Impatient truck drivers

Baggie:

robroy:
There is also a Bell End in Leeds (well quite a few really :smiley: )
It’s a small village.

So there’s more than one Bell End in Britain ■■?
I’d never have guessed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sounds to me like there would be a few prickends living in bellend…though im just wondering how long itl be before the no fun nazis will make the autocensor blott out prickend. :slight_smile:

robroy:
It’s a small village.

There was a bell end in Kent

It was a carrot picker

I don’t think Pimpdaddy posts on here anymore though.

I couldn’t give a monkeys what the arguments are, i’m someone who leaves a big gap, stays in the same lane and just keeps it rolling whilst letting everybody in. It’s just more relaxing & ultimately, we all get to the front of the queue & to where we are going at more or less the same time anyway.

If it winds up the guys in a hurry, then thats a bonus. :smiling_imp:

I unfortunately suffer a lot of traffic on my commute home from work & I have tried both methods. The typical method the rushers incorporate of stop, starting and closing every gap saves me virtually no time at all.

Anyway, surely the less braking going on in traffic queues the better?

rob22888:
I couldn’t give a monkeys what the arguments are, i’m someone who leaves a big gap, stays in the same lane and just keeps it rolling whilst letting everybody in. It’s just more relaxing & ultimately, we all get to the front of the queue & to where we are going at more or less the same time anyway.

If it winds up the guys in a hurry, then thats a bonus. :smiling_imp:

I unfortunately suffer a lot of traffic on my commute home from work & I have tried both methods. The typical method the rushers incorporate of stop, starting and closing every gap saves me virtually no time at all.

Anyway, surely the less braking going on in traffic queues the better?

And saves on fuel

tachograph:

Rowley010:
Was in a queue moving slowly on a narrow bit of the road, in a queue I like to tickle along slowly to keep moving rather than keeping on coming to a complete stop and start again. So I’ve got about a 2 car gap between me and the stationary cars in front but I am still moving. Artic driver comes hammering it down towards us and as he gets close to me he realises he can’t squeeze through the gap between me and the side of the road until I had gone forward a bit. He’s leaning out of the window at me “f ing move forward”, even though I was already moving forward.

People who insist on moving slowly instead of keeping up with the traffic create problems for other road users, I’m guessing that you’d been doing this for a while and leaving long gaps in the traffic and that’s probably what got the other drivers back up.

By crawling forward leaving long gaps in the traffic you increase the length of the queue, you only need one or two people doing this and it can block junctions that would otherwise be clear, people further back in the queue that you’re helping to create may want to leave at those junctions but can’t because of your inconsiderate driving.

edit: To add that as not all vehicles are geared the same what was a steady trickle for you may have been bloody inconvenient for the other driver, that doesn’t excuse his impatience but may go some way to explain it.

Yes, our friends the queue stretchers can cause a lot of problems that they are blissfully unaware of.

switchlogic:
To be fair with the modern second counting tachos constantly rolling can use a lot more driving time than stop start. I used to be a constant roller myself but now stop start instead

You don’t half change your mind a lot switch! It was only the other week you had a video out where you were leaving a big gap in traffic on the M25 and saying what a good approach it is!

Not sure i’d wanna do a job where being 15 minutes less down the road at the end of the day is such a big deal…

dieseldog999:

Baggie:

robroy:
It’s a small village.

So there’s more than one Bell End in Britain ■■?
I’d never have guessed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sounds to me like there would be a few prickends living in bellend…though im just wondering how long itl be before the no fun nazis will make the autocensor blott out prickend. :slight_smile:

I kid you not - “Maserati Quattroporte went head on into Prickend Pond in Chistlehurst”
thisislocallondon.co.uk/news … st_Common/

As for keeping it rolling in queues; a leaky oil bearing giving a juddering clutch (back in the day) gives credence to the practice. And if for nowt else, it adds a bit of fun, a bit of a challenge, keeps you wide awake and in focus, positives outwiegh the negatives, +1 from me.

driving a manual,keep it rolling…driving an auto…bumper to bumper and none shall pass…you only have 2 feet,you dont need 3 pedals to make it hard work.

My knees are bad ,so i keep it rollin! They luv me on the M25 :open_mouth: :smiley:
:unamused:

rob22888:

switchlogic:
To be fair with the modern second counting tachos constantly rolling can use a lot more driving time than stop start. I used to be a constant roller myself but now stop start instead

You don’t half change your mind a lot switch! It was only the other week you had a video out where you were leaving a big gap in traffic on the M25 and saying what a good approach it is!

Not sure i’d wanna do a job where being 15 minutes less down the road at the end of the day is such a big deal…

Not really, you’re being somewhat selective. I said leaving a gap at a slip road to let people in is a good approach. Sometime 15 minutes is difference between catching a ferry or not so may not be that big a deal for you but it is for some

Full auto…

Large gap, keep it rolling that’s the way I’ve always done it.

tachograph:

Rowley010:
Was in a queue moving slowly on a narrow bit of the road, in a queue I like to tickle along slowly to keep moving rather than keeping on coming to a complete stop and start again. So I’ve got about a 2 car gap between me and the stationary cars in front but I am still moving. Artic driver comes hammering it down towards us and as he gets close to me he realises he can’t squeeze through the gap between me and the side of the road until I had gone forward a bit. He’s leaning out of the window at me “f ing move forward”, even though I was already moving forward.

People who insist on moving slowly instead of keeping up with the traffic create problems for other road users, I’m guessing that you’d been doing this for a while and leaving long gaps in the traffic and that’s probably what got the other drivers back up.

By crawling forward leaving long gaps in the traffic you increase the length of the queue, you only need one or two people doing this and it can block junctions that would otherwise be clear, people further back in the queue that you’re helping to create may want to leave at those junctions but can’t because of your inconsiderate driving.

edit: To add that as not all vehicles are geared the same what was a steady trickle for you may have been bloody inconvenient for the other driver, that doesn’t excuse his impatience but may go some way to explain it.

I wouldn’t call a 2 car gap a large gap and it’s better to keep rolling than to keep stop starting. All advanced driving teaches you that. If everyone did it then it would actually smooth the flow of a queue and keep everyone moving. It’s the ones who come to a schreeching halt like it’s a sudden surprise that there is queue that brings the road to a complete stop.

Just to add to my own thread, was coming down the m6 this morning, heavy traffic, truck in lane 2 probably doing about 53, leaving a gap before the next vehicle which is doing the same speed as him, scruffy looking yodel truck comes zooming up behind him and goes about 2 inches from his back bumper, the signs are all saying queue ahead, so that’s plenty of information there to suggest that vehicles maybe very slow or stationary ahead, so if we apply our brain to the situation it’s not a good idea to sit 2 inches from someone’s back when you can’t see what’s ahead of them. Next things he moves halfway out into lane 3 and starts flashing his lights. Driver of the one in front didn’t react good on him. Next, you’ll never guess what, all 3 lanes come to a crawl like the signs said, including mr yodel in his massive rush. Hope I never work for a company where I feel I have to rush that much. if your close to your time it’s still not worth endangering the life’s of other road users because your in a rush.

Rowley010:
Hope I never work for a company where I feel I have to rush that much.

Speaking of which, I’ve never yet seen a Tufnell’s motor (the night trunking drawbars) driving normally. They always seem to hammer everywhere on the limiter, even past our yard which is 30mph.

ezydriver:

Rowley010:

Speaking of which, I’ve never yet seen a Tufnell’s motor (the night trunking drawbars) driving normally. They always seem to hammer everywhere on the limiter, even past our yard which is 30mph.

Par for the course with timed parcel deliveries…

tachograph:
People who insist on moving slowly instead of keeping up with the traffic create problems for other road users

I really appreciate some of the wisdom you’ve given on drivers hours, WTD and other tachograph related issues, I’ve found your advice spot on… but I totally disagree with your above point about traffic…

NO we don’t create problems for other road users, we solve them!

If you had the benefit of seeing the traffic flow in your lane, miles behind you, you’d see nothing but a line of stationary, and stop/start traffic…

Your ( and 90% of other drivers! ) insistence on steaming ahead into every gap that appears in front of you to ride the [zb] of the vehicle in front means you’re continually braking and causing a chain reaction that travels backwards and helps to block the very junctions you’re so keen to keep clear!

We ‘Lane Stretchers’ on the other hand… EAT traffic jams with our smooth driving style, and increase the traffic flow for everyone behind us…

If you could see miles behind in our lane… you’d see a line of traffic all moving along at a reasonably uniform speed & passing those
same junctions at a faster average speed and clearing the way for other vehicles to exit or join the motorway!

That’s NOT just my opinion, there’s a ton of evidence from highway planners & traffic engineers saying the same thing… and it’s the
reason the variable speed signs are a sound idea in principle (to regulate the traffic flow) if EVERYONE actually obeyed them… but unfortunately, impatient people DON’T and that’s why YOU stop start, and WE keep moving! :laughing:

I think the wisdom in the parable of the hare and tortoise should be reflected on here. I’m with the slow but continual movement side as it’s a generally sound philosophy for life, not just traffic flows.

ezydriver:
I think the wisdom in the parable of the hare and tortoise should be reflected on here. I’m with the slow but continual movement side as it’s a generally sound philosophy for life, not just traffic flows.

My thoughts exactly ezydriver! :smiley:

AndrewG:

ezydriver:

Rowley010:

Par for the course with DANGEROUS INCOMPETENT PUSH- PLANNING WITH NO LEEWAY timed parcel deliveries…

ftfy :bulb:

Lennoxtown:

tachograph:
People who insist on moving slowly instead of keeping up with the traffic create problems for other road users

NO we don’t create problems for other road users, we solve them!

If you had the benefit of seeing the traffic flow in your lane, miles behind you, you’d see nothing but a line of stationary, and stop/start traffic…

Your ( and 90% of other drivers! ) insistence on steaming ahead into every gap that appears in front of you to ride the [zb] of the vehicle in front means you’re continually braking and causing a chain reaction that travels backwards and helps to block the very junctions you’re so keen to keep clear!

We ‘Lane Stretchers’ on the other hand… EAT traffic jams with our smooth driving style, and increase the traffic flow for everyone behind us…

If you could see miles behind in our lane… you’d see a line of traffic all moving along at a reasonably uniform speed & passing those
same junctions at a faster average speed and clearing the way for other vehicles to exit or join the motorway!

That’s NOT just my opinion, there’s a ton of evidence from highway planners & traffic engineers saying the same thing… and it’s the
reason the variable speed signs are a sound idea in principle (to regulate the traffic flow) if EVERYONE actually obeyed them… but unfortunately, impatient people DON’T and that’s why YOU stop start, and WE keep moving! :laughing:

Hang on a bit I haven’t said anything about “steaming ahead into every gap that appears” or sticking that close to the vehicle in front :grimacing:

The problem isn’t people who keep a safe and realistic distance from the vehicle in front, the problem is that whenever there’s a long queue there’s inevitably people who insist on doing as little braking or stopping as possible, this often involves crawling along with a space in front that you could park a small fleet of artics in :frowning:

keeping a sensible distance from the vehicle in front is one thing, but when people insist on leaving very long gaps it creates queues longer than they need to be and results in blocked junctions ec’t.

I agree about variable speed signs though, used properly they do keep traffic moving smoothly.