Impossible to find class 2 job as a new pass

So I passed my class 2 and got my CPC done in September, received all my cards, ready to go, I’ve been applying like mad on indeed, cv library, and even directly with companies like DHL, Evri, Brakes, and one of those local kinaxia logistics companies which claim to take new passes so I applied, waited and waited, boom, REJECTED or ghosted!

i know i don’t have the relevant experience I’ve been doing kitchen work all my life and i really want a change, I’ve also been looking for van and 7.5 jobs just to get myself on the doorstep, NOTHING!

i started to think that there was never been a shortage of drivers, only shortage of companies willing to take new passes and they would rather let their trucks sit in the yards not making a penny than take on a new pass…i feel like i spent 1.8k for NOTHING! Kinda regret it now, should’ve done bus driving instead… i did my hgv because of all the ‘‘shortage’’ ■■■■■■■■, and wanted to fulfil my dream of driving a rig.

Firstly congratulations on the pass!

Don’t be too down on yourself. It’s only been a couple of months so stick at it and maybe visit some local companies to hand your CV over in person, if you haven’t already.

All the best and I’m sure you’ll find a way in sooner rather than later!

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

Look at jobs advertising for drivers mates, get a few weeks of that under your belt. The company might look more favorably on someone they know, rather than running a risk on a newbie from a piece of paper. A good way to get in the door, even if the pay is ■■■■ initially something you can log on a CV.

pass c.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Cabbageman94GBEss:
So I passed my class 2 and got my CPC done in September, received all my cards, ready to go, I’ve been applying like mad on indeed, cv library, and even directly with companies like DHL, Evri, Brakes, and one of those local kinaxia logistics companies which claim to take new passes so I applied, waited and waited, boom, REJECTED or ghosted!

i know i don’t have the relevant experience I’ve been doing kitchen work all my life and i really want a change, I’ve also been looking for van and 7.5 jobs just to get myself on the doorstep, NOTHING!

i started to think that there was never been a shortage of drivers, only shortage of companies willing to take new passes and they would rather let their trucks sit in the yards not making a penny than take on a new pass…i feel like i spent 1.8k for NOTHING! Kinda regret it now, should’ve done bus driving instead… i did my hgv because of all the ‘‘shortage’’ ■■■■■■■■, and wanted to fulfil my dream of driving a rig.

Try one of the roadsweeper companies such as goplant etc. They are always taking on and although a sweeper is much smaller than a normal class2, it is still a class 2 so will count as experience, get 6 months under your belt and hey presto, you have experience.
This was the route I went down when I got back into trucking a few years ago after a lengthy break, no one would give me a start even though I had previous experience many years previously, they all wanted recent experience. I was lucky I only had to do a month on the sweepers then I managed to get a start with a small local haulage company after trawling indeed everyday.
In any case, I would be surprised if you didn’t manage to get a start with someone at this time of year.

I’ll hazard a guess and say going by that list of companies your from Southampton?? If so try Gregory’s in nursling and Freightroute in Eastleigh. Freightroute don’t even give you a driving assessment and they recently had a pay rise. Not great money but palletised multidrop is probably the best experience you can get imo. I was there for 2 months after getting my class 1, set me up perfectly to breeze my assesment for where I’ve been since.
I was a bus driver and loved it but you do get abuse daily. And I mean full on proper mental and physical abuse.

No, not Southampton. colchester.

I’ve looked outside of colchester and I’m willing to travel up to 30 minutes to get to a job. I’ve applied a few, nothing. there’s this company I wanted to work for but after sending my application in 3 times and not getting anything back, i gave up with them, they’ve posted the same job today on cv library, i just ignore the post, no point trying the 4th time with them, they don’t even bother responding to my application so what’s the point… honestly i think i will give up, get my pcv with first bus instead at least I’ll have the job after passing…

Go knocking on doors, introduce yourself, if you have some spare time ask if you can go out with one of their drivers for the day to get a feel for the job etc. Always found introducing myself worked better than sending in a C.V.

How do you apply? Online only?
I would recommend phoning at least, if not actually turning up ready to work with a CV etc.
I don’t think you mentioned agencies, are you registered with them? Call them daily?

As suggested go sign up with the local agency’s lots of companies prefer in my experience to use an agency bod for 12 weeks then offer them a job as a way of sorting the wheat from the chaff. its far easier to ring an agency up and tell them don’t send blogs again than to try and sack someone even if they are a new employee. Failing that try the refuse collection places like biffa or what ever your local one is. no loading involved the majority of the time and you got people with you to help you round in tight spots if you need it.

You said you have been fitting kitchens in the past have you tried approaching the suppliers that you have a rapport with?

hope this helps
Coop

Colchester ? If you fancy nights doing traffic management you could try Martins at Witham, TMO Highways Braintree or Chevron Tring ( satellite depot M25 J29 ), seeing as you’re already class 2 they might take you on as a trainee and get you through your tickets to drive the IPV, then there’s Ringways driving a Gritter. All have FB pages for contact details and vacancies.

Could try Brakes at Bishops Stortford, a bit of a trek especially considering it’ll be early starts but they usually pay well and take on new passes.

It won’t be easy work, multi dropping food to schools and the like but you will learn fast and gain experience.

Royal Mail were recently looking for 7.5t temp Christmas drivers at Boreham tbrough agencies, very good rates.

Otherwise my usual advice is to dress tidily and go doorstepping, take a card or CV to companies who run trucks. Especially ones that are not all shiny and doing easy work.

You might find that you are in the right place at the right time, possibly starting out on a van or 7.5t.

Nothing to lose and its worked for plenty before.

Could try Brakes at Bishops Stortford, a bit of a trek especially considering it’ll be early starts but they usually pay well and take on new passes.

It won’t be easy work, multi dropping food to schools and the like but you will learn fast and gain experience.

Royal Mail were recently looking for 7.5t temp Christmas drivers at Boreham tbrough agencies, very good rates.

Otherwise my usual advice is to dress tidily and go doorstepping, take a card or CV to companies who run trucks. Especially ones that are not all shiny and doing easy work.

You might find that you are in the right place at the right time, possibly starting out on a van or 7.5t.

Nothing to lose and its worked for plenty before.

stu675:
How do you apply? Online only?
I would recommend phoning at least, if not actually turning up ready to work with a CV etc.
I don’t think you mentioned agencies, are you registered with them? Call them daily?

yes online
as for agencies, the problem is i have a full time job and that would clash with the wtd. also, for job security, i would rather go direct employment, but I might go agency as last resort.

wilkina:
Colchester ? If you fancy nights doing traffic management you could try Martins at Witham, TMO Highways Braintree or Chevron Tring ( satellite depot M25 J29 ), seeing as you’re already class 2 they might take you on as a trainee and get you through your tickets to drive the IPV, then there’s Ringways driving a Gritter. All have FB pages for contact details and vacancies.

i shall have a look at those.

Cabbageman94GBEss:
as for agencies, the problem is i have a full time job and that would clash with the wtd.

WTD for a driving job and a non driving job do not get added together
Time spent in the non driving job cannot be used as rest for the driving job

I find, sometimes they are hiring and sometimes they are not.

But, like the guys say on here, get smartened up and put a hiv viz on, look the part, they love all that stuff, steel toe cap boots. And walk in nice and polite. You can Google:
“List: haulage companies in COLCHESTER” or whatever area,
then go and see them. If they are hiring they will find you something. Indeed online is good. There are jobs out there. There’s GRITTERS in your area… starting to recruit for snow. I’m trying to think…go to visit FOULGERS in Snetterten they are looking for class 2. Sell yourself and you might make that one. Hi Viz…

Newbie 1:
I find, sometimes they are hiring and sometimes they are not.

But, like the guys say on here, get smartened up and put a hiv viz on, look the part, they love all that stuff, steel toe cap boots. And walk in nice and polite. You can Google:
“List: haulage companies in COLCHESTER” or whatever area,
then go and see them. If they are hiring they will find you something. Indeed online is good. There are jobs out there. There’s GRITTERS in your area… starting to recruit for snow. I’m trying to think…go to visit FOULGERS in Snetterten they are looking for class 2. Sell yourself and you might make that one. Hi Viz…

oh foulgers…one of the kinaxia’s, not gonna bother. i’ve applied one of kinaxia’s companies 4 times!! the company called cammacks, one of kinaxia’s, i’ve emailed them, guess what, no respond! not gonna waste my petrol and time just to turn up and be turned away…

they say they’re happy to accept new drivers but when people actually apply they don’t bloody respond, and they keep posting the same advert over and over again! I’m like well good luck looking for drivers buddy, you seem to be desperately looking for drivers but you’re actually not…like, are you even looking for drives?? pff…

Companies wouldn’t mind as much if you were all in (to use a poker analogy). If you had given up your existing job and gone on agency to get experience and had a solid few months, I bet you would get more interviews.

Nobody here can tell you what to do. Leaving a job is always a big decision. If you don’t want to leave your job, looking for a weekend day here and there may be the way forward.

Hi mate, I passed my hgv class 2 in October last year and have sent many applications through all the job sites and having the same issue, no company wants to take on new drivers.
How the heck can a new pass get experience if no company wants to take you on. I have applied for at least 20 jobs and only have 2 replies.
I will walk into haulage companies and ask them directly to see if I have any luck.
Hope you have found something good luck.