In Cab CCTV

We’re considering having them installed. I’d welcome forward facing with no audio as I have no problem with my driving style being monitored but they want to put ones with audio in and are even considering driver facing cameras too as they “Improve Driving Standards” apparently.

My P45 will follow shortly after.

bit of AC/DC,and Def leppard,cranked up full whack on the CD player,will give em something to listen to

I can’t see how the union can stop driver facing cctv cameras.

rambo19:

Black permanent marker with the ignition off would be more effective.
:wink:

I would wear my lime green mankini when driving to freak them out, they would soon remove the camera :laughing:

rambo19:

Really depends how strong the union is within the company and if the union will stand up for its members and its members will stand together.

Sadly we now live in a look after yourself society, which is exactly what the ruling classes want, they already know how to look after themselves, and by getting us to be the same they’ve managed to divide and conquer.

Muckaway:
CB talk today that forward facing and in cab cctv isn’t allowed in RAF Brize Norton??

The only video recording equip allowed on base is that which is monitored by the base it’s self BAE do a lot of sensitive work and testing on site along with some flights that on paper never exist, Brize is the RAF’s gateway so there is a lot more to it then it seems.
Sorry to go off topic

Forward facing - no prob. at all.
Vehicle side/rearview monitors - ditto.
Inward & sound capable - Go fk yourselves. fk their assurances as to how/when it kicks in too.
Way too big brother. After all the quals/tests/certificates/regs etc.etc,
they want to keep turning the screws?

time for the new age luddites to get busy.

■■■■■■■:
Forward facing - no prob. at all.
Vehicle side/rearview monitors - ditto.
Inward & sound capable - Go fk yourselves. fk their assurances as to how/when it kicks in too.
Way too big brother. After all the quals/tests/certificates/regs etc.etc,
they want to keep turning the screws?

time for the new age luddites to get busy.

^^This^^ Well said.

Twinny:

Muckaway:
How many of you have this and what are peoples’ opinions? Our new lorries have it and the drivers weren’t told. Apparently they can record conversations aswell. Does this breach data protection laws or not as some colleagues believe so? Some drivers are worried that if they stick to 40 the company will get on their back, and if they don’t they’re open to trouble in event of any accident (especially if work’s quiet :wink: )

BTW, it doesn’t affect me as I’ve handed my notice in anyway, but thought I’d ask and then pass on any info to the drivers concerned.

CCTV in the cab is fine, either inward or outward facing, if you are concerned about being recorded there are rules that the company has to follow regarding the data protection act, without going into too much detail if you are being recorded by a camera that is facing you, they can only use the footage and sound file incase of an incident and can’t use it for spying on the driver, if they are using it for that reason you are well in your rights to ask them to remove it.

Just a simple question, and try to think outside the box with this one…
How would you know that they are not using it to spy on you?

puballday:
Just a simple question, and try to think outside the box with this one…
How would you know that they are not using it to spy on you?

They should save their money as there are a couple of drivers there who’ll happily ring the office to inform on you when you go home or stop for a break at a different time to everyone else.
:wink: :unamused:

If a company fitted a driver facing camera to a new truck, theres not alot you can do about it.
If you put tape over the lens, the company will know and you will leave yourself wide open for disaplinary action.
You could refuse to drive the truck, and maybe the union will back you up with strike action, but that depends on if your fellow drivers will support you. That takes time, and I would bet no one would strike over it.

The best thing is to get written assurances saying that the cctv can only be used when you have an incident, IE, been involved in a crash and company can only use footage of when the crash happened, not 20 minutes before.

Also ask the union for an agreement that if you are involved in a incident that involves police, then no action can be taken until the police have finished thier investigation.

Overall, i’m a fan of cctv, i’d much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

rambo19:
If a company fitted a driver facing camera to a new truck, theres not alot you can do about it.

there is, you tilt the sunvisor down a bit so it cant see you and you cant see it.

I’ve always said nothing to hide nothing to worry about but this is taking things to a new level now,but as normall most drivers will roll over and take it…
I like the freedom of the job and this is taking it away.
Also I don’t believe for a minute it only records 15 seconds before and after they will watch it all the time waiting for you to mess up and use it as another stick to beat you with

yorkshire terrier:
I’ve always said nothing to hide nothing to worry about but this is taking things to a new level now,but as normall most drivers will roll over and take it…
I like the freedom of the job and this is taking it away.
Also I don’t believe for a minute it only records 15 seconds before and after they will watch it all the time waiting for you to mess up and use it as another stick to beat you with

…+1

as soon as 1 jobsworth company fits them,then the lemming companies will follow suit one by one. if they save 50 p per year on insurance then they wont give a toss if the drivers moan,leave or otherwise.unless your working for a decent family type firm,then your only a bum in a seat to them irrespectuive of how they refer to you as a work colleague etc.(mate). was there not the same discussion when they brought tachographs in? the phrase (spy in the cab) springs to mind with all the armchair vikings gobbing off about how they wouldnt work with a tacho.the big union factories wouldnt load you if you had one fitted etc. youl all have them shortly,and if you leave,then itl be to work for some wee cowboy outfit that darent use them anyway.if your with the agency,then are you going to refuse a shift with a cab cam? (i think not) some eurocabbage thinks up the idea,then it gets implimented ,same as ,have you got your hi viz ,safety boots,gloves,hard hat,goggles drive?.like it or lump it,thats whats coming,so get ready to smile,your on candid camera

Drivers from the UK who are fed up of being spied on could go to the land of the free…Germany, where I’m sure such things would be illegal due to the strict privacy laws they have over there…how ironic that Britain, who supposedly fought fascism is now at the world centre of surveillance against its own population and places like Germany regulate the power of governments and companies so this sort of thing cannot happen there.

Does anyone on here work for a German firm and have to put up with this sort of nonsense?

kindle530:

rambo19:

there is, you tilt the sunvisor down a bit so it cant see you and you cant see it.

I do this with the average speed scameras on motorways where they are constantly taking frontal pictures of everyone :smiley:

kindle530:

rambo19:

FFS, do you honestly think it will be fitted so a sun visor can block it?

rambo19:
If you put tape over the lens, the company will know and you will leave yourself wide open for disaplinary action.
You could refuse to drive the truck, and maybe the union will back you up with strike action, but that depends on if your fellow drivers will support you. That takes time, and I would bet no one would strike over it.

The best thing is to get written assurances saying that the cctv can only be used when you have an incident, IE, been involved in a crash and company can only use footage of when the crash happened, not 20 minutes before.

Also ask the union for an agreement that if you are involved in a incident that involves police, then no action can be taken until the police have finished thier investigation.

Overall, i’m a fan of cctv, i’d much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Would you let them film you having a ■■■■ just in case you fall in the loo and might try a false claim against them for injury? :unamused:

I would simply put something over the lens.

I work for myself and if they didn’t like it…I’d go elsewhere where the firm actually trusted the drivers to do the job.

In a bus a lot of the reason for CCTV on the driver is that it’s not unknown for passengers to attack drivers…so it makes more sense here.

In a truck…ahem… no! I’ve yet to see 20 tonnes of parcels attacking a driver and it simply isn’t needed…