In cab microwaves

Due to the fact that i’ve just found out i’m gonna be a dad, i thought i’d better look at ways of cutting costs to save a little bit of money so i can put down a deposit on a pushchair.
So, microwaves in the cab… Good bit of kit or waste of space?
Now i know these things are a little pricey so i’ve got a choice. Buy one designed for use in the cab ££££ or get a cheap one from asda and use it with an inverter.
Has anyone got any thoughts on which would be the better (not cheaper)option?
Another thing is, how quickly do they run the batterys down and is it worth fitting a 24v meter in the cab?

Mine doesn’t run the battery down at all, I have been known to run it for well over an hour in total between parking up one night and starting again the next day, I use it for heating water for coffee so it gets a lot of use. It would depend on what capacity batteries you have; I have higher capacity batteries fitted so I guess it could be a different story with regular ones. I know another driver with one who starts the engine every time he uses the microwave, but he gets battery problems. The trouble is it is taking more out of the batteries to start the engine than the microwave takes to heat something.

Using a domestic one with an inverter you will need an inverter with a lot of power and you won’t be able to just plug it into the 24 volt socket in the cab, lots of potential for melted plastic that way. It will need to be fed directly from the battery.

If you go for the 24 volt option, and wire it yourself, be aware that they have a capacitor built into them and even disconnected from the battery you can get a nasty belt from the exposed cable. I watched a know-it-all electrician get a nasty burn on his hand from my microwave, despite me warning him, which I have to say was very funny to see. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve been without my microwave for a week or so now,and it’s cost me a fortune in buying meals out.
I usually fill my fridge with ready meals to cook in the microwave,you can get a hell of a selection now from the supermarkets which are healthily balanced and very tasty,and they take just 5-6min to cook.

I wouldn’t be without mine now,they are very handy when you are parked somewhere or waiting to load/unload where there are no facilities.

I have the 24v Samsung model and it’s brilliant.

I do still have the odd meal in an Autohof as a change.

Another thing is that you can cook the meals in their own packaging,and I then dish them up on paper plates.Saves all that messy washing up business :wink:
I mean,that’s womens work innit! :unamused:

Uh oh! here it comes! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Cheers for that lads, looks like i could be paying CDC a visit very shortly.
Its not just the price of the food that i’m taking into account here, it’s also the amount of kak i’m eating, at least with a microwave i can get some hot E numbers into myself or even the odd baked spud when im feeling in a healthy eating mood.
Good idea about paper plates. I WAS wondering if i could get a 24v dishwasher under the bunk, needent worry about that now…

I think you can get a 24v dishwasher, from a boat builders. Sure I saw one when I was looking through a catalogue the other week. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

REAL Drivers don’t need microwaves ! they rub sticks together to make fire and can teach Ray Mears a thing or two about living outdoors

:wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ive got a large invertor fitted and run an 800w microwave which i bought from asda for 30 quid. Its bloody brilliant :laughing: :laughing: .. especially now marks and sparks are in several msas selling decent ready meals. I dont find it draws too much power sammy

As an afterthought… Has anyone run an electric blanket in the cab? I`m considering buying a cheap one but wonder if they draw too much power?
And my next toy will probably be a freeview digibox for the motor :smiley:

I am pretty sure I saw a 24 volt one of these a few years ago. No idea of the kind of power they draw but it is not something I would use either at home or in the cab. I don’t even use the night heater unless it is extremely cold, down to minus double figures really.

On a related note, does anyone wear pyjamas in the cab? I used to know one driver who did but as I haven’t worn them since I was about 10 it always struck me as a little weird.

Coffeeholic:
I am pretty sure I saw a 24 volt one of these a few years ago. No idea of the kind of power they draw but it is not something I would use either at home or in the cab. I don’t even use the night heater unless it is extremely cold, down to minus double figures really.

On a related note, does anyone wear pyjamas in the cab? I used to know one driver who did but as I haven’t worn them since I was about 10 it always struck me as a little weird.

Now there`s an idea! Electric jimjams :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Think i may just buy a hot water bottle :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JB:
Now there`s an idea! Electric jimjams :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You really are a big old softie aren’t you? :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

JB:

You really are a big old softie aren’t you? :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

My other half presented me with a hot water bottle last week end, such a love, didn’t have the heart to tell her it would need hot water :unamused:

But I don’t go anywhere without my slippers :wink:

steve_24v:
My other half presented me with a hot water bottle last week end, such a love, didn’t have the heart to tell her it would need hot water :unamused:

She blonde then, your other half?

Sorry but it was too easy to resist it. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

JB:
Ive got a large invertor fitted and run an 800w microwave which i bought from asda for 30 quid. Its bloody brilliant :laughing: :laughing: .. especially now marks and sparks are in several msas selling decent ready meals. I dont find it draws too much power sammy

The invertor i’ve got is only 300w. I’m presuming here that the invertor has got to be a higher wattage than the microwave?
I might get a baked spud after 9 hrs driving with the thing on full power at 300w!

sammy5040:
The invertor i’ve got is only 300w. I’m presuming here that the invertor has got to be a higher wattage than the microwave?
I might get a baked spud after 9 hrs driving with the thing on full power at 300w!

The only thing that will get cooked is the 300 watt invertor. :wink: :smiley: You will need one that has a higher capacity than the power that the oven will draw.

I’ve just had a peek on Maplin’s web site and can get a 1000w inverter for £150.
I’m gonna go for this rather than the 24v micro which i think is a bit pricey
Still a bit concerned about the batterys though.
Mine are 120Ah’s.
Anyone got any advice on this?

kuda are doing a xmas special microwave 24volt for £140

i don’t which Job and which Lorry you have.
butif you do longhaul you can remove the topbed,set the Lower Bed high to can fix it on the Backwall,and build you Furnitures and little Kitchen under it.
I had over years the Tools out the Toolbox,fitted before te Tank,reoved and two Batteries in,wich i could conect by cables i also used for Taillift and lift in Trailer,to have twice the 24 Volt Systems.
with that i could run all electricity till Battery was flat,and hang it then o secound Pair to start.
Was just for safety by long staying and winter,but worked very well