Im sure this is another urban myth

just been talking to another driver and he told me its illegal to have a number plate in the cab window!! It obstructs your view apparently! Surely this means sat navs arent allowed to be there then!! Im sure he is talking zb,but can somebody back me up? Thanks

Potter:
just been talking to another driver and he told me its illegal to have a number plate in the cab window!! It obstructs your view apparently! Surely this means sat navs arent allowed to be there then!! Im sure he is talking zb,but can somebody back me up? Thanks

Technically it is illegal to have anything which restricts the view.

For a minor infringement you would probably just get told to remove it.

If an ‘incident’ occured and it was deemed that the obstruction to the view was partially to blame then you would be in hot water :exclamation: :exclamation:

when i did my class 2 training a few weeks ago, there was a number plate in the windscreen infront of me, from the W+D test he had done that morning.

I insisted it was moved before i set off as the sun could reflect off it into my eyes while i was driving. better to be safe than sorry :smiley:

Depends on how the truck is designed.

I’d imagine in legal terms it would be illegal if it obstructs the field of vision i.e. where the windscreen wipers go as in a MOT.

If like quite a lot of trucks there is an area between the dashboard and the windscreen where there is a kinda drop, that shouldnt be illegal to have something like a number plate there because it shouldnt be obstructing the field of vision, because you can’t really see out that area anyways.

But from comments ive heard depends on VOSA, who at times seem to make up their own rules.

field of vision

That’s the important bit :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

its legal if it is below the wipers at rest

ROG:

field of vision

That’s the important bit :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That would be the whole screen then otherwise it wouldnt need to be glass.

I was told that anything in the sweep of the windscreen wipers is’nt allowed :confused: so i guess it depends on whether you have an over zealous jobsworth VOSA man as to whether you would get done or not. :wink:

another good myth I’ve heard is that lift axles have to be down always whether empty or loaded…something to do with taxation on the amount of axles or something and if you are caught with it up you will be tried as a witch and burnt at the stake or something along those lines.

the easy way i get round it is to buy some of those hooks with suckers on the back of them, drill two holes in the plate and hang it from the top of the windscreen, it hangs down about 4 inches and does not obstruct my view at all. if i get stopped and vosa point out it is restricting my view i would ask restricting it in what way? from seeing planes coming into land or people stood on bridges?

it is legally an offence but they would have to be very ■■■■ to do you for it. i presume most would just ask you to remove it!

This one that should be an urban myth but weirdly it’s true. I have my name plate in the bottom left hand corner slightly above the wiper i know i could get done but if vosa are that petty they’ll get me for something anyway. As for the axle myth surely everytime its up a darling would give you a bit back.

some drivers i have known in the past have used elastic bands to attach their nameplate to the sun visor. others have stuck it to the front of the dashboard rather than the windscreen itself. there are ways around the regulations :wink:

you could of course attach it to the grill instead. if its not a shared cab

Kenny1975:
I’d imagine in legal terms it would be illegal if it obstructs the field of vision i.e. where the windscreen wipers go as in a MOT.

Thats what i undersood too. However it kind of makes me using the sun visors in my Merc illegal :open_mouth:

Mike-C:

Kenny1975:

Thats what i undersood too. However it kind of makes me using the sun visors in my Merc illegal :open_mouth:

it would be the same for every truck then,especially those waste of space greenhouse MANs.
I have my sun visors down all day every day rain or shine,it helps me focus on the road :neutral_face:

Well, I have removed my BLUE rope lights now!!! :laughing:

The ■■■ can only cope with so much traffic!!! ONE WAY I MIGHT ADD!!! :wink:

My name plate is on the grill, the only thing in my windscreen is my Sat-Nav. :wink:

I would say it depends on the mood of the VOSA officer concerned who decides to stop you.

They would be very busy if they stopped ALL trucks with things in view, ie the one BRITISH truck I saw on the 25 the other week with a 15" TV on his dash! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Think he was watching ■■■■ whores at the time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Couldn’t see the driver, his frillies (curtains) were in the way :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m lead to believe forthcoming legislation will put a swift stop to drivers (of all vehicles) sticking things like sat navs to their windscreens. I think the cause is more directed at cars drivers (who obviously have a much reduced area of glass to play with). We’ve all seen them: Some nutter who has a 10-inch portable sat nav stuck slap bang in the middle of the windscreen.