Importance of insurance

I just found interesting case in Polish news:
rzeszow.gazeta.pl/rzeszow/1,3496 … FILM_.html

In short: last friday the Romanian truck went off the road and fell onto its side. The emergency services arrived, checked that everyone is all right, checked that nothing dangerous was carried in the tanker, pumped diesel out the trucks tank and decided that they don’t have a crane big enough to put it back on the wheels. They can use one owned by private company, but someone has to pay for it.

Contacted the Romanian haulage company but they weren’t interested in paying. The drivers dont’ want to pay from their own pockets, as it’s a fortune for them and they don’t trust that their employer will pay it back to them. Romanian embassy is not interested in the problem as well as according to them no Romanian citizen is in danger. The crane owner said that he can help them at cost, but it is still some cash and they cannot afford it.

There was an idea to pull the lorry off the ditch and then put it onto the police secure pound until its owner will pay for the services, but Polish law don’t allow this: only vehicles which were parked illegally or broke law in other way, or which were recovered after being stolen can be put onto secure police parking.

It is a pat situation, and this poor sods, who don’t speak any language except Romanian spend one night in the cab of capsized lorry, and over the weekend they were living in a van lend to them by one of the people who live in that village. Now the other Romanian drivers stop next to them and they sit with them in their cabs…

I wonder what will going to happen next. So far last news on the case are that Fire Brigade with the Crane company attempted to try to remove the truck, but it turned out to be much more complicated operation that they expected and the road will have to be closed for long hours, which makes Police not too happy about it…

I like the company name Safe Ro :slight_smile: not a nice situation to get in, if i was the driver i’d hitch a ride home with another Romanian if the boss wasn’t interested in sorting it out, i doubt he got a job there anymore :frowning:

Somebody must have sufficient financial interest in the truck to pay for the recovery.

I met a UK haulier recently whose insurance was up for renewal. He was paying £30K but when we checked his policies he really was not sufficiently covered. (Goods in Transit was under stated, amount of Euro work was under stated etc etc). We re-assessed his requirements got the correct cover and presented him with a bill for £40K (being the cost of insuring things correctly). Not surprisingly he stuck with his existing insurer as that is £10K cheaper. Make sense? No! Understandable? Yes!

The point is not that he has saved £10K but that he has potentially wasted £30K. In a large claim he would not be covered. There is no point paying for insurance that does not insure you. However, I fully understand why he chose to stay with his existing insurer and, if I am honest, I would probably have done the same!

I’m not sure how you fix a problem like this - it is easy to produce a cover note but not easy to understand whether it actually ‘covers’ enough.

Poor soul driver! it’s seem his boss don’t care his actros and silo trailer stuck in different country and don’t bother to collect them to return back to Romania? must be lots of fortune to him :unamused:

The truck is removed now.

Some recovery company agreed to drop their price from 4000 euro to 2100 euro for that service, they send two recovery vehicles but failed to put the lorry back on track. It turned out that it fell on the tree, which broke and the rest of it pierced the tank, so it was forked on it.

Finally they managed to do it with help of heavy crane given by company named ICS from Stalowa Wola for free (I think the guy deserves some publicity for that).

The company owner, who arrived there in person claims that he was insured but the insurer is trying to sneak out from paying for this claim and that’s why it took so long.

The first results of the examination shows that the truck went of the road to avoid head on crash with some other truck overtaking illegaly who never stopped.

orys:
The first results of the examination shows that the truck went of the road to avoid head on crash with some other truck overtaking illegaly who never stopped.

There’s a guy on youtube with lots of videos made in Poland showing reckless driving, usually involving illegal overtaking by Lithuanian trucks. Whilst he he obviously very anti-Lithuanian, some of the manouvers pulled by those LT trucks are very shocking and after watching several of the videos I can fully understand how this tanker came to crash if those events are as common as the videos portray them to be.

How can you sleep in an upside down bunk?

toby1234abc:
How can you sleep in an upside down bunk?

a proper driver would manage ya big tart … :grimacing:

The windows would let the cold in the cab. :smiley:.No windscreen in the photo.

just keep your HIVIZ on and you,ll be fine , the cold cant get you with HIVIZ on can it …?

The Romanians are a tough bunch,he would be better off camping in the woods,pull out the bunk from the cab and build a shelter.

toby1234abc:
The Romanians are a tough bunch,he would be better off camping in the woods,pull out the bunk from the cab and build a shelter.

a shanty town you mean ? good point…

Before time,there will be hundreds of Romanians camping it up in the woods. :slight_smile:

i know ! dam foriegners , some of them dont even speak english you know , ffs whatever next . :unamused: :grimacing: