal road through the gap where the steering column went through the floor
Ratchet trailer brakes

And that was only 2004 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In my day…?

MY time, is yet to COME!
youtube.com/watch?v=-jj-PaqFrBc

I’m still 21 in my head and part of reason I defend young drivers so often is a part of me thinks I still am one :smiley:

switchlogic:
I’m still 21 in my head and part of reason I defend young drivers so often is a part of me thinks I still am one :smiley:

Wot ?
A driver?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

When I see some of the guys I used to go to school with,.some of them were ‘old men’ 20.yeras ago,.although when I think back I never bothered with them when we were younger either, nothing in common. :unamused:

Some of the others I see today locally my age act behave and dress like ■■■■ old men,.and are about as exciting as a coach trip to Scunthorpe…in fact I bet that is their idea of a good holiday. :laughing:
I know it’s a case of getting the balance right between not acting and looking like ‘‘The oldest ■■■■■■■ in town’’ and carrying it off , but half of them lead the most ■■■■ boring life akin to being dead. …the other half actually look dead :laughing:

I’ve always looked upon age as a concept, ok we all get older, naturally, but it’s how you deal with it that is the secret of a happy full life, if you want to be old you’re old.
Who said ‘‘Better to burn out than to rust and rot away’’ think it was Neil Young,.and yeh he was ■■■■ right. :smiley:

youtu.be/-kALGhbTxdg

When I read the title of the thread, the Hovis theme popped into my head, along with the image of the kid on his bike.

As for feeling your age, I have a retired drinking buddy who is 73 years old, who recently turned around to me in the pub and said that in his head he feels like a 20 year old, but this is a guy who goes to the gym 6 days a week and 3-4 of those days he attends spin classes. Along with another buddy aged 72 who goes to the gym 7 days a week for 2hrs and also swims 60 lengths of the pool afterwards. Those two put me to shame

robroy:
Who said ‘‘Better to burn out than to rust and rot away’’ think it was Neil Young,.and yeh he was [zb] right.

I always thought it was “it’s better to burn out than fade away……

peirre:

robroy:
Who said ‘‘Better to burn out than to rust and rot away’’ think it was Neil Young,.and yeh he was [zb] right.

That was uttered by The Korgan in Highlander 1. One of the best movies of all time.

peirre:
When I read the title of the thread, the Hovis theme popped into my head, along with the image of the kid on his bike.

As for feeling your age, I have a retired drinking buddy who is 73 years old, who recently turned around to me in the pub and said that in his head he feels like a 20 year old, but this is a guy who goes to the gym 6 days a week and 3-4 of those days he attends spin classes. Along with another buddy aged 72 who goes to the gym 7 days a week for 2hrs and also swims 60 lengths of the pool afterwards. Those two put me to shame

robroy:

I think I picked it up on a tv documentary about the rock band ‘The Eagles’'.
Don Henley quoted it, talking about band member Joe Walsh I think, who is along the same lines of Keith Moon…(who actually did burn out during a very full lifestyle. :smiley:) and I’m nearly sure he credited it to the singer Neil.Young.
Anyhoo I’ve used it ever since…but never pretended it was mine. :smiley:

6 pints of cider without chucking up :blush:

I’m always amazed how young the old comedians were! Hancock died at 44 and looks a lot older than most 44 year olds today. When you were a kid your parents seemed so grown up and in control. Now as someone late 40s I feel less grown up and in control than my Dad seemed in his thirties. Unless like us they too were making it up as they went along! [emoji23] . Probably true that each generation will make thier own mistakes! Just live life, enjoy, and keep smiling. Good post Luke [emoji106]

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

spacemanZ10:
I’m always amazed how young the old comedians were! Hancock died at 44 and looks a lot older than most 44 year olds today. When you were a kid your parents seemed so grown up and in control. Now as someone late 40s I feel less grown up and in control than my Dad seemed in his thirties. Unless like us they too were making it up as they went along! [emoji23] . Probably true that each generation will make thier own mistakes! Just live life, enjoy, and keep smiling. Good post Luke [emoji106]

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Thank you and this! When I stopped to think how old my parents were at various points of my life it left me a bit speechless, because at 45 I’m still a clueless moron, when my Dad was 45 I was 20 FFS :smiley:

robroy:

peirre:

robroy:

I think I picked it up on a tv documentary about the rock band ‘The Eagles’'.
Don Henley quoted it, talking about band member Joe Walsh I think, who is along the same lines of Keith Moon…(who actually did burn out during a very full lifestyle. :smiley:) and I’m nearly sure he credited it to the singer Neil.Young.
Anyhoo I’ve used it ever since…but never pretended it was mine. :smiley:

Probably said by someone mentioned years before but it’s also a line in Highlander and is used in the accompanying Queen soundtrack

the maoster:

peirre:

robroy:

That was uttered by The Korgan in Highlander 1. One of the best movies of all time.

Oh I should have read all before replying

robroy:
I’ve always looked upon age as a concept, ok we all get older, naturally, but it’s how you deal with it that is the secret of a happy full life, if you want to be old you’re old.

After my brush with death I re-evaluated my life, thought back about if it had been my time, and I realised something- I’ve had a [zb] fantastic life, all of it, good and bad I’ve had a great time and am excited for what comes next!

As for getting older losing my brother totally changed my view on ageing- enjoy it as millions never ever get the chance, never more starkly illustrated than by the current news story about the children on the ice. Live life for those that can’t.

Ee by 'eck we had a log book to fill in the days driving hours in my day, No poncy tautliners or sleeper cabs either. :grimacing: :grimacing:

When I started and came back after a trip, it took two hours to sort the horses out and clean the tack.

Santa:
When I started and came back after a trip, it took two hours to sort the horses out and clean the tack.

And the poop on the road ? Did you carry plastic bags ?