Importing trailer from Benelux

Has anyone recently imported trailers to the UK and could shed some light about the procedure?

We are looking to import a Krone SDP27 curtainsider

The best advice here is for you to ring the type approval technical department at DVSA in Swansea, you’ll find them very helpful.

My own experience now a little out of date is that if it is pre 2012 it’s not a problem just needs a first test, if it’s post 2012 and has an EU type approval indicated by a type approval number on the plate starting with a lower case “e” it’s even easier, if however it has a national e.g. German or French type approval rather than an EU just don’t go there, an absolute nightmare. If the supplier tries to tell you that converting a German or similar approval into a UK one is just a simple paper excercise, they are talking nonsense. I know of a different German manufacturer who sent across three brand new flats with German type approval thinking it would be easy, sat them in a yard and after a year and several thousand pounds had passed gave up and took them back to Germany.

Get a good photo of the manufacturers plate and speak to Swansea before making any commitments.

Get the chassis number, and contact Krone, ask them for its certificate of conformity. Once you have that you need to book a 1st test, you’ll also need to do a nova statement, which is straightforward, to inform HMRC that you’ve imported a vehicle. I brought a trailer over from Sweden in January, and that was all I had to do.

Cracker is quite correct, if it has an EU type approval or CoC, but miles away if it doesn’t. Just because it is built by a large reputable manufacturer do not assume that it will have an EU approval rather than a German one, this is not necessarily true.