Impossible to find Class 1 job when newly passed?

Feeling really p*ssed off at the moment as the joy of passing my Class 1 test in May, has given way to frustration and exasperation at being unable to find any Class 1 work…even with Agencies!

I’m still getting the Class 2 agency work, but I need to get experience and practice in Class 1’s.

There seems to be a lot of other drivers with the same problem. Whilst working at many different depots, for different Firms, I’ve come
across quite a lot of drivers who’ve got the Class 1 licence…and in many cases have held it for 6 months - 1 year, but have never been given the chance to actually drive an artic! …and are still driving rigids!

When every Class 1 job advert says minimum 2 years experience…how on earth are you supposed to get “experience” if nobody will
let you drive an artic?!!

Unless things change the industry is going to end up with literally thousands of drivers who’ve held the HGV Class 1 licence for 2 years, but have rarely or never driven a Class 1 vehicle! Those drivers will then presumably be offered jobs (having held the licence for 2 years), but have little or no experience of Class 1 driving.

There are literally hundreds of Class 1 vacancies out there, and some Firms are whinging about a lack of qualified drivers, but those very same Firms won’t give anyone who’s held the licence for less than 2 years a look-in!

Anyone else having the same problems?

If there is that many jobs around your area you shouldn’t have that much of a problem. When i passed my class 1 just over 2 years ago i got a job night trunking straight away. Now i am on general haulage, days and this company take in newly qualified drivers. Also i do see adverts quite often saying they will at leadt consider new pass.

I passed class 1 end May with no class 2 experience and was offered 3 different jobs within a couple of weeks of getting my license back. 2 directly and 1 temp to perm through an agency.

I was told and agree it is mainly about attitude in interview/assessment drive. Also I was willing to do anything to get a start. I have seen on here that some, not saying your the case are rather fussy on what they want to do when they are starting out and should be looking for nearly anything for time on the card.

Hrgo has their own insurance and takes new passes and pertemps want you to go to their academy then will also insure you as a new pass if either of those help

We take newbies . Where are you

Passed C+E 3 weeks today…

Had my first knock back today too after an interview last week that, even though they said they take new passes, they won’t consider me further as I am a new pass…■■? (insert confused emoji here…) :unamused:

stop being available for class2 work and no doubt you will find another door opens into the kingdom of driving gods class 1 work. if the agency know you will take the scrapings,then thats all you will get.theres plenty of agencies,sign up elsewhere while your still working…class 1 r nothing.as one door opens,the other can be left swinging

Ive got zero experience since i passed in January 16 i wasn’t looking for class 1 work up until recently but i have found companies and agencies are falling over themselves to offer work.

nick2008:

His name is Lancsdriver :bulb: but you’re right Culina have always been pretty good at that, maybe the op could look for his nearest Culina depot and enquire. On a different note Samworths at Patchway were seeking newly qualified drivers several weeks ago.

It isn’t easy, but it isn’t impossible either. If it were then there’d be no experienced class 1 drivers, as we all have to start somewhere as you say.

Perseverance and perhaps a degree of creativity is important. If you get knocked back, find somewhere else. If they knock you back, try somewhere else again. You can’t be picky, you might have to travel a bit if you can’t find anything locally, but there are definitely opportunities out there.

Many companies have insurance restrictions preventing them from taking new passes, or at least making it cost prohibitive. However, some are enlightened enough to at least give folks a go.

When I first passed I was told by the driving school that the first couple of years would probably be grinding it out via agencies. That’s what I did, and it worked out okay. I probably tried at least half a dozen before I found one who were prepared to look at a newbie, and as it happens that was a Culina contract which bald bloke has already mentioned. They were very kind to me, gave me a break, and supported me very well in the critical early weeks. I shall always be grateful to them for that.

bald bloke:

nick2008:

His name is Lancsdriver :bulb: but you’re right Culina have always been pretty good at that, maybe the op could look for his nearest Culina depot and enquire. On a different note Samworths at Patchway were seeking newly qualified drivers several weeks ago.

Mines nick2008 nothing to do with where I live look at dopey oops sorry dozy don’t mean he lives with Snow White :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:

bald bloke:

nick2008:

Mines nick2008 nothing to do with where I live look at dopey oops sorry dozy don’t mean he lives with Snow White :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

True, but he does live with the fairies :smiley:

Stobart at Tesco widnes are always screaming for driver

Its a common complaint. I was almost a year after passing my test and suffering loads of knock backs about not having experience (as if that somehow equates to a better driver!) before getting behind the wheel before a company gave me a chance.
My advice is forget the agencys and the big boys and go knock on some doors of small local outfits. Their insurance is through the roof anyway so theyll take newbies on. Be prepared for ■■■■ poor wages though but stick it out. You dont need two years in a lot of cases. Any experience is enough so take the poor payer for the experience and keep looking for a better one.

Thanks for advice guys. Spent loads of time ringing around and applying for Class 1 positions this week…had plenty of knock-backs…but
one agency, which I’ve just signed up for, have managed to get me a Temp-to-Perm Class 1 opportunity for 13 weeks at Bibby’s on one of their contracts out of Wigan (I’m from Wigan).

It’s night trunking in curtainsiders, delivering palletised goods to RDC’s.

I will of course have to pass a driving assessment, which should be ok…apart from the reversing…which I haven’t had any practice at since passing my test in May!!

Agency boss said that Bibby’s are very hot on H & S, give drivers regular D & D tests onsite, and are generally very strict…but he says that they are a good company to work for.

I’ve seen plenty of their trucks about on my travels…but can anyone on here tell me what Bibby’s are like to work for?..and what their driving assessments are like?

…I’m due to start on Monday night!!

Lancsdriver70:
…I’m due to start on Monday night!!

Well done! As said nothing is impossible, well maybe slamming a revolving door :smiley:

Well done mate :slight_smile: trunking is a sweet gig, bibby are a nice firm to work for in my experience. I only worked for them for 2 weeks covering a holiday, out of my local bardon depot. I think you’ll be fine with it mate.

Don’t forget to do a write up of your first day and let us all know how it went :slight_smile:

Lancsdriver70:
Thanks for advice guys. Spent loads of time ringing around and applying for Class 1 positions this week…had plenty of knock-backs…but
one agency, which I’ve just signed up for, have managed to get me a Temp-to-Perm Class 1 opportunity for 13 weeks at Bibby’s on one of their contracts out of Wigan (I’m from Wigan).

It’s night trunking in curtainsiders, delivering palletised goods to RDC’s.

I will of course have to pass a driving assessment, which should be ok…apart from the reversing…which I haven’t had any practice at since passing my test in May!!

Agency boss said that Bibby’s are very hot on H & S, give drivers regular D & D tests onsite, and are generally very strict…but he says that they are a good company to work for.

I’ve seen plenty of their trucks about on my travels…but can anyone on here tell me what Bibby’s are like to work for?..and what their driving assessments are like?

What Agency was that with mate? I am your literal clone, passed my Class 1 in May, from Wigan, seem to be stuck on Rigids atm.

Told you so! :wink:

All you need is one agency who are prepared to give you a chance. All the knock backs and rejections then have no meaning at all, you found your lucky break.

Now, be careful, keep your nose clean, keep the truck even cleaner (no knocks, ■■■■■ or scrapes), then you’ll get onto a permanent contract and you’re well on your way to becoming an experienced trucker.

Good luck!