In cab charger!

I recently bought a tablet and had hgv sat nav software installed, however the in cab charger broke so I purchased a new 12v one from maplin of much better quality. Plugged it in the next day and it blew up and started smoking! Two questions would this be because its a 24v and not 12v need and if so where I can get 24v chargers?

Napkin do the 24v ones aswell thats what i use.

Tried their website can’t see one on there?

Amazon

Sorry that was ment to be maplin ■■■■ predictive text

Well putting double the voltage through it likely would blow it up. :bulb: Just the same as putting 24v thru’ a 12v bulb will blow it. :unamused:

Why didn’'t you plug it into the 12v outlet :question:

Dont bother with a car charger. They never last long. Buy an inverter. They last much longer. Used to buy a charger a week for iPhone/iPad. I’ve had my current inverter for 2 year now. Its running 24 hours a day for 5/6 days. Maplins sell 12v inverters instore. If you want a 24v one you will have to order it online.
Or any decent truckstop but there more expensive in truckstop. Almost double in price.
The 12v inverters from maplins run quiet. But the 24v roadtec inverter i got from a truckstop has a really loud fan. Wich I’ve had to replace.

a normal 12 volt charger will just blow up in a 24 volt.

24volt ones are available.

im going to try the one below works 12 and 24 volt with micro usb for phones etc and usb port

ebay.co.uk/itm/Naztech-Steal … 2ec7c8c670

The supply in a wagon is usually about 28v. Even 24v chargers dont last long.

I agree, I bought a 24 v inverter from Maplins in Peterborough, it was in stock, I just called beforehand to make sure they still had one. I’ve had it fro two years now and as said, it’s the best way to run equipment in the cab, mine’s was a 300watt for £38, well worth it.

Sapper

Ive got one of these… ebay.co.uk/itm/300W-SOFT-STA … 51abe69278

SUPERB piece of kit! even has a usb output for phones and stuff :slight_smile:

B…

just so you know I have run a 12 volt charger in my cab for two years with no probs ,last week I bought a multi charger which has 5 connectors on it micro usb etc .Plugged in my smart phone to charge it ,bang fuse blown but also sadly my nice smart phone will not charge now ,even at home seems something has blown in my phone .As I write its being repaired fingers crossed .Also my works phone is a crappy little nokia thinking it was my phone usb which had blown I plugged said crappy phone in to charge, result two knackered phones