I'm going to start doing container work

I’m going to start doing container work this month
and have never done any before so any advice for a
newbie is greatly received also I have my adr but never
used it but will do sometimes on this work.

Do your twist locks up, have a good look at trailer so you understand how to set it up.
Dont stress about not knowing the score at different locations, just ask.
Take it easy on roundabouts.

If you tell us were you are based you may get the local sp.

Undo the twist locks befor it gets lifted off

I’m doing holiday cover subby work and be doing work
for different maritime depots days, nights and tramping.

Just keep an eye on your Daily Duty time, with all that kipping you’ll be doing!

I think I read on here years ago that someone
could not get the twist locks closed so driven
forward slowly and braked then they could close
the locks also if box is not on right?.

Do I need any tools for the work?. Dill they still have
fights at the docs?.

If you can’t close the twistlocks get the crane driver to lift the box again.
This is the time you find out that they DO still have fights at the docks!

convoy:
I think I read on here years ago that someone
could not get the twist locks closed so driven
forward slowly and braked then they could close
the locks also if box is not on right?.

Do I need any tools for the work?. Dill they still have
fights at the docs?.

Sometimes a 40’ or 45’ wont settle one or other of the rear locks, if the box is down on the other 3 take a tight turn once you’ve cleared the ■■■■■■/Forklit, it will usually bang down as the skelly twists. and yes sometimes if the box is too hard against the locks they are tight. There is quite a bit of tolerance between the locks and the box so those occurance are rare. I find a lump hammer quiet usefull, some times the door handles are tight too open or close.

Main thing is to be laid back because you will have a lot off sitting about, I sat from 1pm to 11am the next day in Bedford last week, box sent on the wrong day, so was told to stay and tip in the morning, thank god for salary :wink:

I enjoyed it with Brian Rayner subbing for Elite.You get to all over the Uk and i had a bike when tipping a box for five to six hours and they would call me when done.So cycled lanes.Watch out for top heavy loads as no warning on paperwork.

If one might make a sensible suggestion (a first, for me!) in addition to the lump hammer heretofore mentioned, arm yourself with a one-metre length of strong steel tube. This is because the rear doors or the locks will probably be strained out of shape and will need a bit of persuasion to fasten back up.

As well as putting you at an advantage in the fight which ensues every time you ask the craney to relift the box!

Retired Old ■■■■:
As well as putting you at an advantage in the fight which ensues every time you ask the craney to relift the box!

There’s no fight with ■■■■■■ drivers at Felixstowe, coz you cant fight someone who wont even acknoledge that you are there :unamused:

Thanks for the advice anything that makes my life easier doing new work im all for. Found these to read -

viewtopic.php?p=176910
viewtopic.php?p=335189
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89248
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78308

:smiley:

A big hammer bolt croppers and a crowbar that’s what I have

Make sure you know where you’re going at Felixstowe it’s easy to get lost and just be driving around aimlessly, ahem.

You have to be in exactly the right place between the white lines of your slot at felix or they won’t crane your box on. Ahem.

Silver_Surfer:
Make sure you know where you’re going at Felixstowe it’s easy to get lost and just be driving around aimlessly, ahem.

You have to be in exactly the right place between the white lines of your slot at felix or they won’t crane your box on. Ahem.

Is this the voice off experience :wink: ,

also make your in the right row, you’re not popular if the ■■■■■■ driver try’s dig out your box, and then you realise you’re in the wrong row :blush:

Check your Twistlocks, nothing worse than having your trailer lifted as well as the box :blush:

Make sure locking pins are secure are out and in the correct positions!!

Make sure the locking pins are in the correct position for that box… E.G if you have a 20FT on with it in the 40FT position on the pins it can get hairy!

Yeah take it easy on roundabouts etc, as you dont know how the box has been loaded and most of the time you dont even know whats in it until you open the doors!

OH YEAH>>>> BE CAREFUL WHEN OPENING THE BACK DOORS, AS STUFF DOES LIKE TO DROP OUT!!! the last thing you want is a load of boxes coming at you… BE REALLY CAREFUL OF THIS!!!

Sounds daft but make sure you double check the box numbers as well when your hooking up some can be VERY similar!

make sure you carry and lump hammer and piece of scaffolding or something similar as some of the doors can be a nightmare!

But most importantly!!! Take loads of food, books, DVD’s etc etc as you will be doing a lot of waiting around!

I think thats about it really. Im sure i have missed a couple of things… but im sure youll find them out your self!

If you need any help or advice mate send me a PM and you can have my number :slight_smile:

drivergraham:
A big hammer bolt croppers and a crowbar that’s what I have

why?

For nipping the security tags/bolts off the doors.

cieranc:

not the drivers responsibility, that is purely down to the customer

if the driver stops for a break, and the container gets broken in to whilst he is in the cafe feeding his face, if the driver has bolt cutters, the suspicion can fall upon him, as he has the means and the time to be able to get in to the container

if the customer has not got bolt cutters, then that is their problem, not the drivers

the drivers job is to deliver the container to the customer, the customer then does what he wants with it and takes as long as he wants to do it

cieranc:

Is that so you can pilfer the box before you get to ya drop :smiling_imp: