Immigration.

Hi.

I am from Denmark and for the past two weeks my wife and I have been talking about leaving Europe and try our luck stateside.

I am 43 years old, married and have an 11 year old son.
Been driving for about 6 years all over Europe.

Right now I am employed by a company ( Swe-Dane) doing two runs a week to BeNeLux.

Have to get in touch with Roy about them…
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewto … 6f6#230697

Before that I have worked for H.P. Therkelsen in Padborg driving reefers.
But they decided to get rid of all the danish drivers and hire germans instead.

We have done a lot of research on the matter…that is…when I´m home :smiley:

I am well aware of all hurdles after reading on this forum, but then again you guys say it can be done.

My wife says no to the idea about hauling combines because she wants me to find a steady job so we can settle down and don´t have to go back to Denmark for a new visa.
We have chosen Montana as the state we want to live in if we manage to get across the Pond.

If I have to drive OTR for Swift and the likes I will do that…no biggie because I am used to driving the thing I sit on off anyways!!!

Any hints, inputs and contacts wil be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance
MichaelCS

I hate to say this, but after living in the States for 9 years, I wouldn’t recommend any European to try and live there…

The way of life is one of the most dishonest that I have ever seen.

They have lived in their own boundries for far too long. They even have difficulty in taking holidays overseas as they think that it doesn’t live up to their standards.

I’m even worried that my children are going to grow up with a bigated attitude about the rest of the world…

Immigration is just one of the difficult areas to contend with… The process is not as easy as they proport in the litrature… Its a case of “Not what you know, but who you know” that makes the differnece.

The only State that was anywhere near being understanding with Utah…

My ex wife and family come from the worst State… Colorado…

Just watch your back with them…

I’m sorry PaulDuncans opinion of America is a tad negative. But he did live here for 9 years and that is plenty of time to find out the pro’s and cons of the country.
My opinion after 9 years also is that America isn’t Europe…it has its faults. It also has opportunities for anybody that wants to get on to come here and make it. As Paul stated legal immigration is a bear now and unless you are on the “wanted list” it is extremely difficult to get in. Another thing to consider is wages…I won’t throw in comparisons here but research it…wages here for truckers won’t touch what you are probably earning in Europe. Best thing to do is to visit your preferred destination and research the heck out of everything to see if it meets up to your expectaton.
On a final note “never say never” but we wouldn’t consider returning to the UK as we have a better lifestyle here and we are comfortable with most aspects of American life.

Thanks for the answers.

My wife and I have talked it over and we are not discouraged
about the more negative views of the american way of life.

The american way of life appeals to us and we would bend over backwards
to make sure we´d fit in…if we ever get overthere that is :grimacing:

By the way…

I was reading about Qualcomm over on Trucknet US and thought…maybe I´m going to “play” with that one day.

Been driving for Swe-dane for about a year and we have satellite communication and the the other day I looked at the left hand corner on my keyboard and the sign said…Qualcomm.

Guess I´m not only getting old but blind as well!!!

It’s just possible Michael that the Yanks have different rules for Danes than for Britons - but I doubt it. :cry:

The differnece is how the State governments see themselves… most are decent and offer help and direction, but there are few hardliners that think they rule the world and no-one has the right to question…

It’s alot like the EU in the sense that you have your poor states and your rich states,the rich states being California,New York ,Texas and your poorer states being Mississippi and W.Virginia (?).The rest of the states fall somewhere in between.
Like the EU the best paying jobs and schools are in the wealthier states and consequently so is the highest priced housing.