Improving Chances for New CLass 1 Driver

Hi Guys i know there is no answer for sure but i am wondering if improving my license would help me get a job with minimum Class 1 driving experience, i have been driving Class 2 trucks now for years with no problems but now i have my Class 1 i am keen to start driving artics for a living.

Would doing my ADR now be a worthwhilst investment or would the jobs that need ADR be the same jobs that the employers are looking for minimum experience, i don’t think there would be any point in doing an hiab now but what about a FLT license for the FLT you see fixed to the back of artics, are these even covered by a normal FLT license?

I have a lot to learn but i am extremely keen like most of newly passed class one drivers i would think and can’t wait to start getting good loading / driving experience with artics.

P.S I just bought a new atlas and got a special deal where i got the book Haynes “Truckers’ Handbook” i found this book to be great packed full of knowledge from Tacho’s to Loads to Truckstops, even though i know a good chunk of whats in it there is plenty i do not and recommend this book to any new drivers as it’s great just to keep in your cab!

Sparks

Hi Sparks,

Will try my best with my limited knowledge!!

Sparks:
Would doing my ADR now be a worthwhilst investment or would the jobs that need ADR be the same jobs that the employers are looking for minimum experience

Your ADR could be of use in this situation, however I will add something which has been advised to me by two separate people both whom I regard their information as top notch. Unless you have driving milk tankers or mixer trucks, or have numerous companies around you who deliver with tankers it’d be a waste of time and money doing your tanker module on the ADR which is an extra expense which you probably wouldn’t get a look in at using.

I did my ADR in Feb of this year, and though I’ve not used it yet, it is there as another qualification to go on your cv and another door that you have opened up for yourself. Also I paid (i think it was £75) on top of the course fee and got 21 hours towards my dcpc so effectively killed two birds with one stone in some respects.

Sparks:
i don’t think there would be any point in doing an hiab now

Any particular reason why not? It can be a handy ticket to have, and if you live in the proximity of any brick or block hauliers could get a foot in the door, I did a week away with a chap from here who is a owner driver brick and block work guy, and it was a bloody great week, much better being able to tip yourself than wait for bone idol warehouse boys to get their backsides into gear :laughing: :laughing: But again if there is no one fairly local to you where you might be able to use it, might not be worth doing.

On a separate note, if you do decide to do it, do a course where you can get dcpc hours accredited to you, again two birds one stone scenario :smiley:

Sparks:
what about a FLT license for the FLT you see fixed to the back of artics, are these even covered by a normal FLT license?

From what I know about these, which are called moffetts or mountys, you need to have i think possibly BOTH reach and counterbalance flt licenses, and then go to a trainer who deals with mountys, and get your flt licenses upgraded, again seems a worthless investment unless there are companies close to you who have this set up, again if you were to do this, I believe some places have courses which can add hours to your dcpc.

On a side note, if you are in full time work at the minute that you are quite happy doing, don’t jump ship at the first class 1 job you might be offered, much better to enjoy the work you are doing and bide your time for the right job to come along, than be in a job you don’t like where you get treated like crap but you’re in an artic so somehow that magically makes it all better, it won’t do.

On a further side note, try signing up with some local agencies see if they can get you a shift every now and then on your rest periods, to get you some artic experience, but again don’t jump ship to try and rely on any agency being able to give you full weeks of work every week.

Sorry if there was anything in this post which seemed obvious to you and sounds like I’m trying to teach to ■■■■ eggs, I’m only new to the industry (been in a class one job for a year, before that a few months on a 7.5 tonner) so don’t know it all.know much if anything :laughing: but just wanted to make sure I put down in writing all the things buzzing round in my head in case you weren’t sure about any particular thing.

Hope in some way this helps.

P.S if you put your location down, people can give you a heads up on anything they might know of local to you that you may not be aware of :wink:

Hi Sparks,

You have received some very good advice already, and driving an artic isn’t the be-all and end-all of
everything. There are plenty of good to work for firms around (vacancies permitting) that run only
rigids, and do not carry hazardous or Moffet Mounties, nor have Hiabs.

I got my class 1 in 1976 at a cost of £180, big money then, and apart from a short spell at National
Carriers with the tiny artics, it was 15 years before I got a proper class 1 job, and I have never had
to use a Hiab. I have carried hazardous pre - ADR days, but a lot of firms won’t touch it nowadays.

If you are happy where you are and the money is okay, stay there and keep the class 1 licence under
your cap until such times as you need it.

Sparks:
Hi Guys i know there is no answer for sure …

Would doing my ADR now be a worthwhilst investment or would the jobs that need ADR be the same jobs that the employers are looking for minimum experience, …

Hi Sparks, That’s a great question mate, but as you already know, there’s no easy answer because of the variables…

The good bits:

• An ADR licence is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
  • An ADR licence is valid for use in the UK and the 44 other ADR member countries.
  • An ADR licence is valid for whatever driving licence category you hold, AND any future driving licence upgrade(s) you may wish to take.
  • An ADR licence can be ‘refreshed’ after 4 years validity have expired, but with NOT LESS than one month validiy remaining, so effectively you have an 11-month ‘refresher’ window of opportunity. An ADR refresher course is approx half the duration of an ADR initial course.
  • An ADR licence might make you a bit more employable to some companies.

The bad bits:

• The requirement for ADR trained drivers usually depends on your geographic location and the type of industries in that area.
  • I’d say that you’d need to be thinking in terms of (approx) £450, for gaining an ADR licence for UN Classes 2,3,4,5,6,8 &9 to be carried in packages.
  • The type of ADR course that I’ve just mentioned may count as 21-hours towards your DCPC, but you’d have to check with the course provider.
  • The DCPC element may attract an extra fee.

:bulb: If you read the ADR ‘sticky’ in the Safety and Law forum, you get some idea of what’s involved in the carriage of dangerous goods.
For info on the ADR exams and the UN Classes of dangerous goods, I’d suggest that you read my answers to Adam79 and Hutchie nearly half-way down :arrow_right: HERE

This is also very good advice:

garnerlives:
I did my ADR in Feb of this year, and though I’ve not used it yet, it is there as another qualification to go on your cv and another door that you have opened up for yourself. Also I paid (i think it was £75) on top of the course fee and got 21 hours towards my dcpc so effectively killed two birds with one stone in some respects.

As is this:

axletramp:
There are plenty of good to work for firms around (vacancies permitting) that run only
rigids, and do not carry hazardous or Moffet Mounties, nor have Hiabs.

Dave’s ADR mythbuster:

garnerlives:
Unless you have driving milk tankers or mixer trucks, or have numerous companies around you who deliver with tankers it’d be a waste of time and money doing your tanker module on the ADR which is an extra expense which you probably wouldn’t get a look in at using.

Given Sparks’ newness to the transport industry, I’d also advise against the time and expense of taking the ADR tanker module, but not for that reason.

:bulb: ADR is all about moving dangerous goods, so an ADR licence ISN’T required for a milk tanker OR a mixer truck. :wink:
That needed pointing out only if I’ve read Jon’s post correctly, but I may not have done-- hence the caveat. :sunglasses:

If you give your location, there’ll be folks on here with local knowledge, which may assist us to answer your question. :grimacing:

I know milk isn’t dangerous Dave :wink:

I was trying to get across the info you passed on to me at some point re petrol tankers etc where you said I’d have more of a chance of getting a job doing such work if I’d have worked on milk tankers etc in regard to the liquid load aspects of things, as obviously having haz freight is one thing to think/worry about, the characteristics of a liquid load is another thing to “worry” about and hence you said they’d probably prefer someone with previous liquid load experience to aid the progression into the job, or something similar to that, if you can put it in a more straight forward way for others, please do :sunglasses:

garnerlives:
I know milk isn’t dangerous Dave :wink:

I was trying to get across the info you passed on to me at some point re petrol tankers etc where you said I’d have more of a chance of getting a job doing such work if I’d have worked on milk tankers etc in regard to the liquid load aspects of things, as obviously having haz freight is one thing to think/worry about, the characteristics of a liquid load is another thing to “worry” about and hence you said they’d probably prefer someone with previous liquid load experience to aid the progression into the job, or something similar to that, if you can put it in a more straight forward way for others, please do :sunglasses:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the clarification. :smiley:

I took what you’d written in one way, (the wrong way :blush: ) but I was careful that didn’t jump to a conclusion. :sunglasses:

Yes, I’d agree that if somebody had driven a tanker that carried a non-dangerous cargo, that person would more likely be considered for a position driving a tanker that does carry dangerous cargo if they held an ADR tanker licence.

:bulb: As we’ve all agreed before, nothing is set in stone and there are exceptions to what appears to be the ‘rule.’
You yourself are a good example of that. :smiley:

Thnx for all the replys guy much appreciated, currently i drive tacho exempt vehicles which is both good and bad, good in the fact i can do what hours i want but bad in the fact that i never do what hours i want but what my company wants and thats normally an insane amount of hours, i see my artic license as a way to earn a good wage without killing myself anymore lol, a 50 hour mon-fri and then every other sat or sun would be a walk in the park to me, i just could not earn much money doing those sort of hours in my current job and sometimes im doing things like 6 x 17-18 hour shifts in a week, As i drive plant i can’t see any reason atm why this is against the law when you have signed the opt out and the company is not “forcing” you to do these hours although we all know in the real world that a company can “force” without “forcing” lol.

I live in kingsbury by the way so theres a big petrol storage place on my doorstep with tankers going in and out non-stop although i do not think they would look at me twice as a new Class 1, maybe driving Class 2 petrol tankers would be a good way to go with a chance to progress to Class 1 within the company.

Thnx again Sparks

There are apparently some hazards associated with milk surprisingly enough,if it were to be spilled into a watercourse in a large enough quantity the it could de-oxygenate the water and kill marine life.

Sparks:
I live in kingsbury by the way so theres a big petrol storage place on my doorstep with tankers going in and out non-stop although i do not think they would look at me twice as a new Class 1, maybe driving Class 2 petrol tankers would be a good way to go with a chance to progress to Class 1 within the company.

Hi Sparks,

That’s exactly what I meant by ‘exception,’ because none of us know whether you’re an exception. :wink:
Now you’ve posted the above, I wouldn’t like to attempt to advise you on your next move, because nothing is set in stone and there are clearly several options open to you.

I guess that what you do next is a question of balancing your own confidence against the costs of training courses and the opportunities open to you, but I can’t see anything stopping you from your ambitions. :smiley:

I’d like to wish you good luck in your decision, but please keep posting and let us know how you get on with it all. :smiley: