In cab smoking

Share a cab with a day driver who smokes, don’t have to much of a issue with it, any advice on removing the smell off the steering wheel would be greatly appreciated,

Flash wipes normally do the trick,or simlar scented wipes…and ask him to buy himself some too so he can clean his hands after he smokes.
You shouldn’t have to put up with it.

By law he shouldn’t really be smoking in the truck.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Baby wipes or any interior cleaner (just cleaner, not dressing) will get rid. A good spray of Zoflora will get rid of any lingering stale smell and get the windows down even just a crack when driving.

Giving the dashboard a clean will help too.

A.

Adonis.:
Baby wipes or any interior cleaner (just cleaner, not dressing) will get rid. A good spray of Zoflora will get rid of any lingering stale smell and get the windows down even just a crack when driving.

A.

Agreed but…

Shouldn’t the nasty, law breaking smoker be doing this though?

yourhavingalarf:

Adonis.:

A.

Agreed but…

Shouldn’t the nasty, law breaking smoker be doing this though?

He absolutely should but in my experience smokers don’t seem to care about the manky smell they leave behind, hence the reason for threads like this.

A.

Give him some nicorate and tell him to stop it.
It’s not just on your hands it’s on the seat headlining etc etc
It’ll soon be following you into your car and home

You obviously work for an outfit that has little or no regard for its Drivers or the law.
It is ILLEGAL to smoke in a Company vehicle,and you would be well within your rights to have a word with your Boss about the smell.

lolipop:
You obviously work for an outfit that has little or no regard for its Drivers or the law.
It is ILLEGAL to smoke in a Company vehicle,and you would be well within your rights to have a word with your Boss about the smell.

The other driver may or may not be smoking in the cab - it isn’t “obvious” at all. People who smoke stink, and the smell follows them into whichever vehicle they get into, especially if they’ve been smoking outside just a few moments earlier. The smell is often transferred from their hands to the steering wheel - which appears to be what the OP is wanting to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The cab has no real noticeable smell of smoke, he is a sound fella, keeps the cab clean and tidy inside and out like myself.ive tried using scented wipes on the steering wheel, just Abit off putting when your trying to eat a sandwich.
Management are aware drivers smoke in the cabs, they do all the relevant things stickers warning about in cab smoking etc, it’s hard to police.

Casper1877:
The cab has no real noticeable smell of smoke, he is a sound fella, keeps the cab clean and tidy inside and out like myself.ive tried using scented wipes on the steering wheel, just Abit off putting when your trying to eat a sandwich.
Management are aware drivers smoke in the cabs, they do all the relevant things stickers warning about in cab smoking etc, it’s hard to police.

Prob more like Ray has said, the smell does follow if it’s impregnated on their clothing,
If he’s approachable ask him to wipe his hands after smoking ?
Drop a pack of antibacterial wipes on the dash :wink:

If he’s making enough effort to not stink up the cab, I’d be surprised if he would chuck a wobbly if you asked him to give his hands a wipe down.

Also nice to see the OP isn’t chucking his toys out the pram and demanding that the smoker get fired.

Just happy enough to go in do my job n go home, try not to get to wound up about things, wouldn’t want anybody to loose there job, we all have our imperfections, that’s why I just wanted to see if there was any decent product out there that people have expierence of using.ive no reason to believe he smokes in the cab,just the smell on the wheel

I would reckon it’s down to him to either stop it (if he is actually smoking in the cab) or to get rid of any evidence of the stink himself rather than leave it to you.
If you’re ok with sharing a motor with a smoker fair play, but I couldn’t (and wouldn’t ) personally, it’s just a pet hate of mine.
(Bring on the macho smokers questioning my masculinity and ■■■■■■■■■). :smiley:

You can ‘feel’ the sticky smoke grime on a steering wheel let alone smell it, ugh nasty.

You are remarkably laid back about this, but the very least you should do is ask the bloke to give the steering wheel and controls and door handles a good wipe over with something like a multi surface cleaner when he finishes, polish is no good it’s got to be something that wets and lifts the chemicals, silicon type spray polish only covers them temporarily.

Your company is neglecting their legal duties, it’s not hard to police.
My lot sacked one night driver straight off a cushy £40k job no messing for smoking, no need for policing there’s been no one smoking in the cab since.

Up until about 10 years ago I was on 30 a day and now the smell of smoke makes me feel sick. So anyway I have a new truck and like to think I take good care of it …not for the owner but because I spend 50 hours a week in it …
Took one day off and came into work to find my cab reeking of tabs.
Wound myself up all day and told the traffic office that in future If someone smokes in my cab I will spend the day cleaning it …no deliveries no driving …just 10 hours of cleaning…If that is a problem then they can sack me and we can all have a day out at an industrial tribunal…
Formal memo now gone out to all drivers about smoking in cabs…
I know what it’s like to be gasping for a smoke…But just get out and walk around …

I hate the smell of stale smoke and the grime that goes with it, I vape and it leaves no smell or trace of anything. If you must smoke in a cab, I suggest vaping until you can get out of the cab for a smoke if you are that desperate for a cig. I couldn’t drive for 4.5 hrs without having a vape.

UKtramp:
I hate the smell of stale smoke and the grime that goes with it, I vape and it leaves no smell or trace of anything. If you must smoke in a cab, I suggest vaping until you can get out of the cab for a smoke if you are that desperate for a cig. I couldn’t drive for 4.5 hrs without having a vape.

I’m afraid your mistaken on that one , my mate vapes and you can smell the sweet / fruity smell it leaves behind in his cab. having said that its nothing like as bad as stale tobacco .

syramax:

UKtramp:

I’m afraid your mistaken on that one , my mate vapes and you can smell the sweet / fruity smell it leaves behind in his cab. having said that its nothing like as bad as stale tobacco .

I reckon you’re correct. Smokers don’t smell stale smoke or tobacco. Vap users don’t sense their lingering odour.

I don’t smell of sweat after I’ve been out jogging.
Not noticeable to me anyway.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Probably right, but I have never heard anyone complain about my sherbet lemmon vape lingering. It smells like an air freshener. Big difference between that and stale smoke or your body odour after a run. :smiley: