In a pickle

Hi everyone, im in a right pickle and I dont know what to do.

Basically I work (on a self employed basis) For once company , been there nearly a year, know the job fairly well and enjoy it most of the time, but they dont have any class 2 vehicles, only vans and 7.5s. Ive been to a agency, got offered a job doing general haulage in 7.5s and class 2s, the job is easy enough, but To carry on being self employed they want me to set up as being a ltd company. I can only work part time as im a carer for me mother aswell so this makes job hunting even more difficult as I have to plan around other carers. My predicament is this, do i Stay with the original company (fairly enjoyable but sometimes a bit more handball than id like, driving brand new 7.5s which are more uncomfy than sitting on a house brick and with no chance of driving a class 2 until Christmas time when work goes mental!) Or do i stay with the agency getting a chance to drive the bigger stuff but I have to go back to being new boy again and the whole ltd company stuff. In one breath I think better the devil you know but then the other Im fed up of all the politics at the first place. They run lovely new vehicles but the office staff dont know there arse from there elbow and think you can run bent every day and get the hump if i refuse to pull the card (usually telling em ive just spend the best part of 2k on my licence and im not losing it for them or anyone else!). Wages are near enough the same, agency is a few mile closer to home though.

Havent told company one about my day at the agency so I still have the chance to just carry on as it were.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

To be honest it sounds like you have considered the pros and cons of both already so its going to come down to what you feel is best for you. We’re all only going to post advice as to what would ideally suit us but that may not be relevant to you. My personal view would be if you’ve paid out £2k for your LGV licenses then I’d want to be using them rather than just doing 7.5t work. Hope it works out in the end for you

If you’re only working for one company you shouldn’t be a sole proprietor you should be on the books. Try different agencies as there are still ones who will do paye but from personal experience they will use you as SP when they’re desperate. (did they recommend you an umbrella company by any chance) :wink: they’re also lying barstewards and tbh you’ve as much chance getting some business cards and cv’s out to the local hauliers and cutting out the middle man.

Thanks.

I also run my own small company anyway hence the self employed. Ive been emailing local haulage companys and if im out working I always try and speak to someone, always pleasent and enquiring. The first company I do enjoy working for, but they do take the ■■■■ sometimes, I know i could get that anywhere but i also enjoy doing a job where i know the crack and i know what im doing, feel a bit daft being new boy and having to ask questions all the time.

It sounds a bit like the frying pan and the fire to me.

There are more options than an agency out there if you want to make a move.

My advice is, stay where you are but look around for an alternative proper (as in not agency) job.

Good luck with whatever you choose.