In cab cooking?

Hi, just a quick one.

Ive seen people using a camping stove in the cab for cooking, they place the stove on the folded down passenger seat, surely this could burn the back/melt the plastic back.
so my question is, does anyone use a heat proof mat under the stove?
If so, where do you purchase them?

Cheers

A

I use the plastic box that the stove lives in when not in use, open a window or two and the roof vent. Lucky in that I have a fold down table do it all on (yea yea).

Good squirt of fabreze when done and from time to time wipe the roof lining off with dettol wipes to help avoid the cooking smells.

An old atlas is good insulator.

There is a gap underneath to allow circulation. I used to cook on the plastic binnacle on my Atego. Never left a mark. Even after the truck burnt to a crisp. The binnacle was fine!

If it melts the back of the seat you’ve got the cooker upside down.

switchlogic:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

switchlogic:

Lol, there’s always one clever carrot :laughing:

switchlogic:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

haribo4000:

switchlogic:

Lol, there’s always one clever carrot :laughing:

Love the boots in your Avatar :stuck_out_tongue:

switchlogic:

love it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

switchlogic:

Must one of my favourite responses of the year.

I’ve used many types of stoves over the years and I’ve never seen any sign of melting parts of my truck. The stoves are normally design with an air gap or the gas cylinder provides the insulation.

Biggest danger from any stove is carbon monoxide poisoning if you use them with the windows closed.

Bought a camping stove from Morrisons. First time I used it it melted the floor mat (scania) between the seats. And yes it was the right way up! Bought another but always use a wooden panel for piece of mind.

Biggest danger when i cook , is food poisoning :laughing:

cypry0:
Biggest danger when SWMBO cooks at home, is food poisoning :laughing:

Corrected that for you :smiley:

cypry0:
Biggest danger when i cook , is food poisoning :laughing:

Lol +1

Harry Monk:
Biggest danger from any stove is carbon monoxide poisoning if you use them with the windows closed.

you beat me to it

a polish driver was found dead in his cab from this just a few years ago

I’m sure there was someone who posts on here come close too.

scanny77:

Harry Monk:

you beat me to it

a polish driver was found dead in his cab from this just a few years ago

A friends dad who was a driver went the same way!
Won’t have gas in my truck ever!!!

You can get combined smoke & CO alarms from most DIY sheds, cost about £20 or so. Stick one of these up, make sure the battery is up to date** & the unit tested regularly, and you shouldn’t have any worries.

Gary

** When I’ve fitted smoke alarms, I’ve always recommended that the battery is changed when the clocks change - it won’t be flat, but can be used in the kids’ toys, remote controls etc, to get the rest of the life out of it.

^^^^ great bit of advice mate .